Slush Casting -- Resin Ball Formed by Accident!

Skaught

Sr Member
Has this ever happened to anyone? I was slush casting (hand rotocasting) an IG-88 head last night. I started hearing an odd thumping sound. Once the resin was cured enough, I opened the end and found a big ballish shape of resin rolling around. I assume this happened due to too much resin being used combined with my slow rotation, resulting in clumps sticking together and coming loose.

The "ball" looks like a crazy meterorite, so I think I'll keep it. I finished off the head with more resin. Looks like I'm back to doing two smaller batches per head, as I can't rotate it fast enough (long enough) to keep it in place. Anyway, kind of interesting results. I couldn't have made a ball that looked like that if I tried.

Scott

Yeah, clumping is a common enough issue with hand roto casting, but I've never seen one seperate like that.

The bigger issue you need to keep an eye on is that roto casting resins don't tend to like to stick to themselves very well and can often delaminate. The trick is to use a small enough batch on your first run to avoid clumping, yet big enough that it thouroughly coats the entire surface with a good thickness. So long as the entire surface is covered by the first coat it won't matter if the other layers are bonded to it. You will have enough mechanical lock to ensure adhesion. It's when you have voids on the surface that delamination will become an issue.

Smooth-On 300.

When I do a second coat, it's while the first is still curing, so I think it bonds fairly well. I've never had a problem with laminating.

Scott

Ah yes, the very rare X-wing "Giant Suction Cup" attachment. I always wondered why Lucas never added this to any of the special editions, the final battle just makes so much more sense this way.

xwing.jpg

Smooth Cast 300 sticks to itself just fine. Since you were roto casting, I thought you were using the Roto-Cast resin.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back