2001/2010 Helmet Discussion

micdavis

Master Member
I've started this thread to discuss the lineage of a recently purchased 2001 helmet.

Number3.jpg

According to the eBay auction this was described as:

2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY (1968)!

*A RARE BEAUTY - THE FINEST SPACE HELMET EVER CRAFTED!

*THIS LOT IS FOR A VINTAGE AND ORIGINAL, PRODUCTION-MADE (NOT LATER PRODUCED), FIBERGLASS HELMET CASTING - THIS HELMET WOULD HAVE GONE FARTHER IN THE PRODUCTION PROCESS, BUT WAS NOT FINISHED FOR ONE REASON OR ANOTHER - NOTE THE PRODUCTION MARKINGS INSIDE HELMET / THESE WERE PERHAPS MARKINGS FOR THE EVENTUAL ADDING OF INTERIOR PADDING AND PARTS - A GREAT PIECE - BEAUTIFUL DESIGN!

*THIS HELMET CAME ORIGINALLY FROM GREG JEIN, WHO MADE THE HELMETS FOR 2010 - THIS HELMET HAS HAD THE BACK PANELS ADDED TO THE ORIGINAL CASTING - SO IT IS MORE COMPLETE THAN JUST THE STRAIGHT 2001 PULL WITH THE BLANK BACK - THIS IS WHY THIS HELMET APPEARS SIMILAR TO A CASTING OF THE 2010 HELMET, WHICH HAD THE BACK PANELS MOLDED INTO THE DESIGN - THIS IS A GUARANTEED VINTAGE AND ORIGINAL HELMET FROM 2001 - BID WITH CONFIDENCE AND ENJOY!

*GUARANTEED VINTAGE AND ORIGINAL TO PRODUCTION!

*OVERALL VERY FINE CONDITION!

*COMES WITH COA FROM THE MUSEUM OF MOM AND POP CULTURE!

*REGARDING PROVENANCE: THERE IS A GREAT DEAL OF FAKE MATERIAL IN THE MARKETPLACE – AND WE DO OUR BEST TO THOROUGHLY RESEARCH EACH PIECE WE SELL. WE ALWAYS FULLY DISCLOSE WHAT WE KNOW ABOUT ANY ITEM THAT WE SELL. WE ALSO ISSUE COA’S WHEN WE ARE TOTALLY SURE OF AN ITEM’S PROVENANCE. HAVING BEEN A COLLECTOR OF MOVIE MEMORABILIA SINCE 1957, I WROTE THE FIRST BOOK ON SCI-FI AND HORROR MOVIE POSTERS AND FOUNDED THE ARCHIVES AT 20TH CENTURY FOX, RUNNING THAT DEPARTMENT FOR 10 YEARS AND CURATING THE FIRST FOX MUSEUM IN SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA. I DON’T KNOW EVERYTHING ABOUT PROPS, WARDROBE, AND PRODUCTION ART – NO ONE DOES – BUT WHEN YOU BUY FROM ME AND THE MUSEUM OF MOM AND POP CULTURE, WE GUARANTEE THE MATERIAL WE SELL TO BE AUTHENTIC, VINTAGE AND AS DESCRIBED. BID WITH CONFIDENCE AND ENJOY!

I was asked to evaluate this helmet. It's fantastic.

I believe the seller on eBay only posted what they were told by the owner, and that the owner may very well believe this is what he had.

I do not believe this to be true. This piece is one piece, no shell with things added. It is all one piece. The seam runs up the back on top of the "packs". The "packs" are not added to this shell at all, just part of the casting. How could the seam on a 2001 made helmet be over the "packs" if they were added as described in the auction?

Seam1.jpg

The packs do not match the excellent pics I have that were taken during production of 2010.

Number2.jpg

The packs on the helmet are 2001 style.

I can see how the "packs" could have come from Greg, maybe castings of a 2001 pack he may have had, but they are not 2010 "packs" to be sure.

2010 Pack
Pack1.jpg

eBay Helmet Pack
Pack2.jpg

2001 Pack
Pack3.jpg

If some one can explain to me how this could possibly be as described in the auction, I'd love to hear it. Because if true we have here a 1st generation 2001 helmet with 2nd Generation "packs". Which would ROCK.

Worse case scenario this becomes a third generation 2001 helmet and a second generation 2010 helmet again with 2001 style "packs". Still very cool.

The buyer of this helmet questioned the seller with these concerns but they held fast that it was as described. And although we did not believe it to be true kept this casting as it still clearly has lineage to originals, which was still worth what was paid for the helmet.

I think the Seller and Owner (they weren't the same person) believe what they were probably told.

So here's the deal.

I want to do a run.

If it's what was claimed, it's studio made, okay for doing a run.

If it's a casting made after the fact, basically an attempt to turn a 2010 made shell into a 2001 helmet by adding 2001 "packs" that may or may not be cast off originals, then molded, resulting in the eBay helmet, then it's sort of recasting. Although we don't know who did that work and made that mold.

Please prove me wrong. I am not trying to call anyone on the carpet here, I just want to understand what I have in hand.

Last edited:
If this proves to be a first generation 2001 original, I will kick myself for years to come. I passed on this helmet, not once, but twice.... I had the same nagging suspicions as the first buyer who backed out, and stayed away on the second offering.

Truly, I do hope for the new owner's sake that this is "the holy grail". I personally would love one of these, if offered.

Mic, all the best in this project and in your search for the provenance.

Mike.

In 2001 the packs are supposed to be removable computer modules, all rectangular and all interchangeable.

For 2010, this idea was lost, and the "packs" became just a design element. The bottom edge of the row of packs curved to match the bottom line of the visor. So the extreme outside packs are not the same size or shape as the inside ones.

2001helmetcomputerpacks.jpg

ebaycasting.jpg

Supposedly original 2001 helmet

whitehelmet.jpg

The same is true of the Discovery helmets.

bowmanroomflop03.jpg

The packs are all rectangular, the bottom edge goes straight across.

bowmanroom10.jpg

bowmansuitback1.jpg

Last edited:
Another data point: the Museum of Mom and Pop Culture had what they were saying was a fiberglass pull of the 2001 backpack a couple months ago that was obviously the IBM backpack Modern Effects did, FWIW.

Ah yes, those IBM suits... close but oh so wrong. :lol

(yes I know the propmakers knew better but were prevented from making more accurate copies...:unsure)

38374223.jpg

17145552.jpg

I'm 95% sure this is a 2010 helmet pull. This appears to be the “same helmet” that Global Effects got to create replicas for the IBM commercials. (And yes, as stated they knew better, but needed to change elements for copyright issues at the last minute, because no one at the ad agency got clearance, also, these replicas where built in 18 days.)
I have looked at both the red helmet and the white helmet first hand and in detail (handled both) and this is why I’m sure it is a 2010 helmet pull. Many things do not match. including the modules on the back.
And yes, the backpack listed on ebay recently, was a intact copy of the GEI replica. (For the IBM commercial, the "thrusters" on the bottom of the backpack were cut off to change the look)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm 95% sure this is a 2010 helmet pull. This appears to be the “same helmet” that Global Effects got to create replicas for the IBM commercials. (And yes, as stated they knew better, but needed to change elements for copyright issues at the last minute, because no one at the ad agency got clearance, also, these replicas where built in 18 days.)
I have looked at both the red helmet and the white helmet first hand and in detail (handled both) and this is why I’m sure it is a 2010 helmet pull. Many things do not match. including the modules on the back.
And yes, the backpack listed on ebay recently, was a intact copy of the GEI replica. (For the IBM commercial, the "thrusters" on the bottom of the backpack were cut off to change the look)

So the question is, "where did the 2010 helmet come from?"

BrianM

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back