Another Captain America Shield

SMOKE

one night i was sitting out front and saw this table top heater and thought to myself, " hey that kinda looks like the capt's shield". i had some fiberglass mat and some resin lying around and decided to see if i could use it as a type of form to make a shield. i first coated it with sonite wax to help it release once the resin dried. here are some progress pics.
2010-10-16_14-38-18_93-1.jpg

2010-10-12_15-46-46_133-1.jpg

Last edited:
sorry about the double post thought i was editing the first post.. will just edit this one with progress pics..

after that all hardened i pried it off of the metal form and viola'.. basic shield shape. next comes roughing out the edges then bondo.

2010-10-13_13-42-02_491-1.jpg

roughing out the edges.
2010-10-13_14-22-46_304-1.jpg

bondo..
2010-10-14_10-53-19_538-1.jpg

then sand, sand, sand sand....

2010-10-15_10-41-30_882-1.jpg

added some blue...
2010-10-15_16-04-26_655-1.jpg

Last edited:
Are you seeing that as THE shield or the mold to make a shield.

You try to make THAT the shield, you're in for about a hundred years of sanding.

Are you seeing that as THE shield or the mold to make a shield.

You try to make THAT the shield, you're in for about a hundred years of sanding.

yes i am using THE heat shield to make THAT shield. lol and the sanding was a total pain having to block it ALL out. the outside of my shop area looked like a winter wonderland, my lady was not as impressed as i was...:lol

here's some more progress pics

added the red and started to mask out the stripes and star
2010-10-16_13-46-33_601-1.jpg

more masking and painted the white
2010-10-16_15-59-00_178-1.jpg

removed the tape and came up with something like this.. i still need to clean up the lines where the masking tape was but all in all pretty satisfied with it.
2010-10-16_16-22-11_109-1.jpg

Use a nail with a string and a brand new Xacto blade to cut the circles rather than trying to lay down a perfect taped circle.

Nice sanding job.

Use a nail with a string and a brand new Xacto blade to cut the circles rather than trying to lay down a perfect taped circle.

Nice sanding job.

thanks for the tip man! that would def make the circles perfect, i plan on retouching the paint soon. after i pulled the tape off it was a, "f#$k.." moment. will be using the nail and xacto when i clean it up:lol

im glad the sanding is over...for now. :)

similar to how i made mine..

my parents had a larger old satilite dish that was no longer of any use, i laid fiberglass into that as a mold and it worked perfectly.... but that was probably close to 10 years ago?

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back