Vader, Lightsabers, Scans from 'Making of ESB Book'

James Kenobi 1138

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I scanned some photos from the new Making of The Empire Strikes Back book that I found interesting. I did not watermark these as they are not my photos and are publicly available.

Luke and Vader practicing the duel. Mark using the ANH shared Luke/Vader stunt, Prowse using the ANH V2 saber. You can tell Marks using the ANH stunt because you can see the white on/off button on between the grips, the old style Graflex knob on top and the Graflex glass eye on the bottom.

empire01-vi.jpg

Different day, Mark is now using the V2 and Bob the shared ANH stunt (again, the white on/off visible )

empire01b-vi.jpg

Mark with Graflex based bladed stunt saber. This one has the 1/2 inch smooth/shiny chrome tape on the clamp and Graflex ears as well as both red buttons.

empire02-vi.jpg

I believe Mark has the ANH stunt, but it's hard to tell at this angle but I'm pretty sure because there are no Graflex bunny ears and no Linhof d-ring on the bottom. Bob is using the V2 stunt.

empire03b-vi.jpg

empire03-vi.jpg

Also note that Bob's inner cape is the short Hoth style. There is a member here (Carson Dyle ?) who showed pics of this shorter inner cape on a set of screen used and/or Tour suit.

empire03c-vi.jpg

Let there be no doubt in anyone's mind that an MPP was converted into a bladed stunt saber. Marks bladed stunt is a converted Graflex- full bunny ears and both red buttons.

empire04-vi.jpg

It even has the circuit board in the clamp.

empire04b-vi.jpg

empire04c-vi.jpg

Again, Graflex converted bladed stunt.

empire05-vi.jpg

It can't be the ANH shared Luke/Vader stunt because of the bunny ears plus the Graflex clamp is in the 3 o'clock position and not at 12 o'clock.

empire05b-vi.jpg

Kershner with the V2 stunt.

empire05c-vi.jpg

empire05d-vi.jpg

MPP Hero saber on set. Not the Barbican.

empire06-vi.jpg

empire06b-vi.jpg

Here it gets interesting.

I think the bladed saber Mark is using is the one that we thought was the ROTJ Vader saber for so long, with the black midband and black control box.

The top and bottom are Graflex, but the midband and control box seem to be the black ones we all know.

empire08-vi.jpg

The control box is in the 3 o'clock position but the bunny ears give away that this is a Graflex.

empire08b-vi.jpg

You can see the red button between the bunny ears and Marks fingers.

empire09-vi.jpg

empire09b-vi.jpg

Again, bladed MPP stunt.

empire09c-vi.jpg

Dagobah stunt Darth Vader mid-explosion.

empire07-vi.jpg

The bladed saber he's holding seems to be the same converted MPP. It has the MPP style double elliptical port holes with wires between them, and an MPP clamp. That black circle just above the clamp could either be a dark piece of debris from the explosion, or a black headed bolt like the ones seen on the Barbican saber to hold the blade to the hilt.

empire07b-vi.jpg

Also note-worthy is the Vader leather suit. It has the super-wide spacing between the pleats like some of the Tour suits and the one that the RPF'ers friend had. Maybe one of them was screen used ? The gloves look like the Tour ones as well.

empire07c-vi.jpg

I didn't realize Luke took the Hoth Scanner to Dagobah with him to find Yoda. It's in his backpack on his left side.

empire010-vi.jpg

Yoda with a human hand.

empire010b-vi.jpg

Close-up of the prop.

empire010c-vi.jpg

Nice job James.

PS, the gloves are standard tie pilot/x-wing pilot gloves that were also used for tour vaders at times.

So who is going to make that lamp yoda is holding?

Get it blueprinted and off to Russrep!

Nice job James.

PS, the gloves are standard tie pilot/x-wing pilot gloves that were also used for tour vaders at times.

So who is going to make that lamp yoda is holding?

Awesome pics! I know it's a little OT but can you post the pic of Vader posing with troops on the Bespin set? Thanks in advance.

How many Yoda pictures are in this book? It's all sold out around here and thats my only real interest in the book honestly. I watched a customer review on amazon- he flipped haphazardly through the entire book, most of the yoda images I saw I already have.

At that point it would never be used again for Obi-Wan, so it was just a practice saber. Take the blade off and it's Lukes ROTJ screen saber.

Great pics!

On the second to last ESB Vader saber pic, what is that black spot on the lightsaber?

Is that debris or something on the saber?

These are scanned at 600dpi, drop me your email via PM if you want the full sized versions.

Sorry about the dust, I don't know if it was from the original picture, the book, or my scanner.

empire_darth-vi.jpg

empire_darthb-vi.jpg

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back