Rocketeer Harness - South beach leather

St. Matticus

Anyone know anything about the rocket pack harness South Beach Leather is advertising on their site? There are no pictures and the price seems relatively cheap... I've e-mailed them to try to get more info.

I'm looking for a harness and control gloves.. but there isn't anything on finhead central or here. I can grind, shape, glue, and form until the cows come home... but I don't have what it I would need to stitch together an accurate harness... plus finding the buckles.. :unsure Obviously the bottom buckle will have to wait.

Well, from the quality of stuff coming from them, I wouldn't put too much hope in them. The harness will be next to impossible to mass duplicate for screen accuracy. It's pretty much built to fit, not a lot of customizing. The stunts had velcro instead of all the buckles. But I can't see it fitting everyone's body type. Unless Clint is selling his proposed harnesses through them.

- Jeff

Several months ago or maybe a year or so ago, I contacted South Beach leather to see if they could make me a custom rocketeer harness..They made a decent jacket, and i wondered if they could possibly do a decent harness. I gave them a few info about the harness, and they said they could do it.

After, putting much more thought into it, the possibility of them making a decent harness was very slim. i believe they wouldnt be able to pull it off. The type of leather they used is too light and not thick enough. It is cheap leather (if that). The pack is too heavy and it will stretch the leather easily.

I decided not to give them more info regarding the harness..

there are several threads out there..I am limited on time, but I can pm you some.

Replica lower harness buckle is easy to find but may cost a pretty penny or two..It is close to the original but there are several things it doesnt have or off..

Here is a pic of a production buckle obtain by a crew member next to the replica buckle..The upper buckle is on the bottom right

406a20be.jpg

Last edited:
Well, from the quality of stuff coming from them, I wouldn't put too much hope in them. The harness will be next to impossible to mass duplicate for screen accuracy. It's pretty much built to fit, not a lot of customizing. The stunts had velcro instead of all the buckles. But I can't see it fitting everyone's body type. Unless Clint is selling his proposed harnesses through them.

- Jeff

Thanks, Jeff.

I was hoping you would have some input here. I am suprised how little info on the harness has been discussed in open forum. I assumed given the price SBL listed on their site that it would not meet my expectations. Is Clint building and selling harnesses?

Several months ago or maybe a year or so ago, I contacted South Beach leather to see if they could make me a custom rocketeer harness..They made a decent jacket, and i wondered if they could possibly do a decent harness. I gave them a few info about the harness, and they said they could do it.

After, putting much more thought into it, the possibility of them making a decent harness was very slim. i believe they wouldnt be able to pull it off. The type of leather they used is too light and not thick enough. It is cheap leather (if that). The pack is too heavy and it will stretch the leather easily.

I decided not to give them more info regarding the harness..

there are several threads out there..I am limited on time, but I can pm you some.

Replica lower harness buckle is easy to find but may cost a pretty penny or two..It is close to the original but there are several things it doesnt have or off..

Here is a pic of a production buckle obtain by a crew member next to the replica buckle..The upper buckle is on the bottom right

406a20be.jpg

Good info to know EvilR. Thanks for sharing. I knew you guys would have the 411 on this. Being a novice Finhead, I am limited to what I can google or find out from you guys. Any info you'd be willing PM, including where I can go to get the right buckles would be a huge help!! Many thanks!

I don't have a sewing machine that's heavy duty enough to sew leather, so my prototype isn't accurate but is functional while looking pretty close/functional looking. For the weight of the pack I went with a thick leather, and cut out a rough shape for the pack to mount to, the edges have been refined since this picture but here's mine as I was working on it, I did line the inside with a soft leather so it wouldn't scratch the back of the jacket and hid the mounting bolts under leather tabs:
IMG_4205-vi.jpg

IMG_4199-vi.jpg

IMG_4203-vi.jpg

IMG_4209-vi.jpg

IMG_4234-vi.jpg

b-vi.jpg

I need to shorten the shoulder straps so the pack doesn't pull down so much. But I'm gonna remake it anyway. Hope this helps!

OH, and make SURE you test fit the harness WITH the jacket on! I went through 2 pieces of leather....d'oh

- Jeff

I received photos from SBL and the harness looks to be well made with additional support for the weight. It has velcro like the stunt harness. Obviously it is not dead nuts, but I may just go ahead and get it so I can see if I like it.

I received photos from SBL and the harness looks to be well made with additional support for the weight. It has velcro like the stunt harness. Obviously it is not dead nuts, but I may just go ahead and get it so I can see if I like it.

Can you post pix of it?

- Jeff

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back