The I HATE PAWN stars thread!

lol. 99% of everything discovery communications (they own A&E, discovery, history, TLC) have on is crap anymore. History international's all repeats as is discovery science. I think they own National Geographic now too. Apparently they don't want to teach Americans anything historical anymore. They needs a Discovery reality channel for all this crap. I've seen a ton of complaints about these shows on the history channel forums when i popped in looking at their online store. People were calling for a boycott in one thread.

Yeah I like Mike too. ;)

But you always do kinda play Devil's advocate. If everyone is all smiles about something... you have a negative comment.

If everyone is all against something.... You say lighten up! :p

(yet somehow almost always make a good point!)

You are generalizing my posts. How about all the "great job", "fantastic work", I post.

You read your own anger into my post.

Should I write endless diatribes?

Should I endlessly quote, point for point some silly argument that is totally subjective?

Should I just agree with everyone?

I don't get mad when people disagree with me. It's the other folks who get angry because the truth is thrown in their face.

Some folks need to learn that an "opinion" is not always correct,.

lol. 99% of everything discovery communications (they own A&E, discovery, history, TLC) have on is crap anymore. History international's all repeats as is discovery science. I think they own National Geographic now too. Apparently they don't want to teach Americans anything historical anymore. They needs a Discovery reality channel for all this crap. I've seen a ton of complaints about these shows on the history channel forums when i popped in looking at their online store. People were calling for a boycott in one thread.

Why do you have to call it ALL crap? Can't you think of better way to express yourself?

Just because YOU don't like it, doesn't make it ALL crap?

Millions watch a few complain, that makes it crap?

Stop generalizing and let people enjoy what they like and stop ****ting on them.

Build a ****ing prop for heaven's sake.

I didn't mean to tick you off. I'm just pointing out that alot of what History channel has on has nothing to do with history.

I didn't mean to tick you off. I'm just pointing out that alot of what History channel has on has nothing to do with history.

Pawn Stars and American Pickers both have to do with history. i too think they're the best things on tv right now - ever miss them.

And chalk me up as a fan of The Old Man - Chum seems on purpose - or acting up the part. I can't stand the son - he gets on my nerves.

And chalk me up as a fan of The Old Man - Chum seems on purpose - or acting up the part. I can't stand the son - he gets on my nerves.

Me too. I can't stand "Big Hoss's" labored breathing. It makes me feel like I'm going to have a heart attack just listening to him.

I owned a pawn shop for over 10 years. I never considered myself slimy by any means. The simple truth is that whatever it sold for new, you were lucky to get half that so you had to pay about 10-20% of new price to make a profit on a good day.

The folks complaining that they are low balling everyone on the show and basically trying to steal from them are welcome to their opinion but I would like them to open a second hand store and try to buy and sell stuff for what they would consider "fair" and then see how long you stay in business.

Not only do you have general overhead, payroll, taxes, pawn license fees and sales tax you have to figure in to your profit margin but you also have to keep in mind some of those unusual items may take a LONG time to sell and the longer its on the shelf the less you are really making on it.

The customers could always sell it on their own and make more money on it. But most people dont want to bother with the trouble of ebay, shipping, auction fees and waiting weeks to MAYBE sell their item.

Are all Pawn Brokers honest? Nope, but the ones on Pawn Stars don't come across as the scummy ones to me. Just my opinion.

3) You feel attacked because adults are talking and you don't want to hear what they are saying

This is my favorite RPF quote in a year.

Also, what Matt was talking about is called "keystoning" in second-hand shops: buy for 50% of what you think you can sell it for, and that's the keystone of your business.

First off, If you're not interested in Props, fine. But keep in mind that that is the passion/business of the majority of the members here. A lot of them make Extra money, or their main income is from selling things either here, or on Ebay, so When you attack Basic commerce you touch a nerve.

Second, I don't know any board where a Noob with 22 posts decides to Basically tell Members with Years, and post counts in the thousands, that their opinion, in your opinion thread, is wrong, and come across as arrogant in your tone ("Maybe, I don't know you"-that would be the point, get to know people before spreading your opinion like peanut butter in the ghetto) I frequent a board that if you had come across there the way you have here, you would have gotten this played on you-
20p79yd.jpg

and not the PG version either. We're talking a perceived lack of basic respect here.

Third, Here's a hypothetical situation: You go to the pawn shop with Martha Washington's breast pump. They call in their expert who verifys it's the real deal, and estimates that at auction you COULD get $5,000.00 for it.

They ask if you want to pawn or sell, you say sell. What do you want for it, You say "Well he said $5,000 so I want $5,000"

Ok, that was 5k best scenario at auction. Which the next auction may be 6 months up the road in your area. You have to pay an auction Broker fee, this broker fee must be paid whether your item sells or not. if your item does sell for over that amount, you will pay additional fees up to 20% of what it sells for. If you do not have a written certified Appraisal with you for your top end starting point, they will bring in their appraiser. Their appraiser may say it's only worth $3,000 and start the auction lower than you anticipated, bringing in Less, or you may be subject to the crowds whim, and not even get a bid at the starting price, and you go home Breast Pump in hand, and out the broker fee.

So, Rick now has you wanting 5k for this, he has 2 things in mind, what can HE realistically resell it for, 90+% of the time it won't be anywhere near the top end, best case Scenario of an auction, realistically, slash 25% of the value off the top, bringing it down to $3750 (I'm being generous here); Second, how fast can he resell it? If it's something like Elvis' Belt Buckle, it will go fast, so you are offered more.

Martha's breast pump, will probably sit and gather dust for a while, so He's going to offer less, because it is going to take up precious counter space, and has an eclectic to say the least, market. So he offers $1500. Now he figures he MAY get $2500 for it (not $3750), but in reality will let it go for $2200 giving him a profit of $700 to $1000, NOT the perceived Profit of $3500 of $1500 on a $5000 item.

That's not Slimy, That's not Sleezeball, that's making a fair offer based on several factors, the least of which is Rabid unemployment and a crap economy making everybody suffer financially. Buy, Sell, Loan Has been around since Biblical times, these guys are actually pretty fair, watch Hardcore Pawn on TRU for something of what a Real Pawn shop is like.

I took in some Custom made, all Silver and Semi-Precious stone jewelry, that I had the original $800 receipt for the set. The guy said "Yeah, silver isn't doing well...." (it's tripled in value to over $15 an ounce in the last 8 years), I could give you $50 for it. THAT is Reality, and THAT is Sleazy.

We don't hate you here, we don't expect you to Kowtow either, but coming on like a bull in a china shop before getting to know some of the characters here, isn't the best idea either.

What has the OT come to?

This is STILL the top thread???

I've been out to the bar and back!

Mic, I didn't mean to come across as pickin on yuns. I heart you.

I figured FunkyJ would stop by in this thread. I don't know why but I always picture Fyfe and funky to roll in a crew... being that they are odd Jedi types... Is that wierd? (sub-point is it wierd that it looks like Fyfes avatar is praying? I know he isn't and that it's just his robes... but from the corner of your eye?)

Hey...

Did I just derail this otherwise totally on course thread?

Sorry bout dat! :p

------------------------------------------------------------

Just read oneiros's post. HOLY LOL!!! :angel:lol

(Oneiros, I will ask you politely to not use reason, common sense, or any rational line of thinking in your OT posted anologies!)

What has the OT come to?

(Oneiros, I will ask you politely to not use reason, common sense, or any rational line of thinking in your OT posted anologies!)

Hence my Signature - "Hey!!! This is the internet, don't let facts get in the way of the discussion." :) :) :) Actually this thread had been a much needed release valve here. Kudos to all who played.

I do wonder how many collectors Rick has in his rolodex. He's often said "I already had some collectors in mind for this item", plus, being on tv I'm sure it helps them move items out the door faster.

Im not attacking or playing anyone/anything down, but, much of the show is staged for television. I know people who have been asked to "participate" or "loan" items for the show. I believe this went live so to say when the dude with the Les Paul guitar was traced then the guitar traced to another pawn shop where the owner confirmed it was "lent" to the show. I could be wrong.

On the plus side, not many understand "reality" tv or my use of "quotations" that denotes heavy "sarcasm". The guys on the show convey real world people while appealing to the low brow demographic but also to the higher brows with dialogue delivery, and all those in between. As an example, there is another pawn shop series thats just like Jerry Springer. Its not very popular and gone the way of that staged Operation Repo show.

If you enjoy the show, watch it. If you dont, well, dont.

It's reality TV...therefore its the furthest thing from reality you can find.

Even in the real world they are under no obligation to accept the offer, but I'm guessing most people didn't pay much for it so even if its a low ball offer its more than they paid for it.

If the stores makes a profit - congratulations.
If the seller accepts the offer - that's his choice.

It's an interesting show because you learn about some items that have historical interest sometimes.
Same sort of thing like Antiques Roadshow on PBS.

But yeah as said, it's reality TV so who knows what the real deal is on all of it. I am sure plenty of people are not exactly coming off the street cold with some of that stuff.

I'm waiting for the ultimate show anyways.......

Ice truck midget ghost hunter pickers.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back