A&E's Horatio Hornblower, John Mollo Napoleonic Costume replicas

Amadscientist

OK, this is my first thread about one of my projects. This was just a couple of years ago for myself and a friend. I decided I wanted to make this costume in multiples as good practice for the tailoring.

I never completed the entire outfit properly.....I made zippered slacks to make it easier to get in and out of....but am interested in finding a good pattern or I'll have to draft it myself and I could always do that.....but I would be guessing for much of it without better images.

I was lucky and happened onto a remnant table with a lot of navy blue wool that was perfect and priced to get rid of in late spring.

Then...after hunting all over town for every Wal Mart brass anchor button I could find in the two sizes I needed....I googled the company name, called them and they sold me a ton at cost. Very cool.
2477-horatio-hornblower-replica-costume-british-naval-first-lieutenant-frock.jpg

2479-frock-detail.jpg

2182-bicorn.jpg

Awesome job there.

I used to work at George Washington's Mt. Vernon estate so I have fond memories of similar clothes.

Did you do the hat?

Awesome job there.

I used to work at George Washington's Mt. Vernon estate so I have fond memories of similar clothes.

Did you do the hat?
Yes....they local merchant out here wanted something like $175 for an undecorated Napoleonic Bicorn.....so I experiamented untill I came up with this. It could use a bit of a trim arounf the brim. May be slightly to wide.

This outfit uses a lot of peices. Shirt, cravat, vest etc. Need to get some pics together.

Wow! Great job on the hat.

The last ****** hat I had custom made was from a guy in Philadelphia who did Bill Sommersfield's hat, he WAS George Washington and he did'nt do that many Bill asked him to do one for me as a personal favor.

I paid $225.00 for it but man was it nice and huge too. :lol

Always got compliments from the visitors on it.

Most excellent looking coat. I have been an 19th century reenactor for years and dabled in making clothes as well. Nothing of mine turned out as fine as that coat.

I do wish they had made more of that series as I particularly liked the first six episodes.

Good luck on the trousers.

Cheers

Sebastian

I hope they make more eventualy.

I should mention the button manufacturer has been around a long time. They made the buttons for White Star Lines and the Titanic Uniforms. I couldn't believe the history of the company itself. They were very nice and it really made the outfit. Couldn't do it without all the buttons. However....oddly enough....I can't find these now. I wonder if they discontinued them?

Waterbury Button Company

AWESOME job! My father and I are planning to do the same era costumes as well, he as a Captain and I as a leftenant. My uncle even ordered us an entire bolt of the correct fabric for the pants and jackets and a bolt for the shirts! It came from the same fabric maker that's still around in Europe that the royal navy used! We have replica buttons and belt fittings as well! We're just looking for the right seamstress that can do it correctly

- Jeff

AWESOME job! My father and I are planning to do the same era costumes as well, he as a Captain and I as a leftenant. My uncle even ordered us an entire bolt of the correct fabric for the pants and jackets and a bolt for the shirts! It came from the same fabric maker that's still around in Europe that the royal navy used! We have replica buttons and belt fittings as well! We're just looking for the right seamstress that can do it correctly

- Jeff
The pants are just a common duck cloth though isn't it? Or....is it? Got a company name you wanna share?

Last edited:
When I get a chance I'll look at the shipping label, he had it imported for us, I'm pretty sure it has the factory name.

- Jeff

OK, this is my first thread about one of my projects. This was just a couple of years ago for myself and a friend. I decided I wanted to make this costume in multiples as good practice for the tailoring.

I never completed the entire outfit properly.....I made zippered slacks to make it easier to get in and out of....but am interested in finding a good pattern or I'll have to draft it myself and I could always do that.....but I would be guessing for much of it without better images.

I was lucky and happened onto a remnant table with a lot of navy blue wool that was perfect and priced to get rid of in late spring.

Then...after hunting all over town for every Wal Mart brass anchor button I could find in the two sizes I needed....I googled the company name, called them and they sold me a ton at cost. Very cool.
http://www.therpf.com/members/amads...tume-british-naval-first-lieutenant-frock.jpg

http://www.therpf.com/members/amads...nblower-replica-costume/2479-frock-detail.jpg

http://www.therpf.com/members/amads...io-hornblower-replica-costume/2182-bicorn.jpg
Wow! that looks amazing. I'm trying to make a regency spencer (ladies) inspired by the naval uniforms. (Oh and I've got to get bonnet and dress to fit in too.)
I was wondering about the 'flourish' on the hat. How did you make that? I need one for my bonnet trim.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back