The I HATE PAWN stars thread!

I have tried to sell lots of things on Ebay for a fraction of what they are "worth" In realty things are only worth what someone is willing to pay for them. Go look up published values on many items and I doubt you will be able to sell them for that price.

That's the pawn business for you. They can ALWAYS say no. Hell, that guy has gotten burned a few times. THAT is a bit of schadenfreude for your ass right there.

I love Pawn Stars. It's entertaining and informative. I don't know how many times I yell at the TV "Don't sell it for that, wait and get the most for it you can!". :lol

On a slightly related note, that show, American Pickers shows those 2 guys traveling to people's properties and offering money for their old junk. On the one hand, it's cool, but on the other is they do in some ways take advantage of them. It's still entertaining though.

Last edited:
Sooo, let me get this straight. If someone brought an item to you and you knew the worth, you would NOT try to low-ball them into selling it cheaply? After buying it cheaply, you would not try to then turn it around for a profit?
What they 'offer' isnt a lowball, its not even a snowball, its 'the idiot price'-i think they may have even mentioned something like that on the show once or twice. The pawn owners are definitely slimy and greasy, i think they would sell their mother for a profit, and chumley ,may actually be retarded-or just real dumb (is he related to them somehow)?

They don't hide to the seller what a item might be worth. They get qualified people in to rate it in front of the seller and the seller knows what he could possibly get if he waits. Sometimes they sell, sometimes they don't but in the end it is the sellers decision. I've been in my share of pawn shops and believe me, the Pawn Stars shop is definitely upscale.

"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows" You need to just get over it and toughen up those delicate sensibilities of yours.... It comes off as really pathetic. You're whining over a type of business that's been around since the invention of free trade. Did you just discover pawn shops yesterday or something?

I am sure many are aware of the TV show now and may want to be on TV themselves.
Perhaps they get a little money to be on the show.
Other then that, it's Vegas and maybe some people just want money right now. They don't want to take the time to sell it on ebay or find auction houses or research the items themselves.

I like when they interview the seller before and they say, "I won't take less than 4,000." Then as soon as they find out that they don't have a one of a kind item and Rick offers them 100 bucks they take it. Then they interview them again and the stupid seller says, "I got a fair price."

What they 'offer' isnt a lowball, its not even a snowball, its 'the idiot price'-i think they may have even mentioned something like that on the show once or twice. The pawn owners are definitely slimy and greasy, i think they would sell their mother for a profit, and chumley ,may actually be retarded-or just real dumb (is he related to them somehow)?

Ohhhhh, I see! So to YOU, slimey and greasy equates to someone trying to make money! Got it!
I guess I'm a greasy slimeball as I bought my District 9 arc generator for 500.00 and I'm going to put it up on eBay and hope it sells for more!
I'm goin' to hell!

Ohhhhh, I see! So to YOU, slimey and greasy equates to someone trying to make money! Got it!
I guess I'm a greasy slimeball as I bought my District 9 arc generator for 500.00 and I'm going to put it up on eBay and hope it sells for more!
I'm goin' to hell!
Can you not see the difference between one ebay auction and the show?
If you are an admitted greaseball, so be it, I dont know you.

If there's anyone to hate, it's the sellers. Nobody is forcing them to sell at the prices offered. The pawn shop guys have to make a profit, and they tell the sellers this. If the seller doesn't like the price offered, that can just walk away, but the temptation of instant cash-money is always too much.

I've never been to a pawn shop to sell anything. They are usually a hoot to look into though. Again, how is it a slimeball move for low-balling?

I've never been to a pawn shop to sell anything. They are usually a hoot to look into though. Again, how is it a slimeball move for low-balling?
...Its embarrassing, insulting, etc...they even make a joke out of it...

answer this, if you try to sell something for 1,000 and someone offers you a nickel for it, how do you feel?

Last edited:
The only thing I hate about the show is the constant clips of them counting out money. I know it isn't the same but everytime I see them show a closeup of them counting cash it reminds me of this.

17-dollars3.jpg

Do you really need to endlessly show money to somehow prove your "worth?"

I love Pawn Shops. You can never tell what you'll find in them. Besides the normal fair like guns, knives, tools, old camera equipment, etc. But sometimes old out of production toys. I have known people who have found old worn out craftsman hand tools for as little as a nickel, that after purchase might have found their way back to Sears to get replaced via their lifetime warranty. However, I myself, would never condone that.

This thread is fail.

You aren't even reading half the responses.

SP???

Did you catch the part where I said THEY TELL THEM WHAT THEY ARE GOING TO SELL IT FOR???

Oldmans motto is always be honest to the customer on what something is worth. Then tell them what we can afford to offer for it. If they don't like it... fine.

The stuff they buy can sit in the store for 5 years. That does'nt make them squat. Often times they have to lower the price to liquidate and get it out of the store. IF they gave top dollar auction price and sold it for less... how could they afford to live?

They also get screwed over from time to time buying fake or stolen goods. They then lose what they paid completely. The markup they put on things goes towards all of that plus light rent food and employees.

Again are you a SP? Or just young and unwise to the way of buisness and/or the world?

I was able to buy a $900 Cannondale mountain bike at a pawnshop once for $75. They didn't know what they had I guess. We were driving by and they had a whole row of bikes with a sign saying "Clearance all mountain bikes $75"

Yeah, I'll take that one there thank you.

This thread is fail.

You aren't even reading half the responses.

SP???

Did you catch the part where I said THEY TELL THEM WHAT THEY ARE GOING TO SELL IT FOR???

Oldmans motto is always be honest to the customer on what something is worth. Then tell them what we can afford to offer for it. If they don't like it... fine.

The stuff they buy can sit in the store for 5 years. That does'nt make them squat. Often times they have to lower the price to liquidate and get it out of the store. IF they gave top dollar auction price and sold it for less... how could they afford to live?

They also get screwed over from time to time buying fake or stolen goods. They then lose what they paid completely. The markup they put on things goes towards all of that plus light rent food and employees.

Again are you a SP? Or just young and unwise to the way of buisness and/or the world?

Old Ken...calling it like you see it..or is that the force...

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back