MR Millenium Falcon - Studio Scale?

enaswede

Sr Member
Gone but not forgotten.
So does anyone know the true scale of the "Master Replica - Millenium Falcon". All I can find is "Studio Scale"... What does that mean?

I think the "real world" scale is around 1/32....but dont take my word as gospel with real world tech, i find all that rather sad, as "studio scale" has no true "scale" its a term given to a filming miniature.
Such tools, were built in the specific sizes of whatever shot the guy with the camera needed.
The 32" bird, though im no Falcon guru, was built for TESB, as they needed a prop that could be more manipulative.

lee

There is a serious discussion regarding the "real life" sizes of studio miniatures for ages. Some ships are relatively easy to determine (like the X- and Y-Wing), others rather difficult.

The Falcon is impossible to define, because interior and exterior do not fit into each other (origins from the original pirate ship design which later became the Corellian Corvette aka Rebel Blockade Runner aka Tantive IV).

As far as the exterior is concerned - I guess this is what is of interest in a model forum - the center and pivotal point of canon is the one and only true Falcon, the so-called 5-footer, built for the original "Star Wars" (and modified for the rest of the original series). It is believed it had been made with a scale of around 1/24 in mind. Since the so-called 32" Falcon (built for TESB) is about half the size of the original model, it would hence be

1/48 scale.

There was an interesting argument in the General Modeling Forum lately, see here.

Cheers!
Falk

Studio Scale is simply the same size as the one built for filming. As others have mentioned there is not defined "scale" as studio scale. and in fact since there were several models built of the same subject studio scale can be several sizes. for examples there are at least 4 models of the Falcon - all are considered studio scale.

if you want to know what scale the model "actually" is the best way I have found is to virtually place a human sized figure in the cockpit and base it off of a 6 foot human male. When doing that the 32" falcon (MR) is "about" 1/35 - 1/32 depending on your measurements, and guesstimates.

Jedi Dade

Somebody said that the MPC MF was used in TESB while it was docked to the Medical Frigate. If so, that makes the MPC model, studio scale.

TazMan2000

I think the "real world" scale is around 1/32....but dont take my word as gospel with real world tech, i find all that rather sad, as "studio scale" has no true "scale" its a term given to a filming miniature.
Such tools, were built in the specific sizes of whatever shot the guy with the camera needed.
The 32" bird, though im no Falcon guru, was built for TESB, as they needed a prop that could be more manipulative.

lee

Thanks! :cool

Studio Scale is simply the same size as the one built for filming. As others have mentioned there is not defined "scale" as studio scale. and in fact since there were several models built of the same subject studio scale can be several sizes. for examples there are at least 4 models of the Falcon - all are considered studio scale.

if you want to know what scale the model "actually" is the best way I have found is to virtually place a human sized figure in the cockpit and base it off of a 6 foot human male. When doing that the 32" falcon (MR) is "about" 1/35 - 1/32 depending on your measurements, and guesstimates.

Jedi Dade

Thanks! :cool

There is a serious discussion regarding the "real life" sizes of studio miniatures for ages. Some ships are relatively easy to determine (like the X- and Y-Wing), others rather difficult.

The Falcon is impossible to define, because interior and exterior do not fit into each other (origins from the original pirate ship design which later became the Corellian Corvette aka Rebel Blockade Runner aka Tantive IV).

As far as the exterior is concerned - I guess this is what is of interest in a model forum - the center and pivotal point of canon is the one and only true Falcon, the so-called 5-footer, built for the original "Star Wars" (and modified for the rest of the original series). It is believed it had been made with a scale of around 1/24 in mind. Since the so-called 32" Falcon (built for TESB) is about half the size of the original model, it would hence be

1/48 scale.

There was an interesting argument in the General Modeling Forum lately, see here.

Cheers!
Falk

Thanks!

Somebody said that the MPC MF was used in TESB while it was docked to the Medical Frigate. If so, that makes the MPC model, studio scale.

TazMan2000

No it was not. They made a model "about" 10-12 inched for the long shots of it slung under the Frigate and used the 32" for closeups.

They used an MPC one for the anamatics in RoTJ IIRC but the mpc falcon never made it to the screen to my knowledge.

Jedi Dade

Jedi Dade

Which cockpit, though? The set? That was a ten-foot ID tube. So...I second Falk at 1/48.

It might be closer to 1/35 or 1/32 versus the *mockup*, which was well under full size.

If you place figures into the cockpit the figures that look correct are about 1/32-1/35. 1/48 are just way too small and look well - wrong next to it.

That's what I meant about placing a "virtual" 6 foot human male in the cockpit to judge scale... and since we're speaking of the MR falcon that's the cockpit I'm dealing with... your mileage may vary...

But I respect both your opinions - so I'll just shut up now :lol

Jedi Dade

If you place figures into the cockpit the figures that look correct are about 1/32-1/35. 1/48 are just way too small and look well - wrong next to it.
Jedi Dade

That is due to the oversized seats and the way the instrument panal is simplified on the 32" ILM and MR models. When looking at the overall inner dimensions of the cockpit, for me 1/48 figures look right.

But at the end, as there is no real falcon, it just comes down to what you think the reference is. That could be drawing scetches, the 5 footer the full size falcon, the fullsize cockpit etc. My reference is the first real build, which is the 5 footer. There are many ILM-statements indicating that it is supposed to be 1/24 scale. And as stated before the 32" falcon was build to be half that size.

Michael

Dade, I'm with hugescale:

Cockpitfigure

To me those 1/35 and 1/32 figures look like they would be kind of cramped IRL. Lots of space for the 1/48 fig sure, but then again this is a freighter not a snub fighter. As you say though, YMMV. :)

Apologies for the crappy figures, and stealing the builder's group Falcon blueprint, and using an arbitrary floor level, and, um, probably a few other sins to boot...

Last edited:
According to Robert Browns old site, the Falcon would be around 35 meter long. Having that in mind the 32 falcon ( about 83 cm) would be 1/42 scale which more or less seems to be a scale which fits better a human according to the drawing visualized above. I personal believe that 35 meters is the correct scale for a full size ship.

Hmmm, let's see...

Can opener? Check.

Half-empty can? Check.

Worms working their way out of the open can? Check.

Question relating the real size of the MF? Check and double-check?

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back