My Iron Man FOAM build (Mark IV)

not trying to hijack your thread or anything... your work is utterly amazing but have you tried the flex bond yet? I am asking because i would like to also try a similar project but painting this stuff is a poin if it is not coated. so any word on what the product looks like after the flex bond?

Started on the pelvis last night. And look what came in the mail at work today!

photo.jpg

Hi! This looks amazing!!

I was wondering how the Shoulder/Bicep/Forearm are attached to each other or how you (plan to) keep them on?

The shoulder bell is attached to the chest piece. The upper and lower arms will be attached with nuts and bolts at the elbow. When i get the right size hardware i'll post to show how they're connected.

Ha! We have ours connected or at least planned on connecting the same way.

The shoulder bell is attached to the chest piece. The upper and lower arms will be attached with nuts and bolts at the elbow. When i get the right size hardware i'll post to show how they're connected.

For the record Brother Foster has already built, flexbond brush and painted a suit which he has worn and another friend wore the following year. It held up well... correct me if I am wrong BroFos.

So... any word on if you have tried to paint it and if it came out ok????

Hmm, I can imagine how the nuts and bolts would work, but I am having trouble visualizing how the shoulder bell is attached to the chest piece.

Do you have a foam tab that runs under both the chest and the shoulder bell and it's glued to both? Does moving your arms a lot cause the foam to bend or...?

If you get a spare minute to shoot a close up on the attachment, that would be awesome. All the foamies projects are so inspiring. Thanks again for posting!! (y)thumbsup

Do you have a foam tab that runs under both the chest and the shoulder bell and it's glued to both? Does moving your arms a lot cause the foam to bend or...?

It's simple really.

Go back to post #34 and look at those pics. Do you see the groove in the shoulder of the chest piece? And do you see the retangular piece of foam that's set down into that groove? That's where the shoulder is connected.

I cut a small piece of foam the same width as the groove, put a strip of velcro in the groove, and another strip on the underside of that small piece. The strip of velcro attached to the little foam piece extends out and is glued to the underside of the shoulder bell.

So i basically connected the shoulder bell to the little retangular piece with a strip of velcro on the underside, then i just stick it into the the groove on the chest. Done. The shoulder doesnt flex or bend since it's only attached at that one point, it just moves like a flap if i raise my arm.

Thanks to everyone for the compliments. I'm hoping to hit it hard this weekend, getting the codpiece done and starting on the legs.

I too plan on hitting it hard.. and may I also respond with.. "that's what she said"

I am doing the hip pods, legs and the hand cover dohickies.

P.S. Maniac.. I bought a red top and bottom compression gear from EastBay they have a 2 for 29.99 deal on right now. I got the mock neck top and tights bottom. Compression gear in red which they call maroon.

It's simple really.

Go back to post #34 and look at those pics. Do you see the groove in the shoulder of the chest piece? And do you see the retangular piece of foam that's set down into that groove? That's where the shoulder is connected.

I cut a small piece of foam the same width as the groove, put a strip of velcro in the groove, and another strip on the underside of that small piece. The strip of velcro attached to the little foam piece extends out and is glued to the underside of the shoulder bell.

So i basically connected the shoulder bell to the little retangular piece with a strip of velcro on the underside, then i just stick it into the the groove on the chest. Done. The shoulder doesnt flex or bend since it's only attached at that one point, it just moves like a flap if i raise my arm.

Thanks to everyone for the compliments. I'm hoping to hit it hard this weekend, getting the codpiece done and starting on the legs.

P.S. Maniac.. I bought a red top and bottom compression gear from EastBay they have a 2 for 29.99 deal on right now. I got the mock neck top and tights bottom. Compression gear in red which they call maroon.

Ha! I was looking at that EXACT SAME STUFF today!! I'm going to buy the same stuff. LOL, great minds, huh?

They do think alike.. ha ha. Good call. Price can't be beat plus its in a nice bright red.. and a mock neck just in case our skin thought it'd try to show through the neck armor.

How are you lighting up your helmets eyes? I have considered EL wire since it seems to be cheaper than EL sheets. Thoughts?

Ha! I was looking at that EXACT SAME STUFF today!! I'm going to buy the same stuff. LOL, great minds, huh?

Still up in the air on the eyes. Fettster might have a solution coming some time, but i might have to figure something out before he comes out with his.

I see how it works now.

Thanks! That was very helpful! My foam should be here on Monday so I cannot wait to get started!!!!
:)

This thread has inspired me to make a foam build Halo costume for my 10 year old son for Halloween. I've got some parts done, have to say working with this foam is pretty easy. I like your method of stepping it to add detail. And you can work with the natural roll of the foam to inhance the shape. Thanks again. I'll post pics of my build on a different thread.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back