NX-01 Red Nacelle Lights?

Smiling Demon

Sr Member
I'm in the process of building the NX-01 and I am planning the lighting system for it. I have decided to use the LED christmas lights for the most part and I am trying to figure out a inexpensive way to do the rotating red buzzard lights. I have a limited budget to work from so the cheaper the better. I really want to make it look good!
Any ideas on this?

Thanks

I don't think the bussard collectors really rotate on the NX-01; more of a pulsating light. I know on mine what I am planning on doing is adding a few LEDs. One (or more depending on how it looks) will be constantly on the other will pulsate. For the pulsating light I would use something like this:

http://www.bakatronics.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=579

You may have to balance the two by shielding slightly one or the other. Anyway, that is how I'm doing mine. If you want it to rotate you can use a chaser patter like this:

FK110 Chaser Kit, 3 LEDs
(or one of the other kits with more LEDs)

Again, I would have one (or more whatever it takes to get the right effect) LED on constantly and use the chaser pattern as an effect to enhance the lighting; not over power it. The NX-01 nacelle effect was pretty subtle. Keep in mind that you can replace the LEDs in the kit with just about any color without any modification to the board. I would mount the board someplace where you have plenty of room and then run just the wires for the LEDs to the nacelle. I hope that helps, lol.

Last edited:
Randy @ VoodooFX can get the best ones for you. They are not terribly expensive, but that would depend on your budget.

You might try some Santa hats from Hallmark card stores. They have 6 led's on them that flash in paired sequence. Example: Leds 1 and 4 light then 2 and 5 then 3 and 6. They are diffrent colors [red green and yellow] but you could change them. Best of all, they only cost $2.00 a hat. I picked up a dozen last year when they were clearenced out for 50 cent each. Was going to use them for the same idea, but only got as far as a prototype. Can"t say how long they will last . Hope that helps.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back