Daft Punk Interstella Helmet WIP

Thanks guys! I could probably get my arm twisted for a run but they would be kits only. I'm already behind schedule on some commissioned projects so I don't have time to build any more.

Rabid Irish: I haven't tried the dye but I do have an Alclad transparent green that I was going to spray on the inside of the visor. I'll experiment on a scrap first, of course, so if it doesn't work as expected, I'll try the dye.

Kommissar: The gap is showing because of the angle which I took the picture. When seen from the side, the top of the visor overlaps the trim. There isn't as much overlap as was shown in the film due to the limited space between trim and fin. But it works. (pic below)

VitaminZinc: I'll have to do that. I probably slush cast it a bit heavy but it's pretty comfortable.

Unfortunately, it's cold and windy here in sunny Arizona, so painting will have to wait until at least the wind dies down. I'll get the final wet sanding done and then post pics.

Love this DVD.

So emotional.

I also LOVE this character. Can't WAIT to see this painted up.

"It might not be... the right time. I might not be... the right one."

:)

Love this DVD.

So emotional.

I also LOVE this character. Can't WAIT to see this painted up.

"It might not be... the right time. I might not be... the right one."

:)

Cut it out, you're going to make me cry.
Oh geeze, time to go watch that part on youtube over and over for an hour :cry

I tried tinting the visor with some Alclad clear tinting paint and while it did look clear with objects right behind it, it's impossible to see through.

Per Rabid Irish's suggestion and guidance, I will be performing experiments this weekend using Rit dye to tint the visor. I will definitely post my findings and hopefully a nice green visor by Monday!

Last night I got to put on my Mad Scientist hat and ran some experiments on tinting PETG. Big thanks up front to Rabid Irish for the advice on this process!

Because of the size of the visor, I had to buy a 15 Qt pot so it could be completely immersed. I cut up some pieces of scrap PETG and bought some dark green RIT dye.

39.jpg

I got the water to 159ºF and dumped one pack of dye in the pot. I wasn't sure how much dye would be required to get the color right so I figured it was easier to add more than take it out. I dipped each scrap in the water, slowly increasing the amount of time and testing the color. Eventually I increased the dye to 3 packs and exposed the plastic for three five-minute sessions (dipping in cold water between to lock in the color).

40.jpg

The final visor is in front (predrilled for the trim), the one in back is a spare.

41.jpg

A quick test fit of the trim on the tinted visor. I'm beyond relieved that this actually worked! Visibility is really good too!

42.jpg

I'm almost finished painting the helmet so there should be some pics of that by week's end as well!

WOW! Thats an amazing process. Do you have to dye the sheet after forming? I'm imagining that dying, then heating to vacform it would disturb the color, right?

Thats a stunning piece you've got. Kudos as always.

you dye the viser after you have formed it. it is the same process for the odst or halo helmets.

you need to dip the viser in the dye a couple of times depending on how dark you want the tint. i melted some visers leaving them in too long.

awesome work, looks great.

Told ya it would work! :love Glad to see how well it turned out for you as well. I find the visibility to be pretty good with this method as well. you don't get those blurry waves and fish eyes like the spray tint or brush on style colored clear coats.

thanks for posting the process as well. This is a great method and it has yet to be documented very well. eventually I will do a nice write up on it, but even with your outline it can help others.

Keep up the good work!

Thanks a lot for posting those pics! I've read about this technique but never seen any photos besides the final products.

Is this technique only appropriate for semi translucent projects? I've seen some Halo helmets in the past that looks like they tried to go for complete darkness from the viewers perspective, but you could still sorta see the wearer's face. That and the visors looked brown, not black, but for all I know that was intentional.

I don't know how dark you can eventually go. Of the three 5-minute baths that I gave my visors, there was about a 20-30% increase in the color each time. The amount of dye you use definitely makes a difference as well.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back