BBC's Sherlock - Spoilers

kalkamel

Master Member
I heard about this show before it premiered on BBC last month and my first thought was skeptical considering the modern setting. I finally got to watching it over the weekend and I was hooked; breezed through all 3 episodes in one sitting! I have to say it totally blows the Guy Ritchie movie (which I thought was lame) out of the water!

I've seen Benedict Cumberbatch in a few shows prior to this and while I've never been impressed with him before, I just love him as Holmes! I've already been a fan of Martin Freeman since The Office so it was natural for me to like him as Watson. I like the Holmes-Watson interaction which reminded me of House-Wilson (which incidentally is based on the former anyway). The modern setting actually works to the show's advantage; the use of modern tech, while not as flashy as CSI, is more realistic.

The humor is also a very nice addition. Mycroft's intro and his subsequent reveal in A Study in Pink made me chuckle ("Mummy would be upset!"). I had a mixed reaction to the Moriarty reveal at the end of The Great Game though (I always thought he would be older...) but the way the episode ended made me cringe... I wanted more! Hopefully BBC will order more episodes for this show because they've got a gem in their hands.

Anyone else followed it?

Don't worry, more are confirmed to be on the way. :)

I love it. I love how the text messages and Sherlock's clues appear on screen in text. Makes me wonder whether Sherlock has synesthesia. I can't wait for more, I just hope they keep it to 90 minutes and a three or four episode series.

Ooh, I absolutely *loved* this. In fact, it made me go back and dig up the six episodes of Jekyll, also written by Steven Moffat. Fine writing, top notch.

I liked the special effects in Holmes, the floating words and thought processes. He seemed to me to be a bit autistic/savant, and the characters are all played so well. Holmes' appearance grew on me, and I did wish they had delved more into the illegal narcotics aspect of Holmes' character. Remember him freaking out at the room search? I was hoping that would go somewhere.. looking forward to future episodes if it is continued.

Loved it. Some of the smartest tv i have watched in a long long time. I'm psyched they are keeping the 90min format. Give me 6 months of Dr. Who and then 6 months of Sherlock and i would give up all American tv....maybe.:)

My girlfriend turned me onto this show, while I too was skeptical of the modern day setting, I was pleased to say the least at the turn out. Who knows, maybe they will delve into the narcotics use in subsequent episodes. on a props note, lets get to identifying those phones people!! I-phones all around? LOL

On a more serious note, I hope to God (or your preferred deity...if any) that they don't go and make a version of this for American Television. (other than House of course)

I wonder if one of the snipers is or is lead by Col. Sebastian Moran.

I don't doubt it! It'll be great if he appears in future episodes alongside Moriarty.

I just saw the unaired version of the pilot. It's shorter than the aired version (it's only 55 minutes long) and it's basically A Study in Pink but the less flashy version, different actors for some of the characters (Donovan, Watson's friend from Barts, Angelo etc). Very watchable nonetheless.

I just saw the unaired version of the pilot. It's shorter than the aired version (it's only 55 minutes long) and it's basically A Study in Pink but the less flashy version, different actors for some of the characters (Donovan, Watson's friend from Barts, Angelo etc). Very watchable nonetheless.
I saw it last night too... it was good, but I can see why they made they changes they did - the version they reshot for the actual series is better paced, has better performances, and it's a stronger show (IMHO) with the addition of Mycroft and the visual representation of Sherlock's thoughts...

I'm curious, where did you see that?
Well, the series was released on DVD in the UK this week, and this is an extra on it (as well as the upcoming US release)... and there are, um, alternate methods of distribution available out there... :)

Mind you, I'll still be buying the US release as soon as it comes out... :thumbsup

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back