Dying from dying a synthetic wig dark brown - HELP!!

Capn_Jack_Savvy

Sr Member
I am trying a technique of dying a costume wig that is blonde to a darker brown using 70% Isopropyl alcohol and FW Ink. Using a cup of alcohol and a few squirts of the ink, mixed in a spray bottle, and sprayed onto the wig. The alcohol evaporates but leaves the ink on the wig.

I can definitely say I am not having much luck at this. The wig is turning a slight tint of brownish green and it does not seem to take on the color very well. I am trying a second coat tonight to see what happens.

Anyone have experience in this technique and can recommend some hints?:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry

This is the wig. You can see the dark blonde on the back and this is the area I want to make even darker. The wig is a blend of Kanekalon synthetic hairs mixed with highlights of human hair.

SATO_T85_2.jpg

Less alcohol more ink. I coloured my Leia plaits this way:
mdb- costumes
Scroll down and you'll see the colour of the original vs dyed.

I think I wound up nearly 1:2 ink to alcohol.

As a hint it will turn crispy so you'll want to follow up with a silicon spray treatment. It'll also act as a sealant for the colour.

I would also try the RIT dye method. You can dye a synthetic wig to a degree with RIT dye. After you dye it you can break it up with a brown sharpie. As real hair has various tones in it, the sharpie helps keep the synthetic from being too uniform.

I tried concentrated RIT dye and USMC Boot Black dye on a synth wig, and they rubbed came off. I ended up going to a beauty shop that sells hair (for weaves and extensions, I guess). It says its real hair but I'm skeptical because of the price being so cheap. But it dyes and holds shape better than any synthetic does. I just cut it apart and epoxied it to a bald cap. Worked great.

Epic fail and a now a brunette. Soaked it overnight and the color changed maybe 1 level of brown. So it went from blond to brunette.

Off to find a newer wig!

The problem is you have a wig with both sythetic and real hair. You needed to dye the human hair first with a tradition hair dye, but not too dark and them use the rit dye method, probably mixing different collors together to get the proper depth and color. The stove top method, not forgetting to use salt and then always rinsing in a a vinegar and water solution to set the dye.

I have never had to work with a mixed wig, but know rit dye is what is used by theatre hair designers with synthetic wigs. You can't get black from a blond wig but you can darken the blond to light brown or brighten with non traditional colors.

I used IZIWIG wig a few years ago when I shaved my head after mutilating it with chemicals and I really loved it. Wig will completely change your confidence. It's just so pretty when put on. You can't even tell how nice it is when it's in the bag. Just like the marker method, the color is permanent. The only way to remove the color is with rubbing alcohol, or cleaners which contain a large amount of alcohol or ammonia. (Some styling products which contain a lot of alcohol, like hairspray, may partially dissolve the color, but you can either rinse out or wipe off the excess.) The color will not rinse out in cold water, so it is safe to wash your wig.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back