Tarfful WIP Finished Costume On PAGE 3

Darth Serberus

I've been plodding away at this costume since last October. Rarely getting the chance to work on it between other projects but lately had a bit of a push on it.
Being inspired by the likes of Dougiefett's 'best ever' Chewie, Nitroopers sterling work on Merumeru and more recently Torment's awesome Tarfful.
This is my first foray over to the light side with costumes and totally out of my comfort zone... namely HAIR and lots of it.
Therefore I have been easing myself in gently and leaving the hair till later in the build.
I first started on a head sculpt to make the skin, under skull and teeth.
DSC04035.jpg

The underskull is fiberglass with an articulated jaw.
DSC04275.jpg

The teeth are dental acrylic and the gums a dental monymer.
DSC04277.jpg

The skin is a latex and foam hybrid. Soft enough to take the jaw articulation and lip curl yet strong enough to take the weight of all that hair.
DSC04295.jpg

This solution came from making the first skin in silicone and it weighing a ton!
DSC04163.jpg

I may well do a better, lighter silicone version later on too.

The feet/stilts have been fun to work on, although I made a supremely stupid mistake early on.
I bought some plasters stilts off Ebay. After trying them on I decided they were just too tall and not strong enough to hold my weight (255lbs) plus that of the costume and accessories. So I chopped them down added a new strengthening spar and uprated the springs. This left the stilts at around 14".
DSC04206.jpg

I did a rough sketch on photoshop to see if the stilts would work in proportion. The red outline is my image on the stilts underneath the sketch.
TarffulConcept.jpg

When I was happy with the stilts I sculpted a symmetrical wookie foot around it. Now this is where the almighty mess up happened.
Can you spot the mistake?
DSC04252.jpg

Unfortunately it was already in the mould when I realised. That'll teach me to be lazy and not have the reference pics at hand when sculpting!
So I had to resculpt the front and add a toe.
When the mould was done I skinned up the inside of the mould with many layers of latex, a tough fabric and stretch panels. To the base of the stilt I added a section of rubber door mat. Then the stilt was dropped into the mould and filled with soft expanding polyurethane foam.
DSC04266.jpg

Pulled these out of the mould and made a quick test video of them yesterday.
YouTube - Wookie Feet Test.
I've made a start on some extended fingered gloves to help the proportion.
I still have to make a mannequin before I start on the muscle suit and the dreaded HAIR!!!!!!:wacko

Last edited:
Re: Tarfful WIP

Alot of work involved for sure. You certainly have done a great job, and you were able to fix a pretty big mistake...where many of us would have thrown the piece out in frustration!

Fantastic work so far, and like MooCricket said, having to redo the feet would've weeded a lot of people out. Love the stilts vid as well.:thumbsup

I've been plodding away at this costume since last October. Rarely getting the chance to work on it between other projects but lately had a bit of a push on it.
Being inspired by the likes of Dougiefett's 'best ever' Chewie, Nitroopers sterling work on Merumeru and more recently Torment's awesome Tarfful.
This is my first foray over to the light side with costumes and totally out of my comfort zone... namely HAIR and lots of it.
Therefore I have been easing myself in gently and leaving the hair till later in the build.
I first started on a head sculpt to make the skin, under skull and teeth.
DSC04035.jpg

The underskull is fiberglass with an articulated jaw.
DSC04275.jpg

The teeth are dental acrylic and the gums a dental monymer.
DSC04277.jpg

The skin is a latex and foam hybrid. Soft enough to take the jaw articulation and lip curl yet strong enough to take the weight of all that hair.
DSC04295.jpg

This solution came from making the first skin in silicone and it weighing a ton!
DSC04163.jpg

I may well do a better, lighter silicone version later on too.

The feet/stilts have been fun to work on, although I made a supremely stupid mistake early on.
I bought some plasters stilts off Ebay. After trying them on I decided they were just too tall and not strong enough to hold my weight (255lbs) plus that of the costume and accessories. So I chopped them down added a new strengthening spar and uprated the springs. This left the stilts at around 14".
DSC04206.jpg

I did a rough sketch on photoshop to see if the stilts would work in proportion. The red outline is my image on the stilts underneath the sketch.
TarffulConcept.jpg

When I was happy with the stilts I sculpted a symmetrical wookie foot around it. Now this is where the almighty mess up happened.
Can you spot the mistake?
DSC04252.jpg

Unfortunately it was already in the mould when I realised. That'll teach me to be lazy and not have the reference pics at hand when sculpting!
So I had to resculpt the front and add a toe.
When the mould was done I skinned up the inside of the mould with many layers of latex, a tough fabric and stretch panels. To the base of the stilt I added a section of rubber door mat. Then the stilt was dropped into the mould and filled with soft expanding polyurethane foam.
DSC04266.jpg

Pulled these out of the mould and made a quick test video of them yesterday.
YouTube - Wookie Feet Test.
I've made a start on some extended fingered gloves to help the proportion.
I still have to make a mannequin before I start on the muscle suit and the dreaded HAIR!!!!!!:wacko

Very nice job

love it.. would love to know how you did the mold for the feet.. dumb question but is the wip on becoming a wookie the best set of instructions for making a wookie costume or is there a better set out there as the first week in November my friend was going to do cast my head so i could start to make my Tarfful head

great work man....my wook doesnt come close to the talent you guys put into it. The hair is going to be fun man but you can get thru it. subsribed:)

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back