spidermanc

Edit 2:

This is my second version; smaller, lighter, and more accurate:

Video of my second deadmau5 head:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehVeHeTv-g8

CIMG0198.jpg

This is my first replica mau5 head:

40872_1293794823701_1195200559_31404616_5272806_n.jpg

and a short video I threw together of my first replica..

YouTube - Replica Deadmau5 Head

----------------
Original Post:

Hey guys. I'm going to start working on making a Deadmau5 head from scratch.

I plan to start by papier-maching a beachball, then I will resin/fiberglass that to give it extra strength. The only problem I've got is I don't know how I'm going to make the ball as thick as it really is?

If you look around the mouth of the pictures I've attached you'll see it's a good 1/2" thick.

deadmau5.jpg

Deadmau5-6.jpg

Any ideas?

Thanks.

I'll keep you guys updated.

Last edited:
You just need to give the illusion of depth. If you make a sphere the proper size and then cut out the appropriate piece, you just need to add a .5-.75" inner lip (Literally and figuratively) and then attach a smaller section of sphere that fits into the mouth.

That way they entire mask stays very thin and light.

Good luck, this is a project I've wanted to tackle for a bit now.

-Nick

You just need to give the illusion of depth. If you make a sphere the proper size and then cut out the appropriate piece, you just need to add a .5-.75" inner lip (Literally and figuratively) and then attach a smaller section of sphere that fits into the mouth.

That way they entire mask stays very thin and light.

Good luck, this is a project I've wanted to tackle for a bit now.

-Nick

I gotcha. That's a good idea.
What do you suppose would be a good material for the mouth? I'm thinking mesh covered with a layer of gray lycra on top and firm curved supports behind it going vertically so that it doesn't bend in?

My biggest decision right now is whether I want to make it red or purple :p

My personal thought was to vacuform a piece of clear plastic to shape, then stretch a meshy stretch fabric over that, glueing it only around the edges to prevent obstructing your view.

In fact, I'd be tempted to vacuform the entire thing in two hemispheres (a front - the part with the face- and a back) to keep weight down.

There must be some information out there somewhere about the originals (I've never looked for it, but I can't imagine there'd be a complete void of information regarding the construction).

-Nick

i dont even think its plastic but some type of thick foam. the weight of a helmet that big in fiberglass would be way to heavy much less wearable for any length of time

I believe the ears themselves are just foam filled shapes. The entire head screams mascot head to me, shouldn't bee too complicated.

Wow! My clear plastic hemispheres idea is actually the same one used to make the real deal. Cool. The only difference between what I would have done and what they did is that they split their hemispheres into top and bottom, and I would have split mine front and back.

Awesome resources, Toby. Thanks! I've got them bookmarked for when I eventually get around to this project.

-Nick

And photo nr 14 shows that the mouth is in fact a screen fabric because you can see the background thru the mesh

Check my projects link for my deadmau5 head builds.

The first one was rushed for a recent concert and had some obvious inaccuracies. I'm about a week out from finishing the v2.0.

The heads have changed shape and size over the years. His newest helmet has lips that are closer to 1/4" deep.

I tried the first link again, looks like they're down atm. This was the start of the set of pics (just not working right now), just try it again later.
Deadmau5: Making of the Mau5head, October 7th, 2008 in Photos on inthemix.com.au

The pictures clearly show that the base of the head is a clear globe, just like the tutorial used.

The link is down for me, but I'm fairly sure I know what photo set this is. There is a picture of a drawing with dimensions - beware, these dimensions are inaccurate.

There are several hundred concert photos you can use for reference at ..::Rukes.com::..

The link is down for me, but I'm fairly sure I know what photo set this is. There is a picture of a drawing with dimensions - beware, these dimensions are inaccurate.

Actually if I remember correctly, it was construction photos of one of the actual masks. No dimensions, just hard core mouse-head goodness.

-Nick

Actually if I remember correctly, it was construction photos of one of the actual masks. No dimensions, just hard core mouse-head goodness.

-Nick

the set I'm talking about includes a zoom-in on a blueprint with pencil-written dimensions. I've only seen the one photo set of the actual construction, and it is the original mask. The dimensions are incorrect for even that mask, and the newer ones are different themselves.

Check my projects link for my deadmau5 head builds.

The first one was rushed for a recent concert and had some obvious inaccuracies. I'm about a week out from finishing the v2.0.

The heads have changed shape and size over the years. His newest helmet has lips that are closer to 1/4" deep.

What are you using for your inner lips?

thank you for posting the links for the how to. My girlfriends sister wants one for the concert were going to at the Tabernackle in Atlanta in october. This will be a great help!

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back