Original style Scream masks @ Party City

GeneralFROSTY

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Original 'Fun World' Scream masks can go for a few hundred dollars since the original mold was supposedly replaced with a smaller, less accurate design for the commercially available masks and are made of a hard foam material.
I just visited my local Party City and saw they had Scream masks that looked to be from the original mold design.
For only $9.99 I picked it up since I have an original Fun World mask to compare it to.
One thing that was different is the attached hood. The original FW mask had a thick cotton stretch fabric. These new masks have a thin, synthetic stretch fabric that is much more 'cheap' feeling and looking, but really, the mask itself is the main attraction.
The mask I bought at Party City has 'Easter Unlimited' stamped on the back of the chin, the color is a crisp white with glossy black details.
As soon as I got home I compared it side by side with my original FW mask. There is no mistaking they ARE from the same mold! Absolutely identical, except for the copyright stamp and the color. The new mask is a much brighter white.
I also stopped by my local Halloween Adventure store. All they had were the cheap and horribly innacurate foam Scream masks - which suspiciously enough had the same tag attached.
I just wanted to give a heads up to anyone who has been searching for an accurate Scream mask, check your local Party City. There is an ebay seller offering this same mask for nearly $40.

I'm not sure what the specifics are but I thought I had read somewhere that Easter Unlimited is the same company as Fun World or that they were bought out.
The past few years as far as I can tell, the original mask was not commercially available - only the cheap and innacurate version. For some reason, the original mold is back on the market and I'm pretty happy about that.
I had read somewhere that the mask being used in Scream 4 is NOT the original mold mask but a custom sculpt the prop department made in order to keep the actual movie mask as unique as possible. Not sure if this is true or not.

I recently purchased a scream mask at a garage sale and I was wondering if any of you could tell me about it. I listed it on Craigslist with some other Halloween items and some people seem overly interested in it. Any reason why?
The mask is kind of a flexible, molded plastic with black "screen" fabric behind the eyes. The hood is a thicker cotton (not like the thin, nylon ones you see now) and covers the whole head. The words "FUN WORLD DIV." is stamped behind the chin.
I'd appreciate any help and thanks so much.
0166-1.jpg

Hello, do u still have it,if you do will you sell it to me, i collect all kind of scream masks, and the reason people want this is the shape of the mask is little different and material is harder,thats it. Email me if you still have it, with your price to silenthillstars@yahoo.com. Thanks

They want your mask because the Funworld stamped masks are rarer and they are what was used in Scream 1 and 2. Yours looks like a Fantastic faces mask which is the most sought after. Scream 1 was Fantastic faces and Scream 2 was Fearsome faces. Yours is very valuable. KEEP IT

Original 'Fun World' Scream masks can go for a few hundred dollars since the original mold was supposedly replaced with a smaller, less accurate design for the commercially available masks and are made of a hard foam material.
I just visited my local Party City and saw they had Scream masks that looked to be from the original mold design.
For only $9.99 I picked it up since I have an original Fun World mask to compare it to.
One thing that was different is the attached hood. The original FW mask had a thick cotton stretch fabric. These new masks have a thin, synthetic stretch fabric that is much more 'cheap' feeling and looking, but really, the mask itself is the main attraction.
The mask I bought at Party City has 'Easter Unlimited' stamped on the back of the chin, the color is a crisp white with glossy black details.
As soon as I got home I compared it side by side with my original FW mask. There is no mistaking they ARE from the same mold! Absolutely identical, except for the copyright stamp and the color. The new mask is a much brighter white.
I also stopped by my local Halloween Adventure store. All they had were the cheap and horribly innacurate foam Scream masks - which suspiciously enough had the same tag attached.
I just wanted to give a heads up to anyone who has been searching for an accurate Scream mask, check your local Party City. There is an ebay seller offering this same mask for nearly $40.

Anything stamped "EASTER UNLIMITED MADE IN CHINA" is pretty much worthless because that's such a common mold design. Fun World/Easter Unlimited - the same company - has been rehashing that same sculpture for at least a decade now. None of the current offerings found in Party City, Halloween Express, Wal-Mart, etc. are anything like the original Fun World/Easter Unlimited sculpture, though. It *IS* the same overall size, but the older masks were stamped "FUN WORLD DIV" under their chin, their mouths possessed a circular indention near the bottom of the opening, the nose hole was wonkier, and the eyes were not nearly as symmetrical. In addition, most of those older masks were hand-trimmed, which is most obvious on the curvature of the inner eyes. Newer masks have perfectly straight cut lines around the eye holes...Older masks are jagged and inconsistent.

Some Scream fans have recently been paying astronomical prices for the "FUN WORLD DIV" stamp versions due to their screen-accuracy to the first film and the fact that they're slightly more difficult to locate (although not impossible). I have a friend who has resold two of them for $250+ each. Versions with a cotton hood have sold for even greater amounts. (Yeah... :confused)

Here are a few photos of my FUN WORLD DIV-stamped, pre-Scream mask from Fun World's older production line of "Fearsome Faces" Halloween masks for reference. If you own one of these, hang onto it:

P1330142.jpg

P1330131.jpg

P1330144.jpg

P1330138.jpg

P1330140.jpg

Here's a comparison shot of the pre-Scream mask next to a much newer version:

P1330151.jpg

Cheers,

Ryan

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back