WIP: LOTR Witch King w/ Flail

So, a few changes have been made.. the flail is almost completed, however I am still working on the chain. The robes are coming out pretty well, they aren't quite movie replica status as I am using cotton sheets, and my moms creativity took over vs. following the picture lol. but they will still act the part for the outfit this year, just a bit more raggy than I had hoped for.
anyway, heres the handle getting painted...
handlepainted.png

Full flail, I am 6ft tall, so this thing is pretty big...
flail.png

getting started on the helmet. It has some bondo on it now but not even fully coated yet.
helmet.png

And here is the chain so far...
chain-1.png

I am currently J B welding the tips of nails to each link, however I didn't get the quick stuff, so it is taking roughly 6 hours per 1 side of 3 links... and there are 10 links total. currently about half way done with those.

Did I see you at the inrwindale renn faire yesterday?
You most likely did, unless there was another one walking around I didn't know about.
I was there saturday and sunday :eek:
spent so much time on flail I had to throw together the rest of the costume last minute for this year's faire... hell, I didn't finish the helmet until saturday morning lol.

I have a few pictures, however I don't own the cameras they are on so I will be able to post them in due time.

Also, they almost didn't let me in on Sunday as they are "cracking down" apparently, they were complaining that my weapon was too blunt and the spikes were a danger, but as they were talking I popped the spikes off the chain (luckily the JB weld didn't hold too strongly) and they let me in...
Still debating on improving for next year or changing my costume as they may not let me in with the flail next time.

Last edited:
woah...woah ...GEEZ i am in love with this what a brilliant suit! i am sorry if i am making you repeat yourself but how many hours in total did it take to make the weaponry for this suit , i cant wait to show this thing to everyone ..amazing job! there are no words to describe how cool this is!

haha, thought so. You can check out my thread for what I looked like saturday :) Flail looked good and heavy. I made a helm.. I'll be finishing that costume soon too with a flail.

woah...woah ...GEEZ i am in love with this what a brilliant suit! i am sorry if i am making you repeat yourself but how many hours in total did it take to make the weaponry for this suit , i cant wait to show this thing to everyone ..amazing job! there are no words to describe how cool this is!
The flail took probably, 20-40 hours of work, not including drying times and such, it came out much sturdier than I had planned for, which is nice but at the same time can become a problem with the ren faire as they don't like weapons that can actually hurt people.

haha, thought so. You can check out my thread for what I looked like saturday Flail looked good and heavy. I made a helm.. I'll be finishing that costume soon too with a flail.
I wanted to make the gauntlets, armguards, shoulder plating, knee braces, greaves, and helmet out of styrene, however with time constraints I had to throw the helm together with leftover bondo and cardboard around the house... The robes were just some black sheets quickly shredded and sewn to the arms of a makeshift robe made from a sheet. definitely want to make a more replica stature robe to go with the armor if I continue to complete this outfit. I may remake the helm as well, since it was already taking damage and had to be repaired sunday morning with nail polish and super glue lol.

Last edited:
Wow i hope they let you take that weapon in .. it would be a damn sin if they did not allow it because you can crush small ..and big children ..and maybe a horse or five...

Soo... it is that time again, found out at the last minute the girlfriend wants to go again this year. Helmet broke last year, and is in an unknown location (have moved since then and have tons of stuff in storage), and the robes are nowhere to be seen as well.

flail needs some touch-up paint, between moving and stuff the tips on some of the spikes are getting pretty red... guess I should have used primer before painting...

So, I am going to have to remake the helm.. And the robes needed to be redone anyway as I had some annoying wardrobe issues with it not sitting on my shoulders properly, and having strips sewn down the arms intended to have half hanging down on each side of my arm, always ended up with all on 1 side. I wont be using bedsheets this time either lol.

ALSO I am making a more "feminine" but still witch-king looking crown that has distinguishable matching characteristics of the helm for the girlfriend to wear with her warlock-ish outfit. All while juggling my college classes... Should be an interesting 2 weeks.

And to ditch the black gloves, I am sort of taking an easy way out, but also doing it for comfort/maneuverability (flail and helm are bad enough).. I ordered some gloves that will need a bit of modification before they can be worn, but should be able to give me the final effect I am looking for.
14506.jpg

Hopefully my luck is as good as last year for getting in with the flail.. It is mainly cardboard and foam so not any more dangerous than a wooden staff, but it looks a heck of a lot more intimidating so they may flag me like they almost did the second day last year... Here's to hoping I can talk my way out of it emphasizing on the foam and cardboard should anything arise.

And hopefully I don't make any diehard prop/LotR fan's on here mad with my not-so-perfect remaking and improvising, + the crown that obviously didn't exist.

Last edited:
Those are some pretty sick gloves. Where'd you get them?

They are called Lion's Gauntlets, can probably find them at most places that sell costume stuff... I got mine off amazon.

also have made them match the costume a bit better... Thought about cutting off the excess designs but after blackening them, they don't bother me too much since the majority of it will be inside the cloak anyway.
Photo0659.jpg

and the crown for the girlfriend is now finished....
Photo0660.jpg

The robe is finished. Spent less on it this year, but a little more time on the outcome... It has the layered effect without the wardrobe hassle I had last year with the shoulders not being aligned properly and the strips along the arms falling all to 1 side or the other...
Did the whole thing in 3 seperate layers (not including gloves/hood), but the bottom of the main robe has a semi-4th layer attached on the inside waist line, where the previous robe was just 1 layer.
456745673.jpg

Laid out for anyone interesed(sorry for the blurry pic):
567856785.jpg

Also started touching up spots on the flail where the bondo was showing again due to storage scuffs/setting the flail on the ground at the fair, etc.
78967060.jpg

I kept putting the helm off because I didn't like the idea of having to remake it, but I managed to get much more detailed the second time around. I was a bit disappointed as the initial cardboard skeleton didn't look right, but after trimming the spike/band down a bit(made them rather large for some reason) and adding the detail on the sides and making the eye holes a bit bigger it started to look less like a cardboard costume piece, before even touching it with bondo. I got some work done on the helm, just needs spikes and paint now.
657867856.jpg

So, finished the helm. this weekend should be fun.
fyggh4i7hr.jpg

the full outfit (phone camera doesn't do it much justice)
65urtyurt.jpg

Maybe one day I can get around to a full suit of armor, maybe by then it can be out of metal as well. But for now, I am happy with my creation.

Last edited:
Awesome flail, good work. But.. Why just everyone forgets the sword of Witch King?

Damn, that was a very old post, just noticed...

Awesome flail, good work. But.. Why just everyone forgets the sword of Witch King?

Damn, that was a very old post, just noticed...

its ok, i come back to witch king build threads too.

You doing faire this year? I recently got to hand out with a REAL ring wraith :) thought you'd like this reference for the gauntlet.

1461032_10152097530894414_2003546958_n.jpg

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back