The I HATE PAWN stars thread!

Yeah', that whole 'negotiating' thing is simply absurd!

Oh...and adding a little frivolity to the process. Unscrupulous. :rolleyes

You'll do well here. :thumbsup

...Its embarrassing, insulting, etc...they even make a joke out of it...

If you watch Rick on his sales, a large part of it is reading your customer. He's been there a LONG time and knows when some jacked up goof comes in there desperate for blackjack cash. Those are the fools he'll low-ball the most and they're so desperate, they'll take it.

He knows when the smarter people come in and he treats them with a bit more respect, and they really do usually come to a fair deal.

They're smart business men. I can't think of a better place for a Pawn Shop and if you saw the episode with the Old Man's house, you can see how successful they have been.

I get mad at the people that come in there with a civil war sword that has been in their family for generations and it's some kid that sells it for $500 so he can go to the ta-ta bars for one night. Infuriates me.

answer this, if you try to sell something for 1,000 and someone offers you a nickel for it, how do you feel?

How do I feel? I thank them for their time and walk away. SEE? SIMPLE! So easy even a greaseball like me can do it!

answer this, if you try to sell something for 1,000 and someone offers you a nickel for it, how do you feel?
Like an idiot for thinking my crap is worth $1,000. That's how. They are beyond fair with their customers. They give them the whole Antique's Roadshow treatment and then make them an OFFER. An offer than can refuse, or accept.

When I was a Pawn Broker, I never let the customer see any of my Blue Books or talk to any of my experts EVER!!

If they have something that I didn't know a price on I'd either tell them to leave it or tell them to bring it back in an hour. I always knew the price though.

You make money on how much you have loaned out, not on your sales!!! They seem to be buying everything and I've never seen them Pawn anything. That's more like an antique store than a real pawn shop.

FB

The scenario you are describing is marking an item up 100%

Just wanted to clarify that

So you hate the show because they try to turn a profit so they can stay in business? You do know this is what america is all about, right? Would it surprise you to learn that chain stores can pull a 90% markup on some items? heck, from what I have seen on the show, they usually try to go for a 50% markup. If they can sell the item for 1000 bucks, they will offer 500.

50% is actually a pretty awful margin for a business, and a GREAT deal for the guy selling their stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
I urge anyone who thinks that the mark ups are unreasonable to stand outside the pawn shop (or start your own) and tell everyone that you'll pay 50% more than Rick is paying them. That'll still leave you a 50% markup. Then you go and sit on it for possibly 5 years or put it in an auction house and let's see if you're still standing.

Seriously, go to any restaurant and order a $10-$14 pasta dish (or in a more expensive restaurant that has a $30-$50 pasta dish). You think there's MORE than $7 worth of materials that go into that dish?

You should complain less about pawn stars and start boycotting your local restaurants and stores

Buying items like that is a risk. The pawn shop isn't guaranteed a resale. It may sit on the shelves for years, forcing him to slowly mark the price down. I imagine many items sell for a loss eventually. So they need to make a good sized profit on what they do sell to offset the losses.

They exist to make money. Just as all businesses do. As long as they aren't lying, there's nothing wrong with it.

Scott

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back