Correct/best color scheme and paint type for an all metal PR

falcon dude

It seems I'm finally going to finish my PR! :cheers
With as soon as I receive the Alu Shrouds from the HCG donor to replace the resin/aluminum ones (Matsuos) that are on it now the Ill be ready to go.
I'm using an aluminum (SD?) Thompson with real bolt, real deact 870, Matsuo stock and 10 hole vent, real spas12 cage, etc. I wanted to build it as a brand new PR, not all weathered, at least at first.

So whats the best way to go about painting this? The shroud is already painted of course but what about the rest?
Whats the correct color scheme? Is there a color scheme that looks even better than the original maybe? Is the SPAS cage supposed to be flat black? semi gloss? the parkerized color it is now? If it is supposed to be painted whats the absolute best way to do it? Powder-coat? Spray paint? And the Thompson? Anodized maybe? what color? The stock and vent I'm assuming are supposed to be either flat black or semi gloss? what about the barrel and all the other parts?

Any insights, ideas and opinions are welcome. I want to get this done right!

I would say it's mostly a matter of personal preference when it comes to paint schemes. The following is depicts one of my own.

img28.jpg

img29.jpg

img30.jpg

I made it a point to utilize different levels/types of blackouts depending on the component to be painted. Satin semi-gloss for the grips. Super light coats of flat over a base coat of gunmetal. Used powder graphite to tint moving components. Liver of sulfur to darken copper parts. Birchwood Casey Perma Blue (liquid gun blue) for the steel parts. B.C. Aluminum Black for the aluminum parts.

Thanks Tom, that PR looks really nice! Used but not abused.
I guess Ill take a look around at other people builds and see what can be done. I'm just building one of these so its gotta get done right.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back