How does one become a Prop Manager/Maker/Designer?

Hey Im 19 going on 20 in a few months and im verry interested in making props and such as a career but I dont know where to start. What does it take to get started in such a field? gimmie all the details!
Thanks!
-Scott

Well i am quite artistic. i just dont know how to get more experience. like id love to know how to work with laytex and molds to make masks and everything. but i dont know where id learn any of that

you need to get in as an intern or work with someone who sometimes posts up here on the RPF trying to help people get a foot start in the industry. The main stranglehold of major films and tv shows are the established prop masters. It takes one to either leave the earth or retire before someone else can step up. Most of these people have agents or are, so to say, "in bed" with someone on production whether it be a lead actor, production coordinator or producer. Its a very insecure line of work considering you are self employed and only as good as your last job. If the work dries up or you drop out of the loop, its like starting all over again. In other words, have a back up plan to eat and pay bills. If you into working for money, drive fancy cars and wear the latest clothes, your better off working at the Gap. Art dept is the most important aspect of a film/tv project yet one of the most disrespected lines of work in the industry. Oddly enough, its also the funnest.

Get yourself a copy of "the prop builders Molding and casting handbook" by thurston James.
Its been around for years and is always available on amazon.com. That will give you a good start on the molding process. Some of the materials have improved a lot ie silicon is used much more widely than latex , but the principles are the same. Get yourself some good sculpting clay and practice making and molding your stuff. Don't doubt your abilities.

As Rob said you will not get rich working in the industry. There was over 500 production members on star wars ep2&3 and most of them weren't on the credits and as part of there contracts were not allowed to put it on there cv/resume. Most of them were just trimming and sanding or cutting and finishing off stuff. that was poured by the prop shop. There was no glory or special thanks from lucasfilm or any accreditation for their work.

This is how the industry works and after that production is done there may be a long wait for the next one. Not trying to discourage you but there's no hollywood glitz attached to this sort of work. As Rob said though if you can get some sort of internship with a good firm that is the best way to learn.

I think Tom Spinna was looking last week for individuals with some experience at molding etc so the opportunities do come up , just need to practice your craft.

you need to get in as an intern or work with someone who sometimes posts up here on the RPF trying to help people get a foot start in the industry. The main stranglehold of major films and tv shows are the established prop masters. It takes one to either leave the earth or retire before someone else can step up. Most of these people have agents or are, so to say, "in bed" with someone on production whether it be a lead actor, production coordinator or producer. Its a very insecure line of work considering you are self employed and only as good as your last job. If the work dries up or you drop out of the loop, its like starting all over again. In other words, have a back up plan to eat and pay bills. If you into working for money, drive fancy cars and wear the latest clothes, your better off working at the Gap. Art dept is the most important aspect of a film/tv project yet one of the most disrespected lines of work in the industry. Oddly enough, its also the funnest.

Great info thank you for the advice!

Your both at the right age. Take the chances and make mistakes while your young. When your older, there isnt any excuse. Wait out the winter, through Feb then come out to LA and try your hand at it. If nothing happens, at least youve tried and can go back home. I wouldnt suggest wasting time and money on art schools. On the job training is the best bet, again, intern. Beg, Borrow and Steal, words to live by with art dept.

Prop Maker and Prop designer are very different jobs. Few go from one to another but it has been done.

Here are some things to do before you move to LA, and you will have to live in LA unless you know a prop guy personally in another place, like Canada or Australia.

1. Bring a book of your work. That's photos of things you have scratch built or original drawings/designs. No kits or X-wing drawings, you need to show your talent not somebody else's idea you changed. Remember the business is tough now and you are competing with folks that have 10 years of stuff in their "book".

2. Be prepared to work for free for the first year. "Internships" or slave, is a great way to build up experience and probably the only way they will bring you on over that guy who's been at it 10 or 15 years. This means you have to bring enough money to survive with you. There are lots of guys out here living at Mom's house who will work for free. If you land a gig work hard. Harder than anyone else in the shop. Never leave early, sleep is for old people.

3. Bring tools. Other than a big machine like a mill, nothing is supplied. Reaching into somebody else's toll box will get you bounced.

4. Do your research. Know the names of all the prop shops, their mangers, and get to know everybody. Who you know is 90% of getting a job in H-wood. 9% is luck or effort and 1% is talent. But talent will keep you working.

5. It's dog eat dog right now. There are guys with 20 years in props looking for work. Be prepared for tons of rejection.

If after reading this you still want to try, then you might have what it takes.

BTW. I guy I know who's been doing this 25 years has still never built a space ship.

BrianM

I'm sure local community play-houses and theatres could use an extra hand with their props, especially if your time is freely volunteered. Wouldn't hurt to ask.

your best bet would be to intern at a local prop shop or volunteer at a local theater. start off willing to learn anything then eventually when a paid job opens up you have an advantage over everyone else.

i agree that its 90% who you know. send your resume to every shop around you. drive down there unexpected and talk to the prop master. most of the time you will be brushed off unless you show them you are dedicated and wont give up!

I'm sixteen and also heavily interested in prop making and/or designing.
How hard is it to get an internship in a prop making company?

I'm a union Propmaker with 18 year's experience, and I've only worked 15 DAYS this entire year - and I'm one of the lucky ones! I've never seen things this bad in Los Angeles in the 20 years of living here.

This is actually not so hard. Getting a paid union gig is another story so....here are a few possibilities.

Begin with local productions in both live theatre as well as television and film. It's not that difficult to find people in larger Metropolitan areas that make independent films. This is not in any way to disrespect our union brothers and sister who have found good jobs, but don't expect such. They are basically protecting their livelihoods in a very tough industry.

You may decide that theatre production suits you. It is far easier to get into and will give you the opportunity to meet and work with the local IATSE Prop Master and carpenters. Regional and Summer Stock theatre may often be overlooked by many as a prop alternative, but if all you want is the ability to work, create and contribute along with some of the countries best artists.....it's a pretty good gig if you ask me. You wont be making a lot of space ships....but you'd be surprised at the opportunities that are presented at times. Musical theatre is one Genre as are "straight" plays with no music.

To me the search and research has always been a part of the fun. Finding what was needed not necessarily just building everything. Then being asked to create something on the fly within moments or just knowing your directors, set designers and casts needs well enough that things click to such a degree that...well...magic is created. It's all there.

I never really thought about "making it" as defined by any particular thing. I didn't settle, but found what worked for my creative need as well as personal needs, but have been rewarded with the great honor of meeting and working with people I would only see in papers or magazines.

But be prepared....as someone else put it, props are the most disrespected field in the production entertainment world. No awards for prop design, no mentions or criticism in reviews...well OK not good mentions at any rate...LOL!

I highly recommend live theatre. You can intern or volunteer with your local regional theatre. Start out with community theatre but remember at that level you do everything and the crossover to sets and costumes means you do a HUGE load of work for pennies or more likely, costing you a good deal of your own cash. LOL! Seriously.

But if you are a hard worker you can move from community theatre to volunteer or intern for regional theatre and then perhaps a Production assistant that could lead to a prop or set building assignement which in turn could lead to Assistant Props or Assistant to the Set Designer which could lead to the Props Cooridinator/Design position.

Be prepared for travel. I wasn't so my career was limited by my own desire to keep a home in one place but even then I managed to get a number of seasons under me in many different productions for nearly 20 years on and off.

Good luck or...break a leg.

We can't all be a Weta designer or artisan....but we can be or own version of success, without compromising our art.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back