Gestapo Major Toht

Bossk

For years people have told me that I "look like the Gestapo guy in Raiders of the Lost Ark", but stationed with the Army in Germany for years, and unaware of costume cons, I never put the outfit together, though did do historical costuming/reenacting for a multitude of periods from ancient Celts and Romans to modern Soviet troops for OPFOR classes with the Army.

But since coming back to the states and going to Dragon-Con and joining the 501st, I've bcome interested in film, sci-fi, and fantasy costuming as well, so put together my Major Toht this year and debuted it at Dragon-Con where it met with a lot of favorable comments. I didn't get any pictures of it though, but was contacted to be a Gestapo officer in a new film being made about WWII called the Red Rose of Normandy. It was filmed in the old Tennessee State Prison. I also played a German paratrooper and brought my Opel Blitz radio truck for the filming.

As with all of my historical costumes, I have tried to copy the film Toht as accurately as possible, and luckily there are some good film stills and even a highly detailed 12 inch action figure. The Overcoat is an old German original found at the Frankfurt Flea Market, and I never had a use for it until now. When I found the vintage, broad brimmed black fedora at the Nashville fleamarket, and since I had the P-38, and German wire rimmed glasses from doing WWII German reenacting I decided to do Toht and found the double breasted pin striped suit on Ebay. In one pic, I hold the Gestapo officer I'D. disc, though for Dragon-Con, I had the Toht's 'hand scar' made from taking a latex impression from the metal Staff of Ra prop supplied by fellow RPF member Tambo Fett. (I didn't take it to the film shoot though but will post a pic later on. )

I also made Toht's famous coat hanger, but didn't get a photographs of it in action yet.

Since the costume went over well, I am expanding it now with Toht's passport, gestapo ID card, and other props. I'll add more pics to this thread as I get them.

Last edited:
Thanks Moo. I have to admit this is one of my less complex costumes, but still a lot of fun.... expecially when doing the "coat hanger schtick"!

Very cool!!!!

If I may add a little critique... the hat should be a bound brim edge Fedora :rolleyes

Regards,

Marc

Very cool!!!!

If I may add a little critique... the hat should be a bound brim edge Fedora :rolleyes

Regards,

Marc

Thanks, and yes, I would have preferred it with a bound brim, and may even try to bind this one with black silk ribbon, but it was the only one I could find that had the slightly broader brim I was looking for, than the more common 50's-60's fedoras.

That is fantastic!

My only critique would be that Toht had a major overbite.

I am not sure if they gave him false upper teeth for the film to make him more Peter Lorre like or if they were his own.

Great look!

Great costume. Really awesome work! Do you have the burned hand thing worked out?

Thanks, and yes, I have the scar from the Staff of Ra and glued it to my hand at Dragon-con, but didn't get any pictures there. I didn't bring it to this shoot though, but will post photos when I wear the costume again. I also have the 'Coat Hanger'!

Very well done and yes you do look the part! :thumbsup

But man! Does the guy on the right of the pic of you three ever look like Aaron Eckhart! :confused

Kevin

Very well done and yes you do look the part! :thumbsup

But man! Does the guy on the right of the pic of you three ever look like Aaron Eckhart! :confused

Kevin

Thanks. I don't know the other two guys, they weren't part of our local reenactors, and I think they are friends of the guy making the movie.

That is fantastic!

My only critique would be that Toht had a major overbite.

I am not sure if they gave him false upper teeth for the film to make him more Peter Lorre like or if they were his own.

Great look!

Thanks. I actually have quite an overbite too, though never noticed it in Toht before. I guess I'll try to smile during the next photo shoot!

are those nsdap party badges with the gold oak leaf border ?

I believe the movie Toht has the normal party member version, which I wear, instead of the senior, gold edged version like the 12 inch action figure. While these figures are great, ocaassionally they make a mistake. For example, Toht carries a P-38 in the film, but has a luger as an action figure.

In reality, the Luger would be more realistic for they 1938, as the P-38 was just being developed.

Nice job on this! You should work on a melty face version for Halloween.

Thanks, and yes, I am planning on doing this. I want to make the Ark of the Coveanant for the Dragon Con Masquerade, and when it is opened therewill be smoke and then I'll put on the melted face. So far I won the prize with Bossk and the Draconian the past two years, so may enter Toht next year if I finish the props in time. I heard somebody makes the angels that kneel on the Ark, and I'll need these to finish it.

Dan from the moment I met you I knew this costume had to be done...You are perfect for it. I guess I need to get off my duff and finish a costume from Raiders to join you for next years DragonCon.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back