True Grit Trailer

i didnt think much for this movie when i heard it was happening, but i will be there opening night come hell or high water that looks too incredible to miss out on.

Can't tell a lot from the trailer. We'll see. Some movies shouldn't be remade

i disagree with this. im not a fan of john wayne, and its been really difficult for me to sit through his movies. after seeing the trailer, i think this take on it would be done very well and would be a great adaptation to the original. watching this, would make me want to see the original.

Meh. This is supposed to stick closely to the source novel, focusing more on a point of view of the girl. I'm not a big fan of the novel and believe that the John Wayne movie is superior to the novel. I may check this out once it finds its way to DVD, but I won't go to the theater for this.

Wow. I grew up watching the original, my Dad is a huge fan of The Duke and by extension I guess, so am I. You cannot replace the original. That being said, I was ready to dismiss this until I watched the trailer and I have to say I'm at least interested.

Westerns aren't a big draw these days so it's a pretty big risk and I'm impressed with most of the casting choices. Not sure if I'll see it in the theater but I'll definitely see it once it hits the On Demand circuit.

EDIT - Funny how someone has already dubbed it "No Country for 14 Year-Old Girls" :)

I'm in.

I'm a huge John Wayne fan, and his performance in the original is quite good, he's really playing the character, but there's a lot of bad stuff in the original. Neither Glen Campbell nor Kim Darby could act worth spit, and she was too old for the character. This kid looks right. Matt Damon certainly will deliver a better performance than Campbell (I can't blame the guy, he's a singer), and Bridges is plain great. Josh Brolin is no slouch either.

The original film is fairly loyal to the book, but only up to a cerrtain point. Where the film ends, the book goes on with more, so perhaps the Coens have added the rest.

If you've never read it, give Charles Portis's novel a shot before the film opens.

Last edited:
As much as I like Jeff Bridges, this is True Grit we're talking about. Rooster Cogburn will always be The Duke.

However it does look interesting to a point although my biggest gripe is Matt Damon playing La Boeuf. I'm not a fan of Damon in any of his work. There are so many other crappy movies with good plots that just need to be remade by someone that knows what they're doing. True Grit wouldn't be one of them. This is Hollywood thinking they're playing it safe.

I'll watch it, of course, because I love westerns and hope it is good as it looks like it could be.

This is a new adaptation of the original 1968 book, not a remake of the John Wayne playing John Wayne as John Wayne version from 1969.

The Coens are batting nearly 1.000 on their gritty thrillers: Blood Simple, Miller's Crossing, Fargo, No Country for Old Men.

I think this is going to be another great from them. Hopefully, it does some major damage come awards season so we can get some damn Westerns made.

This is a new adaptation of the original 1968 book, not a remake of the John Wayne playing John Wayne as John Wayne version from 1969.

The Coens are batting nearly 1.000 on their gritty thrillers: Blood Simple, Miller's Crossing, Fargo, No Country for Old Men.

I think this is going to be another great from them. Hopefully, it does some major damage come awards season so we can get some damn Westerns made.

It's already been reported that the Coen's are remaking the Wayne film while trying to get closer to the book's story. However from people who have read the script it's obvious from the start it's a straight up remake. The Coen's method was to change the stuff that was wrong and make it better but to leave the stuff that worked. More or less get rid of slow parts to pick up the speed, to move the story along. That and their trademark gritty style which at the time of the original movie wouldn't have been allowed.

For more info check below. Might contain spoilers to some. But isn't a tell all movie spoiler.

Script Reaction: The Coens' True Grit Remake

Aside from that, I've loved all of the Coen Brothers movie. All very gritty and surreal for lack of a better word. It will probably be a great movie since all their others have turned out that way. The original was a great movie too.

The Coen brothers are one of the few sources of originality in mainstream film, so let them "remake" whatever they like, it WILL be a different animal. You can like the result or leave it, but it won't be the sort of pathetic limp-minded "remake" that we normally (and justifiably) complain about.

Just watched this movie for the first time tonight since seeing it in the theater and while I thought it was ok on the first viewing, I have to say... on seeing it again, I think it is nothing less than amazing. What an incredible and well made remake.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back