Shipping Blasters from US to Canada?

Is it metal or resin? Take it apart as much as possiple and list it as an unfinished model kit? I've only had unfinished resin kits shipped to men vever had a problem. Hopefully someone with more experience with finished guns can chime in.

Good luck:thumbsup

Thanks for the idea, but unfortunately it is the Master Replicas stormie blaster, and while I could disassemble it, I would prefer not to. I wonder if there is some sort of declaration form I have to fill out at the post office?

I was wondering this kinda thing to get one from canada. I mean its so far out that you can tell it isn't a gun but the pencil pushers at customs aren't known for sense of humors, I mean most folks can tell that blasters aren't real guns.

I was wondering this kinda thing to get one from canada. I mean its so far out that you can tell it isn't a gun but the pencil pushers at customs aren't known for sense of humors, I mean most folks can tell that blasters aren't real guns.

No, they couldn´t.

Most people out there (who are no gun-nuts or SW-fans) would look at a E-11 - and think it´s a machine-gun.

That wouldn´t happen with TOS-Phasers, or other oldschool "Laserpistols", but with everything that´s based on a real gun it would.

Kinda falls into a gray area as accurate firearm replicas are also verboten up here (don't get me started on this silly law...). Since the E-11 is a thinly disguised sub-machine gun, it *may* be subject to seizure...hard to say. You could argue that it's a replica of an "antique" firearm (which is allowed) or a fictional weapon from a movie.

I've imported MR and fan-made E-11s as well as a few airsoft replicas without issue but I do believe that I was lucky. A lot of stores up here (including a few national chains) retailed these things so I wouldn't think there would be an issue as long as you mark it "Model Toy" or something on the Customs Declaration, DO NOT state that it is a "toy gun, blaster" or whatever. In any event, the buyer has to be aware that it could be seized at their own risk...that's how I'd approach it.

As a person who has imported real firearms into Canada (yes, it can be done) in my experience you just have to include documentation inside the parcel for customs to read. They have google at the border, if you include a doc that says "This is a Master Replicas Stormtrooper Blaster prop replica from Star Wars model number XXX. It is not a replica of a real firearm and it can never be made to fire projectiles of any sort."

It'll get through that way. I recently imported an LP53 (James Bond Airgun) and included a note with the model of firearm as well as a web link to the customs website with the part that allows import of airguns with velocities under 400fps quoted.

The one i want is a replica of a gun from the bayonetta game, it actually came with the game in australia. probably if it was till witht the game it would make it okay.

If it helps, I bought a Phaser Rifle from the US and it was shipped to Canada. it looks really rifle-like, but I had no problems with customs. Just be absolutely clear when you fill out the declaration, that's what it's for. You won't have any problems.

The Stormtrooper blaster is a Sterling smg.

Whatever note you want to provide, all the customs official is going to see is a Sterling smg.

I wouldn't expect there to be "no problems whatsoever".

And about orange paint- it doesn't matter. Something painted in bright colours does not exempt it from the replica firearms ban.

Antique replica firearms are only allowable if the weapon was manufactured before 1898 and designed "not" to fire centerfire or rimfire ammunition. In other words black powder muzzle loaders (or earlier weapons) are considered antiques. The 1896 Broomhandle Mauser, although manufactured before 1898 still accepts ammunition that makes it a (banned) replica firearm.

So far the only thing that exempts a device from the replica weapons ban is if the frame/receiver is made of clear plastic.

Good luck with this.

Kevin

The Stormtrooper blaster is a Sterling smg.

Whatever note you want to provide, all the customs official is going to see is a Sterling smg.

I wouldn't expect there to be "no problems whatsoever".

And about orange paint- it doesn't matter. Something painted in bright colours does not exempt it from the replica firearms ban.

Antique replica firearms are only allowable if the weapon was manufactured before 1898 and designed "not" to fire centerfire or rimfire ammunition. In other words black powder muzzle loaders (or earlier weapons) are considered antiques. The 1896 Broomhandle Mauser, although manufactured before 1898 still accepts ammunition that makes it a (banned) replica firearm.

So far the only thing that exempts a device from the replica weapons ban is if the frame/receiver is made of clear plastic.

Good luck with this.

Kevin

True, but the Stormtrooper blaster was designed around the Sterling, it is not a replica Sterling. I can guarantee you that no one at customs knows what a Sterling SMG is or looks like, if you include documentation stating what it ACTUALLY is including any official MR paperwork you have you should be fine. They will open the parcel, think "gun", see your paperwork, look it up, and then let it through. I've imported things much more menacing than this.

The most important part is to NOT under ANY CIRCUMSTANCES lie about the contents on the customs form. If they sense any funny business alarm bells go off. For contents write "Replica Stormtrooper Blaster from Star Wars".

I've had no problems having a MR Stormtrooper, Rebel, or Han Solo blaster come up from the states. But my last purchase of the HCG Pulse Rifle... its still at customs.. so not sure if its a problem yet.

They will open the parcel, think "gun", see your paperwork, look it up, and then let it through.

If the first thought of a Customs officer is "gun" do you honestly think they will just "let it through" because there is paperwork that says "this is not a replica gun"?

Really?

I'm not trying to argue with you just for the sake of arguing- but I'd be interested in hearing exactly what "menacing" pieces you've imported that had an "Inspected By Customs" stamp on the box when it arrived. Because only that "stamp" is undeniable proof that the item in question was permissible. If it just "arrived" having not been opened by Customs then it simply may have been a case of "sliding through" Customs. Not that it was in fact allowable.

So these pieces all closely resembled real firearms? Because that's what we're talking about. Things that are based on real World weapons. Not phaser rifles, Morita rifles, HALO rifles etc.

A Stormtrooper blaster isn't so far removed from a Sterling smg that it no longer looks like a replica firearm. A few greebles and a scope isn't going to exempt it from the replica weapons ban.

I'd also venture a guess that they WILL know it is a Sterling smg (or at least look up the correct designation when they fill out the paperwork). Customs Canada knew EXACTLY what a Thompson 1928 smg was when they seized an airsoft Thompson I tried to import back in 2006.

Let me put it to you this way- a friend of mine called the RCMP to find out once and for all if a Pulse Rifle was considered a replica firearm or not and if it would be allowable for importation (this was over three years ago- long before the HCG PR was in the works).

What he was told is that if the device in question would look to a layman like a real gun, then Customs will seize it.

So my friend, point blank asked "So if I took a piece of toast, cut it into the shape of a gun, and spray painted it black, Customs would seize it?" :wacko

"Yes" was the officer's answer. :rolleyes

Now- on the flipside I've been in a comic shop in downtown Toronto (Silver Snail) and have seen an MR Han Solo blaster for sale and have thought, "How the hell did they get this into the country?"

The problem is this prop is not a cheap $10 toy that won't matter if it gets seized.

But I'll say no more here. Let us know how this turns out.

Don't get me wrong- I don't want the blaster to be seized. I want it to go through based on all the advice given, AND that Customs did look at it, looked at the paperwork, and let it through. I'd be ELATED to hear that it went through without a hitch as I'd like to import a few things myself (but am too paranoid to attempt).

Kevin

A few greebles and a scope isn't going to exempt it from the replica weapons ban.

I have to agree, if it was that simple to get around the import ban, the ban would be useless, just imagine if all you need to do is glue some "windshield wipers"[sic] to the barrel and mount a scope that wasn't designed for that gun, wham you are in the loop hole and it's AOK to import, not... That is like trying to split hairs with an axe...

True, but the Stormtrooper blaster was designed around the Sterling, it is not a replica Sterling.

It's a replica Sterling with a few added parts, after all the ones used in the move were in fact real and still fired just fine, nothing they did to them rendered in non-functional it's all just dress, and it's minimal dress at that...

Yes the MR E-11 varies in a few assembly respects but no more then say most Airsoft guns, and they are banned from import... Regardless of the terms "exactly resemble" is pretty wide open form interpretation since they clearly include Airsoft... Pretty much every aspect of the MR E-11 is designed to exactly resemble the real Sterling, that is except for it's lack of shroud holes...

Replica firearms (prohibited devices)

Replica firearms:

• are designed or intended to exactly resemble a firearm with near precision;
  • include most airsoft guns; and
  • are not reproductions of antique firearms.
Replica firearms are classified as prohibited devices. Individuals cannot import them into Canada.
For additional information regarding prohibited weapons and devices, please consult Memorandum D19-13-2, Importing and Exporting Firearms, Weapons and Devices - Customs Tariff, Criminal Code, Firearms Act, and Export and Import Permits Act, available through the "Publications and forms" link on our Web site at www.cbsa.gc.ca.

And from the linked PDF

(b) it must resemble exactly, or with near precision, a real existing firearm of an identifiable make and model. With respect visual examination, note that the maximum observing distance is one at which the equivalent make and model of the firearm can be identified. This distance will vary from one firearm make to the next. For example: A Luger pistol has a very distinctive silhouette as compared to other makes and is therefore more readily identified from further away. The examination of the object is something more than casual, but less than detailed. The device does not need to be so close that markings are identifiable; and

That better defines what "resemble exactly" means, and it means it's very open to interpretation and absolutley up to what ever they decide basically... The 'silhouette' of the MR E-11 is IMO clearly itentifiable as a Sterling SMG...

My advice it's very risky to try and ship, if it gets inspected or x-rayed and tagged I would guess you going to be pushing a big uphill battle trying to save it from destruction...

Last edited:
I don't think there will be a problem. However, it may get stuck in customs depending on how the border services officer interprets the legislation. Ensure the shipper states that this is either a toy, or a reproduction of a fictional movie prop.

Replica firearms are prohibited, however, only if the replica firearm is "designed or intended to exactly resemble a firearm with near precison".

cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/pub/bsf5044-eng.pdf

If you are still nervous, phone Canadian Border Services at 1-800-461-9999 and ask.

(Have you ever thought about making your own?)

TazMan2000

Replica firearms are prohibited, however, only if the replica firearm is "designed or intended to exactly resemble a firearm with near precison".

May I asked you what part of the MR E-11 you feel doesn't fit that definition? The MR E-11 is simply a Sterling SMG replica with a scope and some plastic ribs on the barrel shroud... Remove the ribs and scope and besides the lack of a few shroud holes it's a near perfect looking Sterling SMG replica!

IMO yeah you might sneak it past and yeah they might let it in after a battle, but I would still say you are playing with fire...

Hmm... this thread worries me a LOT because there's a fair chance I'll be moving to Canada in the coming months. Naturally I'll want to bring the collection with me. The most "real gun" looking thing I have would be the Pulse Rifle... maybe the Jayne LeMat or Inara's gun from Firefly but both of those look fairly spaced up with the greeblies.

I was planning on being completely transparent, carefully documenting everything with photos, explanations and source information and getting some form of pre-approval BEFORE putting them in a container for shipping. (Not taking any chances on losing my Firefly stuff since it's mostly high-value replicas that I have left.) Also, for the past year I've been in the process of setting up an online scifi prop firearm gallery that my collection would be linked to. (It's possible I might even register it as a corporate entity of sorts.)

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back