My Iron Man FOAM build (Mark IV)

How much did you pay for your helmet? I was thinking about grabbing one of the $25 Halloween ones and then strengthening it and rebuilding it/painting it.

Stomach piece pics will be posted Monday. It is very easy to move around in. Since I hvent painted it yet, I don't know how well it will hold up to extended use, but the foam will never rip or tear.

The helmet was a bit pricey, but not too bad...$130. I bought a raw leftover cast from VashDStampede that he posted in the junkyard. I really wanted a super accurate helmet, just because it's a focal point of the whole costume so I went this way instead of foaming it. I plan to light the eyes and make the faceplate detachable, so I can take it on and off to talk without removing the helmet. It's in the mail on it's way right now, should be here early next week!

Love seeing these templates. Hopefully someone posts a whole document or many pics of all the templates used to make these masterpieces. I think this would be much more practical than bondo for someone without much workspace and experience.

Once your done will you just spray paint it, or is there some kind of coating youll be doing?

We've talked about it a bit in this thread, but to recap: I'll be using a product called flexbond. Based on recommendations from Brotherfoster and Fullmetalsam, who both have done foam costumes before, i'll be paiting that on as a coat of adhesion promoter. Spray paint will go on top of that.

hello there, I`m irwan form indonesia, people in my country usually used this foam,
6-1.jpg

it has a smooth texture, for painting we coating it first with waterproof agent than paint it
or for any occasion wrap it with leather
3-2.jpg

Iron Maniac, When I googled Flexbond I got several hits for a tile mortar, one for an arrow glue, and one for a product named flex-bond 5000, which is a sealant/adhesive...Now I doubt you guys are slathering foam with thin-set mortar :lol, but can I get a link?

EDIT: Is it Flexbond 165?

hello there, I`m irwan form indonesia, people in my country usually used this foam,

Any idea where I could learn more about that, or where to find some?

Exactly.

Maniac.. what are you wearing under your foam parts? I am looking online for alternatives but wondered what you had planned.

I haven't figured that one out yet, but i imagine it will have to be some sort of tights in dark red. I'll have to start looking for those soon.

How are able to cut at an angle?

Simple, just use an exacto knife, slice into the foam with the blade at an angle, and try to keep your blade at that consistent angle as you make your cut across the foam. I usually cut pieces out with straight cuts, then go back and cut angles as i need them.

I'll be posting pics of the ab section tonight.

Has anyone actually used the flexbond on this type of foam... the foam listed above is like a foamies sheet. I want to try this... and have made parts with the camping mats but has anyone used the flex bond on this material and what does it look like.

lol...i'm building it in secret from my girlfriend. I don't want her to see it till it's done, heehee.

When she goes to bed I'll bring the suit out and shoot some pics.

Ok, here's my stomach solution.

I wrapped my back and sides with a single piece, staggered to give it some depth. I'll run the spine up the back into the upper back piece and down into the pelvis. Up front the two ends are connected with an elastic band, which allows my stomach to expand and shrink, so i can breathe. Then in the front, velcro strips attach the waist piece to the underside of the chest piece. That makes sure it stays in place as i move.

stomach2.jpg

stomach3.jpg

Next, i built a seperate piece for the abs. It's connected in 3 places to the chest and waist pieces. I added a piece at the top of the ab section with velcro, i slide that piece under the chest piece (just below the arc reactor) and velcro it in place, then velcro on the sides.

stomach1.jpg

And here's how it all fits together.

fitment8.jpg

fitment7.jpg

Back:

fitment9.jpg

Sorry for the blurry pics, batteries are dying on my camera.

Looking good Maniac. I have my cod piece built and will post pics tonight hopefully. I am going to worry about the ab section last. I hope to get the other shoulder bell done and my handplates...

BTW what are you wearing for gloves? Put any thought into that?

Oh and Arc reactor wise what are you doing?

Gloves will likely be long and leather...or some sort of cheap pleather material. I'd like to add some foam pieces to the fingers to give them some depth but still allow me to use my hands pretty normally.

As for an arc reactor, i'm going to buy the really good looking prop arc reactor on ebay...ONLY if i finish the costume building. It's going to be my reward for seeing it all the way through head to toe.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back