Original 1966 Ultraman Science Patrol/SSSP uniform

emeraldnite

Hey guys. I was just wondering if anyone had ever made a costume based on the Science Patrol uniforms from the original Ultraman series. I actually have a super gun, comm-pin, and beta capsule, and thought I'd just complete the ensemble, but wanted to get some info/inspiration if anyone has any to share.

Very cool, rather reminiscent of the Unicorn uniforms from Johnny Sokko/Giant Robo. The problem that you're likely to run into, one that I did researching the Unicorn costumes, is that references pics are hard to come by online and what you can find ten to be pretty small in size.

The base costume looks relatively simple to make, it would be mostly a matter of finding the right type of fabric in the right color. Chances are, since it's from 60s or 70s the fabric is some kind of polyester and you can either sew a dress shirt directly to the jacket or make a fake shirt from the same or similar material as the jacket.

The helmet looks like an old vinatage motorcycle helmet with a visor and greeblies on the ears. The helmet you can find online although pretty much all of the helmets of that style that I've seen all have snaps along the top brim for attaching a snap on visor. If you can't find a helmet without the snaps then you'll have to just get a helmet with the snaps, remove them, fill in the holes from where the snaps were and repaint it. That is unless you plan on making your own helmet from scratch but I think that buying a motorcycle helmet would be easier.

The visor might be a problem depending on what it looks like. I know that the visors on the Unicorn helmets are impossible to find now a days so the Science Patrol helmet visors might be impossible too, hard to say without a better look. But you may be able to find an existing visor that either matches or is close since it doesn't look too bubbled which is not that uncommon now a days.

Have you seen the one being sold on eBay? I bought one and will let you know how it turns out. I'm still looking for a super gun and communicator pin.

R2D2 Guy made one years ago IIRC

I have 2 pins that I bought on this forum years ago, but have no idea who i got them from.
pins002.jpg

I too am in the process of making an original Science Patrol uniform. I have the suit, helmet and super gun but am in search of a communicator pin and beta capsule. Any suggestions? As for some tips, I picked up a AFX FX-42A Open Face Helmet - Pilot Solid Pearl White that is almost perfect.

R2D2 Guy made one years ago IIRC

I have 2 pins that I bought on this forum years ago, but have no idea who i got them from.
pins002.jpg

Those look great! Can you post pics of the back of them? Would you be willing to sell one? I'm still waiting on my outfit to come in. Still having trouble finding a supergun. I know they were made in 2006 for the 40th anniversary, but can't find one to buy.:cry

That's cool that there are still some left
Mine are plain on the back without antennae.
I'd like to mod mine to have one, just haven't gotten to it

Sorry for the delay, still working on the outfits. The one I got needs some corrections to it so I'm having a friend help me redo the whole outfit.:) I did get the communication pins, but still looking for a SuperGun. I haven't made molds before, so I'm not sure if I could make the gun myself. :confused I was planning on giving a go at making the ear greeblies for the helmet. Oh, I am starting another prodject to go with the outfits.:love

1963ChevyCorvair001-6.jpg

That is a 1963 Chevy Corvair. The one used in the Original 1966 Ultraman series was either a 1961 or 1962. I was told it was a 1963, that's why bought this one. When I bought this one I found out that there was a Corvair Club here in the Carolinas, so I've talked to some of the members and they belive the one in the show was a 61' or 62'. But the difference between the years are really slight and can be changed to look like the one in the show.:)

I'm skipping the SSSP and going straight to Ultraseven
For continuity, I'd love to see the shows given the Lucas treatment and have the SSSP be the default back up team, for all the Ultras(cept for Tiga, and Dyna who actually are from a different universe).
That'd cement the Ultras into one universe.

For continuity, I'd love to see the shows given the Lucas treatment and have the SSSP be the default back up team, for all the Ultras(cept for Tiga, and Dyna who actually are from a different universe).
That'd cement the Ultras into one universe.

I've always been under the impression that they were all in the same universe, but different incarnations of each other. Like from Ultraman to Ultraseven the squad goes from the "Science Special Search Party" to the "Terrestrial Defense Force"/"Ultra Guard." I always assumed that some years had passed and funding, people, or politics had shifted leaving the SSSP out to dry. Thus, when the next Ultra-being from the Land of Light appeared the governments of Earth are forced to recreate the group of people to handle the giant aliens.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back