Pennywise costume from Stephen King's It

And Barbossa? That's pretty sweet. I'd like to see some pics if you have any. I'm kinda being naughty right now and using a computer someone left on XD otherwise i'd totally snoop around on that website more

WD...I don't have much of my Barbossa costume completed as of yet; mostly, just collecting pics and info to get started (again).

However, I do have a pirate captain costume that started out to be Barbossa...only when I discovered the 'correct' coat fabric was not to found in my area (and being a stickler for authenticity), I decided to change it to a 'generic' pirate (with Barbossa details) instead....

IM000422.jpg

IM000424.jpg

This costume was made back when the first POTC movie came out, so most people just thought it was normal, and part of the movie cast.

My intentions now are to try the 'authentic' Barbossa this time around, now that I have more info and sources to work with. :cool

Rob

Wow that looks really neat :3 I'm jealous <.< I'm so sorry for the late response on here. I've just been so busy lol. Almost done with Pennywise now and here's what the beast looks like (I only have to serge the inside of the left arm. I didnt get the serger until AFTER this was almost done unfortunately so I had to deal. I also have to add the red trim around the armpit/shoulder area.) :
037.jpg

036.jpg

WD...no hurry...I'm always here (as are the other folks, I'm sure)...:)

Again, your work is exceptional! :thumbsup

I've got a question: Did you make your own pom-poms from yarn?

Rob

WD...no hurry...I'm always here (as are the other folks, I'm sure)...:)

Again, your work is exceptional! :thumbsup

I've got a question: Did you make your own pom-poms from yarn?

Rob

:) ty very much I still have a long road ahead of me at getting better with things...I'm very hard on myself lol. I'm really trying to make it look the best it possibly can. The guy that i'm selling this to is so excited idk if he can contain himself haha. To answer your question though about the poms: Yes, I did make them from yarn. They were quite quite easy

Nice. I was going to buy a professional pom maker, but decided I could do it myself by looping the yarn repeatedly around a piece of cardboard, tying the middle, and cutting the ends...:)
Rob

Nice. I was going to buy a professional pom maker, but decided I could do it myself by looping the yarn repeatedly around a piece of cardboard, tying the middle, and cutting the ends...:)
Rob
Yep that's exactly what I did too lmao. Cardboard was right there so why not just use that ya know? I had to kinda trim the cardboard down to get the size I needed. The first ones I made were too big but got em to be a little bit smaller.

Looks like there hasn't been any activity for a while, wondering if anyone was planning to do Pennywise THIS year? I've got my costume being made by a good friend right now, and ordered my wig and nose tonight.

Was anyone else disappointed by how hard it was to find Pennywise type hair except on the few Pennywise masks? I was tempted to buy a mask from the UK that was cheap, looked nothing like Pennywise, but had the hair.

Ultimately I settled on a decent looking red curly wig with the bald pate, I'm hoping I can "iron those curls out" a bit.

I'm excited to be joining the ranks of Pennywises! =)

I'm really psyched by how straight the wig got. I poured two gallons of boiling hot water over it. Then the next day found more luck DIPPING it into a boiling pot twice. Once it dried my wife combed it out, removing the tangles, with a wide toothed comb.

pennywise3.jpg

Ok, here's my first picture with the costume all on. I'm very happy with it. Still have to make the pompons, and obviously need to do a trial with makeup, but man it's pretty close to accurate!

pennywisecostumetrial.jpg

I'm thinking of sprucing up my costume sometime soon. I want to use that bald cap tutorial and make a good one. The store-bought one I used and modified worked ok for a Halloween party, but I want something nicer for conventions and stuff.
I have to re-hem the legs, because they were done in a hurry for Halloween last year. I now have a vest pattern that looks pretty good, although I haven't found any fabric that will make a good match. I'll probably just use black velour and maybe sew some metallic thread into it. Now the question is, should I redo my sleeves with more accurate colors?

Would it help to blend in a bald cap with some liquid latex or wax? Then of course using the same make-up on the bald cap as you do your face to make sure they are the same exact color.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back