My Iron Man FOAM build (Mark IV)

Here are some fitment shots.

fitment3.jpg

fitment4.jpg

fitment2.jpg

fitment1.jpg

I'm happy with how the chest piece fits. It puts alot of bulk up around my shoulders that looks like the original. And the arms are much larger than my actual skinny arms. :lol

So I sent my girlfriend to Walmart to pick up a couple camping mats and they told her they don't carry them this time of year. Apparently I am off season. I live in FLA... I am screwed. Any ideas? I don't see them online either.

So I sent my girlfriend to Walmart to pick up a couple camping mats and they told her they don't carry them this time of year. Apparently I am off season. I live in FLA... I am screwed. Any ideas? I don't see them online either.

Maybe camping mats may be outta season (which i think is wierd) but how about think Yoga mats? Those should also be able to get the same result.
Do yall not have an Academy???? If so that may be your go to store!

Here are some sources:

Amazon.com: Stansport Pack-Lite Camping Pad- 72" x 19" x 3/8": Sports & Outdoors
EMS Basic Pad - Eastern Mountain Sports
Closed-Cell-Foam Sleeping Pad, 54": Sleeping Pads at L.L.Bean
Closed Cell Foam Pad, Sleeping Pads & Air Beds | Campmor
Liberty Closed Cell Foam Pads at Great Escapes Outdoor Sports
Wenzel closed cell camp pad - Shop sales, stores & prices at TheFind.com

Found these after a few google searches....

I've been to 3 walmarts in my area and they all had plenty of them in stock. And i live in the south like you, so it's not a regional thing. Check out the store for yourself, they'll be with the folding camping chairs and collapsable tents. Bright blue, hard to miss.

Yes I did too. I am completely capable of googling.

I simply would rather buy locally, not pay shipping and only pay 6 bucks as the Walmart ones are.

I am checking another Wally World in town tonight.

Didnt intend to say you're not capable of googling, just providing links to be helpful to anyone who may want to buy online. I agree, buying local is faster, cheaper and the obvious choice if you have time to wait for restocking.

Should Bell looks great!!! Care to share the template and/or shapes. Might help with my shoulder belles when I build them tonight.

It was simple once i figured it out.

You need to cut a football shaped piece out....like a diamond, but rounded sides instead of straight. Mine are 11" long tip to tip, and 2.5" wide at the widest part in the center.

Cut four of the football pieces exactly the same, then glue them together at their long sides. I cut one side of each piece at a slight angle, so it butted up against the next piece at the proper angle. Glue them together one at a time, adding about an inch of glue and holding it shut till it dries before moving on. This will make sure the glue doesnt stretch and open a gap in the seam. Because of the round shape of the sides, the pieces will begin to form a sphere as you add more.

Once done, you'll have a half-globe shape. With that basic shape, you can decide how to give the shoulder details. I cut the end off one side, then glued that end into the hole i just cut. that's at the top near the vest. I also cut the the entire bell midway down, then re-glued the two pieces at a slight offset to create more depth. Finally I cut the rhombus like shape out of the front and inset it, and cut the little fake fent near the point at the end. And i added in the circular hinge piece to the front, but it's for show, it's not connected anywhere.

The shoulder is actually connected to the vest with a hidden velcro strip. See the small slender piece in the big gap on the vest's shoulder? That's actually got one side of a velcro strip glued underneath and it extends into the shoulder bell. The other side of the velcro is glue to the vest. So i can detach the bell if i need to, but easily align it back on by placing that foam strip onto the hidden velcro on the vest.

Just hot glue. 3 dollar pink glue gun and glue sticks from walmart. Apply liberally, squeeze together tightly for a few seconds, done. That's what so great about this method, it's really easy to do.

Do you brush on fiberglass on top of the foam ? I'm intrigued on this idea for armor building, I'm thinking about Clone War Jedi armor.

Great job so far BTW.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back