My Iron Man FOAM build (Mark IV)

Hey IM, Donrobert said "VERY NICE" on your foam build. the shoulder bells were great. He was thinking how it will turn ot when you wear it. isn't it too soft since it's foam? Also, the chest need more depth to make it detailed. :)

Thanks. The chest COULD use a bit more detail, but based on my reference photos, there's not much else to do. The chest only has a few seperate surfaces. I'm not done in any way, so maybe I'll find more to do.

I'm planning on getting the arc reactor on eBay, it's very detailed, so I think it going to be my centerpiece for the chest. It's gonna be my reward , I'm only going to buy it if I complete the entire suit. Good motivation.

As for the foam, it's pretty ridgid once it's built into it's shape, it can flex, but it doesn't flex much.

Finished the other arm.

upperbod3.jpg

upperbod2.jpg

upperbod1.jpg

And some fitment shots. The shoulders really beef up the look, they're wide!

fitment6.jpg

fitment5.jpg

Onward to the abs and middle torso.

Looks killer Iron Maniac. Since I am having most trouble on my shoulders. Any way you could post the pictures of the flat templates you used to build them? I am posting pics of all my flat pieces soon.

Honestly shocking. This is going to be an amazing suit. I wish I had a time machine so I could go back and show myself this, because even though I'm half way through a build, your build is so good it makes me want it.

Keep it up dude. I can't wait to see how badass the legs turn out.

edit: ps, amazing job keeping the gaps in the armor minimal. when you have it on there's only a thumb sized gap at the shoulder! That's some serious craftsmanship.

Woot!

helmet1.jpg

Just put a helmet on order from VashDStampede. I'll need to finish it, but i'm really excited to get a good cast of a helmet. I plan on cutting the faceplate and attaching it with magnets, so i can pull it off by hand and reattach it on top of the helmet. That way i can chat with people this Halloween without having to pull the helmet off completely. So excited!

Thanks for the comments. Making the joint gaps as small as possible has been one of my biggest priorities.

I've gotten some questions about the shoulder construction, i hope this illustration helps explain how i built mine:

shoulder.jpg

Happy to answer questions.

after seeing this thread and a few others this as inspired me to make my very first armor set from scratch. Its going to be GOW armor but armor still the same. ( I live in CA so I dont think finding the 5.99 rolls is going to be an issue. Its always camping season. around here LOL. Very awsome work.

I'm curious to see how you will be sealing the foam and painting it.
You mentionned a couple of post back that you weren't going to use flexbond - and you were going to try something and post the result.

Did you try that something ??? and what results did you get ???

By the way - the armor is awesome... and CinammonB said, the craftmanship is amazing, I like the fact that you're really making sure we won't see too much of your undersuit.

I'm curious to see how you will be sealing the foam and painting it.
You mentionned a couple of post back that you weren't going to use flexbond - and you were going to try something and post the result.

Did you try that something ??? and what results did you get ???

By the way - the armor is awesome... and CinammonB said, the craftmanship is amazing, I like the fact that you're really making sure we won't see too much of your undersuit.

I AM going to use flexbond after all, I think. I found a place in town that can get it for me.

My bright idea was adhesive vinyl...like for signs or car graphics..the big sheets that signshops have. I found a place online that sold samples so i ordered a few shades of red and a gold sample piece.

Unfortunately, the vinyl doesnt adhere well enough.. Also, i was hoping i'd be able to pull and stretch the vinyl over seams and creases in the suit...but to do that, the surface you're stretching over needs to be ridgid enough for the vinyl to conform to. The foam structure just squishes under pressure, so it's not going to lay smoothly on the foam.

So i'm back to flexbond. I've pm'd BrotherFoster about the process..I'm hoping he'll hit me back with tips and advice on how to use the flexbond and the finishing processes. I'm not sure if i need to get the flexbond tinted, or if i need to paint the flexbond on followed by a coat of color.

Thanks for the compliments. I'm going out of town for the rest of the week so i'm not going to get much done..but i'll be back at it hard next week. :)

Awesome. Look forward to seeing those pictures. BTW Iron.. what do you plan on doing for the arc and hand repulsors? BTW I think I am going to try and incorporate real bolts/screw heads in my build to help give it the notion of metal.

Stayed up late and got the midsection and abs done. I'll post pics when i get back in from out of town.

Love this thread, thanks for sharing so much. What I like about the foam builds is that it seems you can move around comfortably in the costume without fear of damaging it. Is that true? Great work by the way.

Since building mine I have been test fitting each piece and yes.. it is comfortable and squishes if it is pinched or crushed in any way.. so yes I don't think we'll need to worry about damaging anything.

Love this thread, thanks for sharing so much. What I like about the foam builds is that it seems you can move around comfortably in the costume without fear of damaging it. Is that true? Great work by the way.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back