What If?: Sky Captain vs The Flying Saucers

GeneralFROSTY

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Count me as one of the few that really loved Sky Captain and the World Of Tomorrow.
I thought there was some real chemistry between our lead characters and of course the stylistic look of the film was really unique and fun.
Considering that if the movie had performed better theatrically, the character of Sky Captain could work over and over again in continuing adventures.
One idea I had for a sequel would be titled "Sky Captain v.s The Flying Saucers" - all of my fellow classic Sci-Fi fans can figure out what the premise of that movie would be!
Since Sky Captain already went up against giant robots, I thought that classic flying saucers (like in 'Earth vs The Flying Saucers') would be a logical next step. I can see the dogfight in my head as I write!
What are your thoughts on possible story ideas for a theoretical sequel? Haters need not reply....

I'd watch it. Sky Captain did well on dvd i know that but people just aren't into retro on a large scale, its a niche thing sadly.

i saw it for the second time a few months back. i really liked it. the only thing i could say that it suffered from(other than it seemed like it was "ok in this scene sky captain flies under water" "in this scene, he visits his possibly old flame who is incharge of a fleet off flying battleships" etc) was it needed more to it. there needs to be a sequel, so you can watch these interesting characters interact with each other more. the characters and story was so awesome, that it just needs to keep going.

id even settle for comic books.

Well because everyone has me set to "ignore" no one will ever see this, but I would much rather see a new "Pipy Long Stockings" film.

Maybe have her fight some flying saucers (played by Angelina Golie).

I'd watch it as well. You could even tie it in with Iron Sky pretty easily if you wanted to go that route.

In fact, I should go and watch Sky Captain again soon, not having seen it in a while.

count me in as another sky captain fan. however, i'm not sure i would be jazzed about a sequel. not to say it couldn't possibly be amazing, but some things are better left as a one-off.

what are the creative minds behind sky captain up to these days?

I too would like to know what the creators of Sky Captain are doing lately. I remember reading an interview with them back when the movie was coming out that they were interested in turning SC into a franchise and doing more stories - not sure if that will ever happen, but if they do, I really think our hero going up against classic sci-fi UFOs would be the way to go - or maybe giant monsters.

I enjoyed the movie as well!

I also remember seeing the Sky Captain's screen-used leather jacket in Rebelscum's collection at one of his prop parties. It was very cool!:cool:thumbsup

I would acctually like to see a prequel... that whole Nanjing thing could be really interesting to watch, and plus, you would have the whole main cast involved, not just cap... just saying...

I wouldn't mind a sequel as I liked the first one. Oddly enough I've seen folks who don't like scifi like that movie.

Can any of you articulate what you found enjoyable about it? I felt like the concept was so appealing but I just didn't care for the execution. I'd really LIKE to like it if anyone can be bothered to convince me though.

Can any of you articulate what you found enjoyable about it? I felt like the concept was so appealing but I just didn't care for the execution. I'd really LIKE to like it if anyone can be bothered to convince me though.

Think of it not as a serial, but a movie version of a 30s, or 40s sf super-science comic strip. I thought the movie was good, except for Gwyneth Paltrow's character. But the problem there is that the character was written wrong. Polly Perkins should have been like Katharine Hepburn, or Barbara Stanwyck. As it was, her character was written as being extremely untrustworthy.

David.

I enjoyed it at the theatre. And ever since I have bought the DVD, I enjoy it even more every time I watch it.

And Krel is right about thinking of it as a comic strip inspired film of the era. Especially considering actual comic strips that had been made into movies, such as Prince Valiant.

I would be interested in a sequel.
Maybe have the Sky Captain go against the nazi's version of him.
The flying saucer idea might work with a Ming type of intergalactic dictator.

Wolf

I'd watch it. Sky Captain did well on dvd i know that but people just aren't into retro on a large scale, its a niche thing sadly.

It´s always about the storytelling. Good storytelling: success, bad storytelling: fail.

Sky Captain: Great visuals (although sometimes a bit sloppy), but other than that an unfortunately empty husk.

I´d like to see a sequel, though and would buy a ticket and the BD. And the toys. And make props (I just remembered that I have the camera somewhere :lol )

Sorry for being a "hater", but I have to agree that the story fell flat with Sky Captain. And I really "wanted" to like this movie. At the time I was geared up for the retro look.

It reminded me of when Dick Tracy (with Warren Beatty) came out. Amazing visuals, great cast, did their best to be as close to the comic as possible...

And it was like being presented an amazing looking birthday cake, that turns out to be made of cardboard.

Kevin

Sorry for being a "hater"...

Now watch it with calling people "haters" !!! Oh, wait... :p

I´d love to see more retro stuff! I do know that since historical movies cost a lot, and Sky Captain has bombed, with a lot of other feature films with great visuals not doing so well, too, producers are hesitant to go that route.

The next best thing might be "Hugo Cabret", though. Damn shame that I did not finish my story about a boy who finds an ancient mechanical man and repairs it to help him find his father ...

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back