ANH Pyro X-Wing References - Mainly: Red 6 Search

Re: Looking for Pictures of Studio Model Red 6 from ANH

None of the originals have seats, and I don't believe there was a taper down to the floor. Unfortunately cockpits like the above cast floating around are not made the same way as the originals and we do not know for sure how deep the opening would have been. Here's a photo of an original that our own Treadwell took at a Planet Hollywood display where they had an exploded Pyro.

cockpitfromtreadwell.jpg

Its a 2 part construction front and back... difficult to see where exactly the floor would end in the shadows but its something. I doubt the original builders did anything beyond checking to see if he fits in there. 'Yep, still fits.' I heard you've got a resin Harrier pilot on the way!

This thread needs some pictures. This is all I've got on RED 6 currently. I'll double check my folder of SAG dvd grabs and get back to you.

33.jpg

n701032562_2025694_3886670.jpg

cap214.jpg

cap213.jpg

If I had to guess. That's Floquil Boxcar Brown next to the standard Caboose Red of the X stripes.

Last edited:

the boxcar brown is close but im thinking the floquil tuscan may be closer to red.

I'd like any more info on 6 as well.

Also, Can I throw out some questions about red1 or should I just start a new thread? It seems any x-wing thread brings the x-wing lovers out of the woodwork, so why start a new thread.

I think red 1 would be better as its own thread. It'll be easier to search for the info if you keep it separate.

I have all the usual pics. Here's my contribution. Maybe it'll help with the sculpt :)

From my end of the hard drive:

That's all I got, too. There has not been anything of note reference-wise, secret or otherwise, about this particular model that I have seen. I really do hope it's out there, of course, and with those Pyro/Hero/whatchamajiggers that surfaced a few years ago, anything is possible, and I fully expect more nutty unknown model pics to surface as LFL uncovers/digitizes their negatives and prints. There's a handful of "end of ESB fleet" ships that no one has actually seen outside of screengrabs... weird models, really cobbled together stuff. Did they take pics of THOSE models, too?

I sometimes wonder if every single bird from the films were documented well enough for the model maker. It stands to reason they were, right?
RIGHT?!?!

Yeah, the TESB fleet is one of my dreams, id kill for ref of those ships.
Ah well, we can dream, hope you guys find more on the 6, be great to see it done.

Lee

I have a tiny bit more. I'll dig it out tonight. Not everyone will agree with my identifications, though.

Considering the limited amount of available Pyro reference available individual threads may be redundant. Why not change the title of this thread to include all Pyro photos?

Seeing as the Pyro's, are the easiest on the eye, id call that a great idea.
Xwings do nothing for me anymore (sorry fans lol) but the sight of a Pyro with all those color hues, lil' black squares and decals.....well, yeah it still creates a stirring........ :lol
Still love to look at the Red3 pyro TBH, such a pretty, clean bird.

lee

Yeah, I'd support that. Whaddya say, TMG?

Edit - here's the other pics I have. Same as everyone's, I've just flipped them to the correct (???) orientations, played with brightness etc.

This pic should face this way (assuming the red-stripe Saturn can is on the left - I make that assumption because the video supports it, and video isn't easily flipped by accident like a still negative).

32a%20-%20corrected%20orientation.jpg

Ditto this one:

33.jpg

Untitled-Scanned-01f.jpg

Filming it - wish there was a good one of this:
X-Wing%20Pyro%201.jpg

In these two, note the gap between red fuse stripe and green area around the side not-a-mount-point - also green vertical stripe on lower fuselage side:

cap215.JPG

cap215A.JPG

- we know this is Red 6 because of the green area, the gap and the damaged wing trailing edge.

The sad end:

29a.jpg

Brightened version - note gap between red stripe and green not-a-mount-point cover:

29a1.jpg

- you can also make out the green vertical marking below the cockpit a little more clearly in these pics.

We have basically enough for this bird. It would be nice to have more details for the wings but I think we can be better than 60% accurate.

Last edited:
Okay, changed the title, but this is still mainly a Red 6 reference search thread. But I love any and all photos of the various X-Wings. Really didn't know they went all out on the pyro's like that. That's pretty cool.

Yup, got a pilot on the way. Some very generous member decided to help kick-start the project by sending me one. So... gotta honor that kick and start immediately when I get it. Doing the cockpit as I wait, and need to get those tools made, so things are ready.

So, lookign at these pics Martyn, id say its a safe bet, that Red6 Pyro, carries many of the panel hues used on the Red3 Hero?
Also, i wasnt aware Pyro's had a side mount?

lee

Yeah lee, that reddish brown sure looks the same eh? But the cockpit looks like the same colour and we know it started off bright red, so whether this was paint colour or a lot of overspray who can say...for my bird I'm going to start with a brighter red for all of those panels and see where it takes me...

Edit: durrhhh...meant to mention the green...I'm planning on using that Red 3 green too. Natch. That one, at least, seems pretty much certain.

LOL, you got me mate, yeah, no side mount, but you knew what I meant!! :p

Last edited:
No theres no side mount point, and you called it wrong, so stop backpeddling, or you get the hose :lol
Martyn, i kinda get a big feeling, this bird lost much of it red, mainly in the cockpit, hmm, but the underside pics, scream Red3 hue's, cockpit could be grey/green there....blooming tricky one mate.
Who knows, in ten years time, we'll get a high res publication containing this bird.....Mr Lucas knows best LOL.

lee

So, are there enough clues out there to show that the red canopy red 6 pyro is the same studio model as the red 6 pyro model we saw go boom on the screen? It is my intention one day to do a Red 6 type ship with a red canopy.

Thanks Nwerke, was going to ask which way the photos were supposed to go. Couldn't hurt to cite the source material if you know... in case we need to go back to find more... if any. Anyhow, which making of or bonus feature did those grabs come from?

I busted out the bonus disc :rolleyes (untouched STAR WARS) last night looking for Red 6.

TBH its hard to pull anything useful screen grabs out of that given its original encoded resolution. I feel for the guys crying for a better not SE OT... the official release isn't any good for reference material.

I can tell you there's two Red Leaders leaving with the Falcon at the end.:lol

Thanks to Too Much Garlic for letting us use this as a reference thread. I think later on we could add more pyros, but lets not forget the original mission: Red 6.

Wait... there are people who have hi-def versions of the original non-SE's... maybe they'd be able to share captures, if people know when and where.

The only HD versions available are those who captured it from their TV when it was on cable and I'm nearly certain its all SE.

The only non SE versions available were the bonus discs from the most recent dvd release, or the THX laserdiscs. Both are the same quality.

Though, some of the original miniatures are still in SE. They didn't replace them all, so its possible we could still get something from those files.

what to do, what to do...

I got 2 finemolds 1/48's Im working on and was going to do red 1 and 2 thats why I was wondering about 1- the pictures out there apear that it's a fairly clean bird-not alot of colorations on it like the other 3(2,3,5) There's tons of pics of 2 out there and enough of 3 to understand it's colors.

But then, doing Red 6 would be a nice change from the others. And There's the build diary for 4 out there that look pretty cool, but Im not sure how accurate that is.

I do like the idea of being about 60% accurate for Red 6.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back