Pennywise costume from Stephen King's It

Re: Pennywise Halloween costume

Your PC should have a DVD ROM as a standard part of your CD disk drive. Just pop it in and the computer should recognize it. The first time you're using it, it may ask you to set the region. So you have to set the region to where you are. Once you do that, it will play. Then you just go to scenes you want and hit your screen print button. Then copy and past the image into a picture program. Ta-da! You have a screencap.

Well the costume arrived :)..its very good aswell..Its pretty much spot on..the neck ruffle is huge though..gonna have to cut it down a bit and get some velcro on it..Also the waistcoat has purple edging around it and not red and is made of black sequence type material..the one in the movie appears to ne a floral or paisley material.. the ruffles around the ankles have two black strips wound but the miovie has a red and blue stripe going round..the main body is a yellow felt like fabric and very warm..apart from that is awesome!! Ill get some pictures taken and posted sometime of all the details..heres a quick shot of me wearing it..without makeup etc :)

41101_462246883452_577373452_6421500_2850807_n.jpg

oh and as for the shoes..he wore blck plimsoles in the film (like ballet shoes) not actual clown shoes :)

It looks nice. I'm not sure that's the same one I referred to, because the vest fabric on the one I saw was described as a velour or pile fabric. In screen shots, it does look like it should have some kind of design. I thought the edging around the movie version looked to be magenta or purple, as opposed to the red described in the auction I was talking about. I agree that the stripes on the ankle ruffles should be two different colors though. Either you got a different suit or the seller made multiples with a few variations. Thanks for the pics!

I was also wondering if the suit you got opens in the front. In pictures, Pennywise always looks like he has a black zipper or something else that creates a dark line going up the front. How are your pompoms attached?

oh and as for the shoes..he wore blck plimsoles in the film (like ballet shoes) not actual clown shoes :)

How'd you know that? Where do I get these? Should I buy them in my actual size or a little larger and stuff them? (I have fairly small feet and want to make sure they don't look too bad in the suit.)

How'd you know that? Where do I get these? Should I buy them in my actual size or a little larger and stuff them? (I have fairly small feet and want to make sure they don't look too bad in the suit.)

Theres a Bit in the movie where pennywise turns into a rotweiler dog and attacks a guard..Just before this happens you get a clear shot of his feet.. My suit has Velcro on the back..and the pom poms are sewn on..oh and the movie version of the waistcoat has definately got a red edging.. Im normally a perfectionist when it comes to costumes etc..but im happy with what i have at the minute and really cant be bothered to change the sligh imperpections..to be honest i doubt many people would even have a clue what colour suit pennywise wore in the movie..I think its all about the make up which makes this character :)

Theres a Bit in the movie where pennywise turns into a rotweiler dog and attacks a guard..Just before this happens you get a clear shot of his feet.. My suit has Velcro on the back..and the pom poms are sewn on..oh and the movie version of the waistcoat has definately got a red edging.. Im normally a perfectionist when it comes to costumes etc..but im happy with what i have at the minute and really cant be bothered to change the sligh imperpections..to be honest i doubt many people would even have a clue what colour suit pennywise wore in the movie..I think its all about the make up which makes this character :)

I wasn't picking on your suit, please don't think that. It's still obviously Pennywise. But since I'm making mine from scratch, I'll be making the details as accurate as possible. And some of the differences I mentioned were between yours and another I saw on eBay.
I'm going to have to pick up the DVD and do some screencaps, thanks for the heads up on the shoes. I almost bought a pair of vinyl clown shoes, because I assumed that's what he wore, and I haven't found many clear shots of his feet.
If I don't see a wig I like, I'm probably going to use red faux fur. I still need to find a good place to buy/order scar/mortician's wax. I'm pretty sure that's what's used to smooth out the eyebrows before covering them with clown white and drawing the black eyebrows higher up.

Well, I found an old container of clown white as well as a red one that I didn't use much. Is there an expiration date on makeup? For what I'll be needing this for(Halloween and maybe a convention), will the stuff they sell at Spirit Halloween stores be good enough? I saw someone post in another thread that cornstarch works great as a powder to top-coat even cheap clown white. I saw that the same seasonal chain also carries small jars of scar wax by Don Post. I should only need this to smooth out my eyebrows, but has anyone had any bad experiences with their products that I should know about? The markings on Pennywise's eyelids and under his eyes have that bluish look, so I'm planning to use plain old black eyeliner pencil. But his drawn-on eyebrows are much darker and sharper. I know you can buy black greasepaint and use a brush, but I think I'm going to use liquid eyeliner for those, as it might be a more solid black and more precise to draw with.
Also, going by the pictures I've found, it looks like the zipper for the suit actually goes down the front - there is a black line visible in the front. I can't think of anything else that would be.
Pennywise_the_clown.jpg

When I do a search for plimsolls(the spelling that Google gives me), I get a lot of stuff about cheapo sneakers. Can someone please provide a little more info about what these look like?

^^That tutorial is pretty much the same way I was taught to cover eyebrows with the wax, except that there was no clear sealant to put on top.
I used to have a huge Ben Nye makeup kit from a college class I took, but it was ruined when the tenant above us in our old apartment had a leak in his bathroom that drained right into our bathroom closet. I wouldn't mind getting more from the same company, but if the stuff available in stores works ok, I don't see the purpose of paying for shipping when I can walk in and get it.

When I do a search for plimsolls(the spelling that Google gives me), I get a lot of stuff about cheapo sneakers. Can someone please provide a little more info about what these look like?[/QUOTE]
plimsoles-BK-prodProduct.jpg

Thats the ones..but in the movie they appear more of a ballet shoe..for the head appliance ive bought a thick bald cap..which ill be spray painting matt white..then painting the eyebrows onto this in black acryllic paint..I have also bought some long red fabric fur for the hair....as for the eyebrows ill be smoothing mine over using a pva glue stick (tutorials on youtube)..then ill be wearing a small afro wig under the bald head appliance to get that bump and round headed effect..and blending the edges of the bald cap into my face using liquid latex..then i'll cover the whole thing in white make up and it should be a perfect match.. hope this helps.

So do you have to buy a flesh-colored bald cap, or are they available in white? I always assumed I'd find a white one, but haven't had any luck in the brick-and-mortar shops. Someone else mentioned buying a ball the same size around as his head, cutting it in half, and turning it inside out. That was worn under the bald cap. It seemed to work really well for the bulge. If I can find one in the right size, I'm going to try that, because it will provide a little extra help hiding my hair.
Snowy, I'm doing the same thing for the wig - long faux fur. Are you just gluing the backing onto the bald cap with latex, spirit gum, etc, or are you going to glue pieces of hair directly on?

So do you have to buy a flesh-colored bald cap, or are they available in white? I always assumed I'd find a white one, but haven't had any luck in the brick-and-mortar shops. Someone else mentioned buying a ball the same size around as his head, cutting it in half, and turning it inside out. That was worn under the bald cap. It seemed to work really well for the bulge. If I can find one in the right size, I'm going to try that, because it will provide a little extra help hiding my hair.
Snowy, I'm doing the same thing for the wig - long faux fur. Are you just gluing the backing onto the bald cap with latex, spirit gum, etc, or are you going to glue pieces of hair directly on?

It was me who mentioned the Ball in another thread..Thing is over time the Ball shrunk and no longer fits my head :(.. I did buy a thick bald cap off ebay..and painted it white with white Acrylic paint..Then I used PVA Glue to Glue the Red Fur Fabric onto the Bald Cap and i painted the eyebrows onto the front of the bald cap.. When I wear the wig ill be using spirit gum along the front edge of the bald cap to stick to my head and also down the side of the Red fur on the inside to adhere it to my face.. Ill pop some picures up so you can see what it looks like.. Im happy with It so far :)

Pics:
wigs-baldcap.jpg

The original Bald Cap

62007_469651258452_577373452_6598708_7008981_n.jpg

Painted White With Red Fur Fabric Attached

60114_469651298452_577373452_6598709_1341541_n.jpg

Eyebrows Painted on in Black Acrylic

60114_469651303452_577373452_6598710_5229846_n.jpg

Side Shot.

The Hair is Long Fake Fur Fabric and it does backcomb very well..Ill be putting hairspray on it when i wear it on the day so its not brushed up well on the photos here..but you get the idea..Hope thi helps in some way.

Last edited:

I think the eyebrows need to be thinned and not so bulbous on the inner sides. his eyebrows are mostly uniform in width and much thinner.

I think the eyebrows need to be thinned and not so bulbous on the inner sides. his eyebrows are mostly uniform in width and much thinner.

Yeah i thought that..But I used this pic for ref and it appears not so..

Pennywise-pennywise-535051_800_600.jpg

Wonder if they changed throughout the movie at all.. I could thin them out I guess but looks ok when worn.

It was me who mentioned the Ball in another thread..Thing is over time the Ball shrunk and no longer fits my head :(.. I did buy a thick bald cap off ebay..and painted it white with white Acrylic paint..Then I used PVA Glue to Glue the Red Fur Fabric onto the Bald Cap and i painted the eyebrows onto the front of the bald cap.. When I wear the wig ill be using spirit gum along the front edge of the bald cap to stick to my head and also down the side of the Red fur on the inside to adhere it to my face.. Ill pop some picures up so you can see what it looks like.. Im happy with It so far :)
The Hair is Long Fake Fur Fabric and it does backcomb very well..Ill be putting hairspray on it when i wear it on the day so its not brushed up well on the photos here..but you get the idea..Hope thi helps in some way.

Thweet! Thanks for the pics. Those actually do help a lot. In shopping around, I've found two different types of bald cap - one is a thin latex, probably just used to wear underneath a wig as opposed to the nylon ones. The other ones I've seen look more like yours. They're displayed with the men's wigs, and are more what I was thinking of as the bald cap a clown would wear. I was afraid that a bald cap wouldn't take/hold paint, but now that I've seen the thick one, I feel much better about that. I might still use the ball idea to get that nice bulge on top of my head though. From your pictures, it looks like your cap also extends over your eyebrows too.

Thweet! Thanks for the pics. Those actually do help a lot. In shopping around, I've found two different types of bald cap - one is a thin latex, probably just used to wear underneath a wig as opposed to the nylon ones. The other ones I've seen look more like yours. They're displayed with the men's wigs, and are more what I was thinking of as the bald cap a clown would wear. I was afraid that a bald cap wouldn't take/hold paint, but now that I've seen the thick one, I feel much better about that. I might still use the ball idea to get that nice bulge on top of my head though. From your pictures, it looks like your cap also extends over your eyebrows too.

The Bald cap finishes just above my eyebrows..but ill be smoothing these over using a PVA glue stick.. And i recommend the Thick latex one as the thin ones tend to rip after one use and are quite flimsy.. The Ball Idea does give a great bulge effect though..but the ball i bought did shrink over time :( would be great if i knew how to sculpt and cast cause i would make a latex prosthetic with the bulge already there.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back