Daft Punk Interstella Helmet WIP

WOW! That looks fantastic! Can't wait to see it all finished.

Also, can I borrow your talent for like a weekend? I have a few projects that could use this level of skill and detail! :p

Keep up the great work.

-Nick

I got the visor and half of the frame roughed in. I'm going to have to pull a waste mold of the visor because there's no way I can get it smooth enough for the vacuum forming master. Sculpting is hard!

24.jpg

25.jpg

26.jpg

I ended up scrapping the trim I was sculpting after some wise counsel from Volpin. I made a cast of the base visor and prepared it for vacuum forming. I bought some .06 clear PETG and prepared to vacuum form the visor. I turned on the oven and.....nothing. dead.

33.jpg

So I took my visor buck to the place where I buy my plastic and let the experts do their magic. A few days layer, I had two test visors in clear .125 (!) PETG and one in black plastic for sculpting the trim.

32.jpg

After trimming the visor and locating the pivot point, I have a working test visor that smoothly moves up and down.

28.jpg

29.jpg

With that part figured out, I started sculpting the trim on the black plastic visor copy. Once this is done, I'll make a mold and slush cast the final trim.

31.jpg

So close but yet so far...:cry

During the process of cleaning up the casting of the trim, I couldn't wait any longer and had to do a quick test fit.

Fortunately, everything fits and the visor moves up and down easily. Whew!

34.jpg

35.jpg

A quick update on this project as I pass a major hurdle: getting the visor to move properly and STAY UP!

I attached the lens to the trim with four screws instead of gluing. I've been concerned with glue getting on the lens and I just didn't want to deal with it. I also embedded two rare earth magnets at the top of the frame. They match up with the other two magnets at the top of the crest.

36.jpg

The magnets securely hold the the weight of the visor but since they move parallel to each other, they slide apart with little effort.

37.jpg

The visor down, stopped by the slots in the ear pieces.

38.jpg

I've started the final sanding so that, weather permitting, I'll be painting this week! Woo hoo!

Beautiful craftsmanship thus far! Can't wait to see paint.

Just out of curiosity, what is your client's final plan for the helmet?
Costume? Display?

Beautiful craftsmanship thus far! Can't wait to see paint.

Just out of curiosity, what is your client's final plan for the helmet?
Costume? Display?

He's wearing it for cosplay. I think he's part of a group...

His girlfriend is buying it for him. Now THAT'S a keeper!

Not sure if it has been discussed or not, but what were your intentions for the transparent green visor? Have you considered RIT dye? I have been experimenting around with it a bit, and had pretty good results with permanently tinting petg.

this is amazing, my only point of concern is when the visor is down, it looks like there is a slight gap between helmet and visor at the top along the side.

the hinge so really well hidden O_O

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back