Farscape PK Pulse Pistol

JordTron5000

Farscape_Pulse_Pistol_by_DoctorWhoNC.jpg

Hey all,

New blood here on the forums. I've recently purchased a WILCO Models replica pulse pistol and it is pretty sweet! I know there's a thread about this already here, but I wasn't sure if there were any rules regarding thread necromancy. Anyways, on to my question:

I want to make a faux "laser sight" on the side functional with a red LED or laser with a switch that I can turn on/off. I've thought about sticking a mini LED flashlight inside, but sadly those just have a pressure switch that toggles it on/off. Furthermore, I am not sure how one would safely remove said laser sight (I'm guessing some handy dremel work?) Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

-Jord

Always good to see more Farscape here. :thumbsup

Careful dremel work is required but it can be done. An LED would be easier (and screen accurate) but if you want to do the laser diode I'd suggest getting one from ebay instead of trying to crack open a laser pointer.

That picture looks familiar, because it is mine taken on my computer desk!
Did you link it from my Deviant Art page?
Don't worry, I don't mind.
I am glad you are working on a pulse pistol. Wilco's will turn out so good as you can attest from the above picture of my pistol.

I thought about the laser sight too at one time. I couldn't figure out exactly how to get it to work the way I wanted it to. I will keep an eye out here to see what solution you come up with.

That picture looks familiar, because it is mine taken on my computer desk!
Did you link it from my Deviant Art page?
Don't worry, I don't mind.
Sorry! I should have prefaced that the picture shown was not actually mine. I just wanted to use it for reference so readers would understand where the sighting rig was located on the prop! Thanks for letting me mooch off of your DA account.

Anywho, I've done some digging on the net and found two very viable solutions. I did a search for LED micro flashlights and got a lot of useless results, so I had to narrow it down to ones with rear switches of the keychain variety as they seem to have the proper dimensions. I have found two that I'm considering at this point:

They both boast an incredible battery life, high luminosity and a rear switch so I can toggle it on/off easily. I am leaning towards the second option as it seems to be the appropriate length to match the prop (approx. 2.5 inches) but the site offers no mention of the diameter of the flashlight.

The only problem that I find myself in now is how to integrate either one into the laser sight without destroying the sight on the prop itself. It might be easier to just cut off the sight and replicate its look by making my own casing with spare parts around the light itself rather than drilling a hole for it. Any thoughts...?

-Jord

A pressure switch can be easily replaced with a more traditional on/off switch. Do you have a soldering iron?

Sadly, I do not own a soldering iron. I'm thinking of ordering one of those lights and sticking it inside a brass or plastic tube of sorts, matching it to look like the pistol as best as I can then re-attaching it to the side of the pistol.

-Jord

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back