young prop maker needing some education.

ChaseKiefer

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hello everybody,

My name is Chase and I'm sixteen with the dreams of being a prop maker. I play around with plastic and spray paint but beyond that I'm pretty clueless on how to sculpt props, make molds, etc.
I'm asking for some info on how to do these things and what certain materials are used for. Please Reply.

May the Force be with you all,
Chase K.

As i know, you can become self-learned prop maker in most parts of the world.
But i guess you will have to take lessons from someone "pro" or having good work to present if you want to get involved in film industry. Just guessing though..

I think you should learn using wood and metal as well.
Also, look around your home for useless parts and screws and nuts and stuff like that. Spent time imagining how or where you can use them.
Spent so more additional time and imagine something you want to build, something that comes form your imagination. Then build it as you imagined it.
Later, build something from a movie or TV series and such.

May i ask what tools you have and what experience you have with them? (power tools included) Because if you don't know even how to put a nail in the wall, then you have much to learn.

It's tough to answer such a broad question because the answer really depends on what you want to make, how much money you have and how much time you want to invest in each project.

What do you really, really love?

Something I've found is that while making something you get to know it really well and the more you love it, the more you'll end up enjoying the process and won't mind if it takes you a while to figure out how to do it cause you're spending time with something you love! :D

My specialties are costumes on a dime (or slightly more)... costumes and tutorials on my website link in my sig but there are others here that can help with models and high end armor if that's your thing.

Agreed,,,depends on what kind of props you want to make, but there are MANY skills you need to learn like sculpting, mold making, painting, wood working, leather working, sewing, even welding, I would focus on one thing you like, try making something you really want. if you really want it youll learn all you need to know to make it. It may take a long time and a lot of trial and error but youll get it.

Last edited:
Do you have access to a wood shop? When I was a teen I worked mostly in wood. Branching out and learning awesome layering of details is fun and exciting but if you're starting out, you gotta learn some good strong basics! Try your hand at hacking away at foam to make your favorite video game sword, check out tutorials on how to properly paint it, etc. (My friends in highschool did amazing things with Bondo and similar products. ;) )

Best of luck, man! I hope to see some builds by you soon!

Hello everybody,
Edit....
I'm pretty clueless on how to sculpt props, make molds, etc.
I'm asking for some info on how to do these things and what certain materials are used for. Please Reply.
Edit...

Practice, Practice, Practice! That's what I've been doing. Never let someone tell you you're to young, look at some of the stuff that I've made, from Practice I've gotten better. Guess how old I am, almost 16, I've learned so much stuff over the past year and a half, like what clay to buy, what tools you need, what kind of silicone to use, where to buy, ect. All from Searching on this site(and TDH.com).

Good luck You're gonna need it!:lol

Ps,(almost) always buy the stuff that cost a little more, it'll last you way longer.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for all of the replies,

My dad is a tile layer and all around handy man so I have a whole building of tools at my dispossal. I have knowledge on metal, wood, and plastic working. I am a huge star wars fan so I like making blasters and other star wars stuff. I want to learn more on sculpting. I would like to learn about chemical stuff like silicones, rubbers, etc. Mold making is a skill I would also like to acquire. I want to get into more model making to help my creativity and focus on detail.

Living in central florida has it's advantages. There are alot of scenic shops that build props for the theme parks. Try to find some scenic shops and ask to sweep the floors or any little thing to get your foot in the door.

Smooth-ons website has a ton of tutorials. And in your spare time just Google: how to make a silicone mold, how to cast resin, how to make a fiberglass mold, how to sculpt a clay bust, ect.

Read as much as you can, it will help you in the long run.

I'd recommend getting the clone wars complete character encyclopedia book( did I say that right :)). It has a ton of reference for sculpting and stuff like that.

Living in central florida has it's advantages. There are alot of scenic shops that build props for the theme parks. Try to find some scenic shops and ask to sweep the floors or any little thing to get your foot in the door.

im not entirely sure how far this can go for you, but if you're in the orlando area:

FX design group is a place you may want to see if they'd take you in for some general shop duties. thats where i worked before i was laid off, and they'd be more than happy to hire someone to give no money to, and a relief to people working there to have someone sweep and stuff. most of the guys on the floor are open to teach. but you would want to learn skills for the news studios and the corporate theater first, which you can apply to prop making second.

there's also a scene shop off of lb mcleod i just cant remember the name.

and there used to be phoenix rising in oakland, past ocoee.

hey, im prity new to prop building too, and have found that pepakura is a great starting point, im using it right now for a master chief armor, but they have pep files for just about anything, and if they dont have what you want, but have a 3d model of the prop, it can be easly converted into a pep file. so i hope this helps.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back