"Return of the Living Dead 2" Zombie Barrel Build (UPDATE 11-28-10) w/ VIDEO

Rusty85

Sr Member
Just wondering if anyone has ever done the barrels that the Zombie's are contained in, in "Return of the Living Dead." I noticed that the second movie has a key panel on the front, while the first movie doesn't. Someone on another board made an awesome one, but never posted a tutorial for it.

Anyone here ever attempt one?

Last edited:
Re: Return of the Living Dead Zombie Barrels?

Well as far as the first "Return" movie, it actually looks like plastic 55 gallon drums. If you look at a metal 55 gallon drum, you can see the ribs on the side, for durabillity, for rolling on it's side. They also have a certain lip to the top edge. The plastic style, on the other hand, have a different look to them, they have more of a rounded taper towards the top. I don't know where you can get the plastic style, or if they still make them.
I know there were certain elements to the film that they had to do quickly, so there is probly very little thuoght and alot of simplicity to the design of the hinged top...well that's my thoughts, I could be wrong!

Last edited:

Yeah, that's true. I might re-watch them with the commentary to see if they drop any clues about the construction of them. I can't really remember what they look like in the 3rd movie though.

Yeah, that's true. I might re-watch them with the commentary to see if they drop any clues about the construction of them. I can't really remember what they look like in the 3rd movie though.

They are hardly mentioned in the commentary. No talk of the construction of them.

Oh well. They look just like the 55 gallon drums. So I guess I've got to get looking.

Re: Return of the Living Dead Zombie Barrel Build

Well, here's the barrel I'm currently working on. For some reason I can't seem to find any 55 gallon barrels with removable lids here with the pour spouts built in, only without. So I bought one I found that has them, and then chopped off the top with a saw. I also drew the viewing window on the top and then cut that out too.

Since I'm going to place a panel over the hole that has the bolts that hold the plexi-glass, I drew the hole extra wide so it could be made accordingly.

Here's a few shots of it so far. Next, I'm going to sand the edges, draw the top cover template to saw from MDF, and then sand the whole thing.

A guy who built a really cool one on the Halloween board said that I'd need a special type of plastic primer. Apparently he had a hell of a time getting the paint to stick to the barrel, which isn't hard to imagine.

Oh, and does anyone know if the Tarman head and hands are still available?

This was also the only barrel I found that had a special ring around the edge (my guess is for grip) that had a design somewhat similar to the movie.

I'm planning on doing this in the style of the second movie with the key-panel, and the modified top lid with the knob at the center.

Two questions though. Firstly, there's two stickers in the films. In the first movie there's a white one on the bottom of the barrel. Pretty sure its a triangle. The second is above the key-panel in part two. Can't read either of them though. I think the second says something like instructions for the key-panel.

Is there someone who could figure out what they say? I think the first is on Blueray now.

Attachments

• Barrel top removed.JPG
    Barrel top removed.JPG
    128.5 KB · Views: 1,429

I've sculpted the tar-zombie, as seen through the window of the barrel. I had planned to do the complete barrel until I worked out the size, and realised I'd have nowhere to put it. I now plan to do just the top with the window as a wall-mounted display.

Looking forward to seeing your completed barrel!

Sweet! Do you offer casts? I saw a bust but its a little pricey for me. I've got a little more done today. Traced the panel that's going to have the plexi-glass, and did some sanding. I tried for about 20min to get the ring back on top but almost killed myself doing it. So now its still off, I got too frustrated and thought I'd better stop before I get mad and throw it at something, lol.

Sweet! Do you offer casts? I saw a bust but its a little pricey for me. I've got a little more done today. Traced the panel that's going to have the plexi-glass, and did some sanding. I tried for about 20min to get the ring back on top but almost killed myself doing it. So now its still off, I got too frustrated and thought I'd better stop before I get mad and throw it at something, lol.

I haven't got round to casting it yet. I just have my sculpt. I might consider a limited run if there's any interest - not sure there's much demand!

The barrel is looking sweet already!

I have a 1st generation cast taken from the original Alterian Studios movie mold and I've always been meaning to do the top of the barrel to make it into a full wall display piece.

norm-4856747d18b5d-Return+of+the+Living+Dead+%281985%29.jpeg

How much did the barrel cost you? I'd be loathed to pay too much and then have to throw 80% away!

What a cool and creepy project!

dzz0hw.jpg

Now what we need is 1:1 Julie to go with the barrel.

2mry5hw.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Well, I called a few places first. The first barrel I got was a closed lid, and cost 10 bucks. It was from a place called Interstate Oil Company. I think they said it had car washing liquid in it.

The second was the one I decided to use, and it cost me about 35. A little more expensive. I know that they sell them used on Craigslist for really cheap, you might want to check there.

Nice Tarman! If they originally just used the head, did they just prop it up in the barrel I wonder, or put it against a black background....

Anyone know where to find a head and hands?

Thanks for the link, but I was actually looking for the head and hands only. That's a great bust, but I didn't really want to spend that much on it.

The barrel is looking sweet already!
I have a 1st generation cast taken from the original Alterian Studios movie mold and I've always been meaning to do the top of the barrel to make it into a full wall display piece.
Wow that would have been handy reference to have seen before I made mine! Nice piece to own, congratulations.

Side note, I have the comic they are reading in the car on the way to the cemetery. If I can find it I will scan it for freebie in the paper prop section.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back