Insulation Foam Smoothing... help ?

AJLoCascio

Sr Member
So I'm sculpting some parts for a prop, from several layers of polystyrene insulation foam stacked on top of one another, and it just isn't coming out right. I have a very limited budget, but I need the layers to be flush.

What kind of filler can I use to illiminate gaps and smooth the seams ?

I hear Bondo will eat through it, some resins work - but I'm broke and probably can't afford them.

Would epoxy putty or perhaps Elmers wood filler do the trick ?

I just don't want to abandoned the materials I'm using, so I need to make do with the polystyrene layers.

Moony

Drywall mud or patch compound works well on the material you're using, but take care not to put on a single layer too thick or it will take forever to dry and may crack due to shrink - it's much better to build thickness by layering up thin coats.

Drywall mud or patch compound works well on the material you're using, but take care not to put on a single layer too thick or it will take forever to dry and may crack due to shrink - it's much better to build thickness by layering up thin coats.

Thanks any thoughts on wood putty ? YOu think the drywall stuff will work best ?

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back