Authentic Screen used Lost in Space pistol?

Robot

lispistol.jpg
Does anyone know what the value of an authentic Lost in Space pistol would be? I know of one that is for sale, is it possible that one would be for sale and legitimate?

Last edited:
Ok, here is a better pic, and a quote from the seller:

To clarify, LIS had 2 versions of the laser pistol. One version was for close-ups. These guns had plastic hollow nozzles that would light when they pulled the trigger so the special effects folks knew where to put the effect in. The other version, the gun I have, has a solid red wood tip at the end. These guns were used as stunt guns. Pulling out of holsters. Dropping on the sand. And in the case of the episode,"One of our dogs is missing," having a dog take the gun out of the holster and run away with it.

lis2.jpg

It looks different from John Azarian's that he claims was used in the One of our dogs is missing episodes. The red end piece on this one appears solid while John Azarian's has a ridge you can see at The Azarian Collection's Photos - Lost In Space tv | Facebook
It doesen't mean there were no variations. But its something to be aware of.
I once asked John Azarian about a rubber stunt Lost in space pistol asking if such were used and he would not comment so don't expect any help just comparing pictures with ones more likely to be authentic. I think the lost in space pistol Profiles in History sold years back was originally from the owner of Icons replicas, which also raised red flags to me. So to me they are very hard to verify. just being a modified toy, cast piece with wooden ends, or rubber cast piece does not guarantee its a screen used original. I would look for a picture of the Profiles in history one from years back also for visual reference.

In Profiles in History Auction 28 a hero Lost in space gun sold for 80,000 plus buyers premium I think, not sure if that with or without.
Camdens Auction failed to rearch reserve on a lost in space season one without site, auction estimate in 94 was 2000 to 3000. Can't verify if that was was authentic though. Might have my auction catalog somewhere though.

I forget which profiles auction sold another LIS laser pistol.

Last edited:
I think the toy this is originally based on had three distinct sections in the tip a big section and two other smaller sections like a kaledoscope. I imagine guns cast off this would have the same effect in the show. John Azarian's stunt gun seems to have this too with the back section of the barrel tip painted black. It also seems that a lot of guns did not have sites in the show, and those that did often had them break off. In an old thread at http://www.therpf.com/f9/lost-space-lasers-props-etc-35202/ you can see some screen shots of a nearly bare gun with no sites at all.
So the presences of the sites on a "stunt gun" would be rare I would imagine. The wood tip could be a replacement tip added after the show though, or used like that as they broke off or for some stunt guns, its hard to say. But solid barrel tips without the three ridged areas are very commonly found on replicas too.

Firstmark,
Thanks for all the info. As soon as I post these new pic's I'm headed to the links you provided.
These are better close ups.
LISGunCU1.jpg

LISGunRedNoz.jpg

The tip on this gun is solid for sure, but take a look at all the other solid (I assume stunt guns) in the screen grab
OOODM-laserpile.jpg

OOODM-laserpile2.jpg

Wish i could help with authenticating... but do know the buyer of the laser rifle and pistol if you want to contact that person.

Wish i could help with authenticating... but do know the buyer of the laser rifle and pistol if you want to contact that person.
I am going to see the gun this week and meet him (time permiting). I'll take my camera for detailed pic's and get all the info I can.

Hey Robot,

In a way I am extremely happy for you that you may have this opportunity, and on the otherhand, I know exactly how stressful, time consuming, and nervewracking this process is. Your worries put you right in the center of a fork in the road, either you pay tons of money for a fake, or let go the genuine article for differences that are negligable or unintentional by the original prop team!

I also can appreciate the advice of the others in the thread. There are a lot of fakes out there, so we HAVE to stick together as a community if we have any chance of keeping our hobby a positive experience.

Can't help you with the pistol, but I am glad it seems you are asking the right questions. Good luck.

Some pics from my files

ktremcowithlight.jpg

Will with the working hero prop with lights

ooodmwilllaser.jpg

ooodmjrlaserfiregt5.jpg

ooodmherolaserflatxj1.jpg

The first season laser rifle was made from another Remco toy (this one was called the Chariot rifle because it seemed to be stored in that vehicle)

ktokriflerightside.jpg

Viva los robotos!

rifle1.jpg

pistol1l.jpg

Here Maureen's pistol is lacking EVERYTHING except the oval oil-tank shaped battery pack on top...

pistol2.jpg

Last edited:
Again, glad to help compare with the originals, both from Profiles.

I can't see the value in this comparison. Sort of like comparing an apple to an orange to see if the apple is real.

What's with the elongated back? It doesn't match any of the screencaps? Can anyone post a screencap or photo that shows a back end like this?

Chris

Last edited:
Well guy's, thanks for all the input. My wife seemed to sniff out the idea of me spending $3k on this thing and it just seems to not be the right time. I can not say I am an expert on authenticating this thing but it does feel right to me (for what it's worth). I asked him why he was selling this and all of his other LIS memorabilia and he told me he was starting a new business and needed the capital. We are in one of the worst foreclosure markets in the nation and I actually believe his financial issues are deeper than stated.

As far as the gun is concerned, here is part of an e-mail he sent me.

In the meantime, Robert Vanderpool is probably the largest collector of Lost in Space collectibles, and an expert on the show. You should check out his web site. You can find it at UncleOdiesCollectibles.com. The easiest way is to google "Lost in Space props." His web site will appear at the top and will automatically go to his "prop" category. (He has like 8 categories). Once you get that page up go to page 4 or 5 and scroll down half way. You will see 2 authentic LIS laser prop pistols on the far right hand side. He'll have 2 examples of real laser pistols used on the show. The first one talks about the difference between the close up and the stunt pistols and if memory serves me right, it has a price tag of $8,000. The pistol I'm selling is the 2nd example. Robert was kind enuf to put my gun on his site along with an abbreviated version of how I got the gun.
To clarify, LIS had 2 versions of the laser pistol. One version was for close-ups. These guns had plastic hollow nozzles that would light when they pulled the trigger so the special effects folks knew where to put the effect in. The other version, the gun I have, has a solid red wood tip at the end. These guns were used as stunt guns. Pulling out of holsters. Dropping on the sand. And in the case of the episode,"One of our dogs is missing," having a dog take the gun out of the holster and run away with it.

If anyone is interested in this gun, send me a PM and I can put you in touch with him, since I don't seem to be in the running anymore.

If you go back thru the 1990's and early 2000's auction catalogues like Profiles and Christies there have been so many LIS guns sold that there couldnt possibly be so many used on the show...

Provenance is key on something like that every time.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back