TWOK - Khan Noonien Singh

Hey all. I'm still pretty new to these forums and this'll be my first new thread so: Hi everyone. I'm really impressed with everything I see on these forums, there's a lot or really talented people here.

Anyway, I'm looking into making a Khan outfit and resources are pretty slim to put it mildly. A Google search usually only nets me a few pics from TWOK and a few from the museum piece they made of Khan's outfit.

Memory Alpha isn't much help either; plenty of background info about the movie but little about the costume themselves. Besides from the fact that they used an incredibly complicated machine to make the collars of the uniforms I'm not able to find much.

The necklace shouldn't be all that difficult to put together. I've found the other thread here about the replica that was produced and the pics should be extrememly helpful in putting my own together. So thanks to jhusel for posting that. I'm also pretty confident I can cobble together a decent belt as well find similar boots and pants.

Does anyone have any ideas about what kind of material they used for the metallic part of Khan's glove?

I'm primarily looking for any help with Khan's tunic itself. Since it was meant to look like it was made from upholstery and ship parts I'm going to assume that no one out there has any sort of pattern for it. I'm not even sure what colour to call it besides '80's fuzz'. Any help would be appreciated.

First welcome aboard our motley crew! :D

I don't have much reference on Khan's outfit. Here are just a couple pics from my files to get the conversation going.

You might also check at the Starfleet 1701st costuming forum; those guys may have done some Khan research.

http://starfleet1701st.yuku.com/

khan02.jpg

khan01.jpg

Thanks phase. Not sure how I managed to miss the Starfleet1701 page. I'll definitely check it out.

*Update* Not a whole lot of relevant threads over at SF1701 unfortunately. Although I did find a link to TrekCore, a screencaps page, which should be helpful.

Last edited:
Love me som Khaaaaaaan. That dude^ kinda looks like that guy in Die Hard that got blown away from the twinkie loving cop.

That's actually a fairly close jacket, all things considered. I'm probably going to end up diving into relatives closets looking for leftovers from the 70's to find anything remotely similar. :unsure

That guy is probably the first person I've ever seen even attempt this costume. It's incredibly complicated and would have to built from scratch. In other words, there's no pattern for it, nor was the clothing made from any existing clothing.

I think as a major Star Trek fan I can say this and get away with it too... realistically, there just aren't that many Trek fans out there with the body to pull off a costume like that.

I think as a major Star Trek fan I can say this and get away with it too... realistically, there just aren't that many Trek fans out there with the body to pull off a costume like that.

Haha - you're right about that. Probably a majority of the fanbase is either old and\or overweight. Fortunately we're not all like that. Halfway through my P90X program and I'm looking pretty good if I do say so myself. I think that's a great costume to attempt, but definitely no shortcuts there and will require some ingenuity to get it right.

Might have to try this one in a year or so - I'm all set with my Murray Mousie made TOS getup for this year...

Just "Off the cuff", I'm wondering if while the tramputo machines were working for the SF undershirt collars, they didn't ask for a run in the beige velvet or whatever of varying widths....

Saw an old Hawaii Five-O the other day with Mr. Montalban as the "asian type Heavy". Had a whole new forehead ....made me Wonder....

Of course it was "BOOK 'Em DAN-O" in the end!

Last edited:

Haha - you're right about that. Probably a majority of the fanbase is either old and\or overweight. Fortunately we're not all like that.

While I don't have any delusions that I'll look that good at 60 I think I can probably manage to pull it off at 27. :D

Looks like the DCon guy's quilting is too far apart. The federation undershirts supposedly used 1/2" stitching on the collar - looks like the costumers replicated that for the narrower quilting on Khan's left side. Based on that, the collar section looks to be 3/4" wide.

ETA: there are some "puffier" poly battings that can be stacked to get a simulated trapunto look.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back