Farscape Pulse Pistol ID.

Mercury

Sr Member
I didn't want to hijack JordTron5000's thread so I made this one.

5-6 years ago I picked up a Pulse Pistol kit from ebay. I don't remember who I bought it from other than it was supposedly a woman. The piece was very clean, crisp and straight. It had a hollow top rear section for 3 LEDs to be mounted in facing the rear and on the front lower section where it should be flat the ribs continued around onto the front. The other unusual detail is where on most pulse pistols the tiny bumps/screws/rivits type things on the grip are protruding, on this they are recessed. I didn't add the LEDs and removed the front ribs so it would look like others I have seen.

I'd like to know if anyone has seen this before, who made it, and how accurate it is. On the surface it appears to be fairly accurate, but I'd like a second, third, fourth opinion. Also if someone could provide deminsions of a known accurate version, It'd be a big help.

FS.jpg

Did it have red acrylic pieces for the lights cast into the back of the pistol? If not it's likely a recast of a piece created by Rob from Scifimodels (no longer made nor around). As I recall, most (all) of his castings of the Farscape PP were in blue resin.

No, just small depressions about the size of LEDs. The oblong slot on the top right rear has a depression there as well for a LED. This sucks that it's a recast. Now I'll have to obtain another piece.

IIRC, there are supposed to be 4 LED's on the rear of the pistol, housed in a tinted plastic screen that sits flush with the surface of the pistol. There's so much inconsistency with the pulse pistol props seen on the show that its hard to tell. Sometimes, a red LED is seen from the right side of the pistol. As for the "screw" areas, I think that they are supposed to be protruding slightly. Reference images can be found here.

-Jord

This one definitely only had 3 and looking at it I'm remembering they weren't depressions but small holes that I filled in.

Last edited:
IIRC, there are supposed to be 4 LED's on the rear of the pistol, housed in a tinted plastic screen that sits flush with the surface of the pistol. There's so much inconsistency with the pulse pistol props seen on the show that its hard to tell. Sometimes, a red LED is seen from the right side of the pistol. As for the "screw" areas, I think that they are supposed to be protruding slightly. Reference images can be found here.

-Jord

Looking at those images (great ones by the way) I see a whole lot of inaccuracies between the real props on other areas of the gun as well.

No, just small depressions about the size of LEDs. The oblong slot on the top right rear has a depression there as well for a LED. This sucks that it's a recast. Now I'll have to obtain another piece.

I'm not 100% and would hate for you to have to get another piece off just my word. But, unless someone else has any thoughts on it, it definitely sounds like a copy of one of Rob's props.

Again, I could be wrong... :confused

If I recall, Rob's had the proper 4 holes in the back ,and I think his had the proper front end on it, instead of having the ribs going around the front that this one originally had. I also think Rob's had the right kind of "rivets" (screws, what ever, that stick out on the grips, and other places.) (I had some pics around here somewhere of the Rob/scifimodels version, but I just can't find them. :( )

A few years ago, there was a seller on ebay, selling finished Pulse pistols, for around $100. that had lights on the back end (I don't recall how many), and a yellow LED in the barrel whole. They sold them for at least a few months on there, and they had many of the same features that this kit originally had. (including the inaccurate ribs that went around the front.) I was very tempted to buy one, but I couldn't get past the ribs on the front.

I don't know the name of that seller either, but I do think that those may have been made from the same kit, if not by the same dealer.

I can say that I really don't think that it is a recast. There are a LOT of recasts out there of the originals, of the Creations version, of other builders versions, and of other recasts. (yep, recasts, of recasts) But other then a few small differences in the details, the size, and the placement of the rivets, and things like that, they are all very, similar, this version is/was very different, with it's reassessed screws, ribbed front, and inaccurate 3 holes in the back, instead of 4, among other small details. If this is a recasting of anything, it would have to be a very heavily modified one.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back