Triangle Arc Reactor - Iron Man 2

Whit

I am in the process of making an arc reactor for my son. It's based off the latest arc reactor from Iron Man 2;the triangular center version. I've created a detailed model of it, but am making a pretty simple version for my son. I'll post some pics of it in progress soon.

Hoping to see some progress pics of it soon. I love all the fan made arc reactors on this forum. It wasn't why I original joined, but when I saw "arc reactor contest" it was like finding diamonds in a pile of gold. Very impressed with what I've seen around here and can't wait to see a triangle reactor. I take it that it'll be lit up as well?

Well,

Here are the images. Keep in mind this is for my son....he's 2, but he likes Iron Man. This is for Halloween. Not sure what else I'm going to do for his costume, but this is a start.

I'm working on a much more detailed version for myself and it will be as close to size as I can find from my research.

Anyway, this arc is made from a 2" in diameter tin I found at work. It is just over 5/8" in thickness. I had a friend cut out the center and then I sanded and filed down the edges.

I use my template for the larger arc as a guide and traced it out with marker on some shrinking craft plastic...generic shrinky dinks. Baked the disk and sanded down the edges to fit the tin and sanded the back side of the disk to give it a frosted glass effect.

That is it so far...need to light it and I may go over the main triangle lines in silver, but haven't decided.

Again, this is for a two-year-old. When I get the chance I will make a much more detailed version for myself. I'll maybe even post an image of my more detailed drawing. I've got it modeled up using some CAD software as well, so I could post a screen grab of that also.

Last edited:
Wow! Love the Idea. A few LED's and that thing will look movie accurate in a heartbeat. What did you use for the casing and then the design for the triangle looking bit?

Wow! Love the Idea. A few LED's and that thing will look movie accurate in a heartbeat. What did you use for the casing and then the design for the triangle looking bit?

Thanks for all the comments so far! I just found a little tin at work. it used to hold round aluminum samples that had different finishes and designs on them.

For the triangle design, I used the toy that's for sale at Target and Walmart. One of the forum members, Nexnox, said the toy is pretty accurate, so I used that as my guide. I'll post a screen grab of my more detailed CAD model I made sometime soon.

As an aside, has anyone seen the triangle shaped toy reactor?

I found one at a Toys R Us, and have never seen another. A quick image search doesn't show one either.

I can post pics if wanted.

Re: Triangle Arc Reactor - Iron Man 2 - Updated 8-9-10

Sorry it's been a while, but I do have some updated pics. Please note this is for a 2-1/2 year old, so it's not perfect by any means. Not sure when I am going to get one done for me. Busy trying to figure out the rest of my son's costume and my Thor costume.

This is my first time working with LEDs, so I kept it very simple. I have a piece of plastic that separates the contact and the battery. I remove that, place the light unit in the tin, close the lid and the light turns on. I wish I had a bit more space, because I wanted to disperse the light more, but my son loves it, so I'm going to keep it as is for now.

I may try to make another one or modify this one after Halloween. I wanted to have a switch on the side, but I messed it up, so I'll have to try again sometime.

Let me know what you think.

Very well done in deed. I was considering taking a leaf out of your book to create the Mark III Arc Reactor which is the one he uses throughout Ironman 2 until it's replaced by the triangle Arc (or Mark IV Arc). I had the idea of using a regular sized Tap light (which ironically enough is about the same size as the actual prop) and switching out the lights inside it with Blue LED's and then just placing some masking tape over certain areas and then spray paint the semi clear casing silver. Then peel off the tape to reveal the places where the light will shine through and ta-da!

Very well done in deed. I was considering taking a leaf out of your book to create the Mark III Arc Reactor which is the one he uses throughout Ironman 2 until it's replaced by the triangle Arc (or Mark IV Arc). I had the idea of using a regular sized Tap light (which ironically enough is about the same size as the actual prop) and switching out the lights inside it with Blue LED's and then just placing some masking tape over certain areas and then spray paint the semi clear casing silver. Then peel off the tape to reveal the places where the light will shine through and ta-da!

Sounds good to me. I say go for it.....and post pics.:thumbsup

i picked up a tap light from wal-mart the other day for 6 bucks and it was the perfect size. pics are on my thread for my iron man build

Wow. That is so cool! Wish I had thought of that and not go nuts with the toy like what I did below. The soldering was crazy.

http://chowfookcheong.com/IM II Arc Toy/Arc 001.htm

Well, I don't have the technical knowledge with LEDs to modify the toy like you did. Pretty awesome!

I do plan on making a big one for myself, but more detailed, like the toy. I think I've got my drawing to where I want it. Now I just need to model it and get it made....May need some advice on lighting it.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back