My Iron Man FOAM build (Mark IV)

You should deffinatley make and keep good patterns, some of us here might be very interested in buying paper patterns from you for our own builds, just a thought.:cool

Weekend was spent with the girlfriend, i didn't make nearly as much progress as I was hoping...AND she found out that i'm up to something. But she still doesn't know what, just that I'm working on something at night when she's asleep, lol.

I finished the codpiece and it fits well with the abs, then i went and made changes to the chest piece. I didn't like how flat and small the upper chest was, so i adjusted where it was connected between my neck and shoulders. I added some space to push the chest further away from my body, and it looks better now, more beefy. I'll need to rework that area, but i think it was the right choice.

Hey Jordan, can you hook me up with the template pieces for your shoulder? The adjustment i made to the chest made the shoulder bells i already made too small. If you could just save the pieces in a PDF and email it to me, i'd really appreciate it. I don't have the pep reader...i'm mac only.

I also started on the calfs. I'm going to work up from the bottom, trying to get the feet, calves and thighs on their way this week. I'm making templates the first time so i can copy over for the other side, so hopefully it will go a bit faster.

I'll post some pics of my progress late tonight.

And RusselSculpts, its definitely an interesting idea to make templates, but the problem is this is a very custom build...for anyone. I'm a little guy, just 5'6", 165lbs, so my patterns would be very different from anyone else, even someone just a few inches taller or a few lbs heavier or lighter.

I wouldnt feel comfortable selling someone templates without the guarantee that they'd end up with a suit they were happy with and could wear comfortably.

Also, this is a very inexact science. I'm constantly making changes, adding and cutting pieces away that i've already 'finished', and resizing as necessary. If my template for something starts in one shape on posterboard, it almost always changes a few times after i've cut the foam and put it in it's final position.

PM sent.

Weekend was spent with the girlfriend, i didn't make nearly as much progress as I was hoping...AND she found out that i'm up to something. But she still doesn't know what, just that I'm working on something at night when she's asleep, lol.

I finished the codpiece and it fits well with the abs, then i went and made changes to the chest piece. I didn't like how flat and small the upper chest was, so i adjusted where it was connected between my neck and shoulders. I added some space to push the chest further away from my body, and it looks better now, more beefy. I'll need to rework that area, but i think it was the right choice.

Hey Jordan, can you hook me up with the template pieces for your shoulder? The adjustment i made to the chest made the shoulder bells i already made too small. If you could just save the pieces in a PDF and email it to me, i'd really appreciate it. I don't have the pep reader...i'm mac only.

I also started on the calfs. I'm going to work up from the bottom, trying to get the feet, calves and thighs on their way this week. I'm making templates the first time so i can copy over for the other side, so hopefully it will go a bit faster.

I'll post some pics of my progress late tonight.

Great work man! i think im gonna use your technique when i make the cod piece, i think it would be much more comfortable! llok forwards to more updates

Not really, i'm trying to work out the calve. I want it to be easy to get in and out of, but i also want it to close up properly without any gaps at the closure point. Its also a complex piece, i think i used about 9 different pieces fit together to get the calve shape. I was working on a velcro solution, but i wasnt happy with it. I ended up gluing the entire thing shut, which means i can no longer fit inside it, but once i cut details into it, i'll cut it open again to make it wearable.

Trust me you dont' even want to know how many pieces go into each piece of my suit... it is wayyy to complicated.. but then again it works to my advantage because I end up with a somewhat accurate build.. based on the peps.

Can't wait to see your progress Maniac.

Not really, i'm trying to work out the calve. I want it to be easy to get in and out of, but i also want it to close up properly without any gaps at the closure point. Its also a complex piece, i think i used about 9 different pieces fit together to get the calve shape. I was working on a velcro solution, but i wasnt happy with it. I ended up gluing the entire thing shut, which means i can no longer fit inside it, but once i cut details into it, i'll cut it open again to make it wearable.

Adrian. Did you finish up the way the elbow, forearm and bicep will pivot? I have ideas but was wondering if you finished that yet. I got your PM I will do my best to get what you asked to you asap.

My idea is sound, i just havent gotten the proper length of hardware. I happened to have a few nuts bolts and washers in my toolbox and used them to figure it out, I just need to get shorter bolts because the ones i had are about half an inch too long.

It's simple really. In my build, the elbow is connected to the forearm, rather than a seperate piece. I slide the bicep piece inside the elbow part of the forearm and put a bolt through either side(see photos in post 31 to see how they fit together).

A bolt is pushed through from the inside out, using washers along the way, like this.(the vertical dashes are washers)

OUTSIDE - nut|foam||foam|bolt head - INSIDE

Two bolts are used for each arm, one on either side of my elbow. I'll probably cover the nut on the outside with a little foam piece just to finish it. But when it's put together the arm moves exactly as it's supposed to and doesn't restrict movement.

I'll post it up tonight. i was working on the foot last night, eesh that's a nightmare of pieces that will have to fit together.

I could just do a few big pieces...you know, top, side, front, and just kind of fudge it, but i really want a squared off boot like the suit, so it's a long road. I'm saving the templates i make of all the little facets of the boot so i can replicate it on the other foot, but it's taking a while.

Yeah I haven't thought of that yet. But I have one thight done. I just need to flip the patterns and do the other side. I will post more progress pics when my undersuit comes.. simply because the cod fits snug and it'll look retarded if I post a pic of me in underwear with the cod piece. LOL

Can't wait to see the progress.

BTW does your cod piece allow for easy bathroom breaks?
I'll post it up tonight. i was working on the foot last night, eesh that's a nightmare of pieces that will have to fit together.

I could just do a few big pieces...you know, top, side, front, and just kind of fudge it, but i really want a squared off boot like the suit, so it's a long road. I'm saving the templates i make of all the little facets of the boot so i can replicate it on the other foot, but it's taking a while.

Yes, i've designed it so the lower section of the cod piece, the round cup-shaped part under the beltline will be detachable with velcro. I'm not really sure whether or not i'll even connect the front to the back, the butt of the piece curves around me pretty well, connecting them might just make it uncomfortable.

I'm with you though, i'm waiting till my undersuit gets here before i post photos of the codpiece, lol.

I'll be interested to see your thigh piece.

Hey IronManiac! I've been watching your build and I finally made an account! lol

I was wondering how you added that ripple pattern on the front bicep part. Did you cut that portion out and glue it back on so that it's lower than the surface?

That's exactly it. I cut out the bicep section as a single piece, cut it into three pieces, then reglued em back in place at a staggered height in the hole they came from.

Nice work on your build, it's looking good so far. I really like seeing how people choose to solve the problems of depth and size.

even though the texture of the matting would be different they sell big sheets of foamies at hancock fabric. My store sell them in like 24 x36 sheets and may be 1/4 inch thick... also michaels sells much bigger sheets but only in a smaller thickness for a similar price

And RusselSculpts, its definitely an interesting idea to make templates, but the problem is this is a very custom build...for anyone. I'm a little guy, just 5'6", 165lbs, so my patterns would be very different from anyone else, even someone just a few inches taller or a few lbs heavier or lighter.

I wouldnt feel comfortable selling someone templates without the guarantee that they'd end up with a suit they were happy with and could wear comfortably.

Also, this is a very inexact science. I'm constantly making changes, adding and cutting pieces away that i've already 'finished', and resizing as necessary. If my template for something starts in one shape on posterboard, it almost always changes a few times after i've cut the foam and put it in it's final position.
Of this you are right. I mentioned I was building a Halo master cheif for my son for halloween based on your inspiration here. I spent 4 hours on one shin/calf/knee guard, just to get it right. I did have quick success on the cod and thigh peices, they look great. I've made a chest piece as well but not happy with it and going to redo it.
Thanks for this thread, very cool.

Just put in an order for a gallon of Flexbond. I'm hoping to hit it really hard the next four days...maybe get close to a full suit for when the flexbond gets here. Of course i'll post impressions for everyone about how the flexbond works out.

And my under suit should be arriving tomorrow, so i can post pics of the cod piece with the undersuit.

I'll post some updated pics tonight. I reworked the chest and ab pieces a good bit over the last two nights, i'm much happier with how it looks when worn now. I tried working on the boots last night, but man that's a complicated shape to build.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back