Pennywise costume from Stephen King's It

Re: Pennywise Halloween costume

Let me just say how much I hate the Spirit Halloween store sometimes. As I had mentioned, I decided against the first bald wig I looked at there, realizing that it was too thin and cheap. I went back in yesterday to pick up what I thought was a much nicer one. It was in the Men's wig section, and cost more than the cheapo one in the makeup area. I pulled it out of the pouch, and it was almost exactly the same! Cheap, thin, and no forehead creases. That's apparently the best one they have. Sadly, they had an "old man" wig that would have been perfect if the hair on it was red. It was a decently thick rubber with creased forehead, but the hair was gray.
I found a nicer one on eBay, as well as a nose. It's very similar, if not the same, as that one snottysnowy posted.

hi. new member here who is also going to halloween as pennywise. i have my clown outfit sorted but i'm struggling with the hair. snotty snowy, i really like your design of the hair and i really want to have a go myself. i need to get the red fur you've mentioned. do you have a link from where you got yours from? if not, i have found some online but just need to know if its the right stuff?? thanks in advance

Long Hair Fur - Red - My Fabric Place

hi. new member here who is also going to halloween as pennywise. i have my clown outfit sorted but i'm struggling with the hair. snotty snowy, i really like your design of the hair and i really want to have a go myself. i need to get the red fur you've mentioned. do you have a link from where you got yours from? if not, i have found some online but just need to know if its the right stuff?? thanks in advance

Long Hair Fur - Red - My Fabric Place

Yeah i would say thats the one..as long as its long red fur fabric im sure it will be fine..About the same price i paid aswell.. Got mine from ebay but looks good to me mate :)

Hey Snowy, when you attached the fur to your bald cap, did you just cut a rectangle that goes down over your ears, or did you shape it to fit around them? Pennywise's ears are definitely covered, but I wasn't sure if the fabric should actually be secured in front of them, or if the pile hanging down just covers them.
I got my bald cap today. I'm looking forward to getting fur and attaching it.

thanks for reply snowy. could i just ask, what sort of makeup will you (lois and snowy) be using?? i've been reading up online but i'm not sure whats the best to go for. would rubber mask grease paint be best?? i'm just thinking about the bald cap and my face blending into the best white possible. thanks

thanks for reply snowy. could i just ask, what sort of makeup will you (lois and snowy) be using?? i've been reading up online but i'm not sure whats the best to go for. would rubber mask grease paint be best?? i'm just thinking about the bald cap and my face blending into the best white possible. thanks

I'm just using store-bought clown white. I have a small containter of it left from another costume. I also have tube of the creamier stuff, just to try it. I've heard that cornstarch works well to powder over your makeup, and that it makes even the cheap stuff look good. Has anyone tried this?

Hey Snowy, when you attached the fur to your bald cap, did you just cut a rectangle that goes down over your ears, or did you shape it to fit around them? Pennywise's ears are definitely covered, but I wasn't sure if the fabric should actually be secured in front of them, or if the pile hanging down just covers them.
I got my bald cap today. I'm looking forward to getting fur and attaching it.

The bald cap has the bits that go around the ears cut already on the one i bought..when i laid the red fur I just basically wrapped it right round from the front sideburn bits around to the back..so it covers my ears..then i trimmed the sideburns a little bit so the hairline went along the same line as pennywises..

Mehron or snazzaroo will be fine mate..google them

My mom and I are working on resizing the clown pattern she had - it's the one I posted a scan of earlier in this thread. I realized that the sleeves are done differently than the movie costume, and it's a pretty significant difference. My mom is great at piecing things together, so she's helping me rework the pattern. We're actually making a new pattern out of an old sheet. Good lord, it's a lot of fabric!

So for anyone else who is making this costume and not using a purchased one, I thought I'd mention how I'm doing the stripes on the sleeves and collar. I bought purple costume satin(it's inexpensive and usually on sale this time of year) and am cutting it according to the pattern I'm using. I bought 1.5" ribbon in teal and .25" in as close to magenta as I could find. It's a little more pink than I wanted, but I couldn't find what looked like a perfect match and I needed to get started. I'm stitching the turqoise ribbon onto the purple satin so that I have purple stripes the same size as the turquoise ones. To me, it looks like the purple is a tiny bit smaller, so after that, I'm using .25" Stitch Witchery to iron on the smaller magenta ribbons at both edges of the purple stripes. It will take a few steps out of sewing actual strips of cloth together or trying to find the correct fabric, which would probably never happen unless I had it specially made.

Here's the faux fur I got to use as the wig:
006.jpg

Here's my bald cap:
baldcap.jpg

Here's how the turqoise ribbon lays on the purple to make stripes:
stripes1.jpg

And here's the pink/magenta ribbon I'm using, laying against what I already have pinned in place:
stripes2.jpg

Well, the sleeves are coming along. I was looking at the various reference pictures and was wondering - Does it look like the stripes on the collar are the same width as the ones on the sleeves? I was thinking they were, but looking again, the collar stripes might be a little more narrow.
Edited to add: I also noticed that the middle layer of the ruffled collar seems to be doubled over, instead of having a narrow hem at the edges, like the white layers have.

For the bulge underneath the bald cap, would a nerf-type ball, cut approximately in half, work? I think my cap is thick enough that it would hide the texture of the ball.

I have the body of the suit cut out and the zipper sewn in. The sleeves are striped and have to be fitted into the body tomorrow. Here is how the stripes turned out.
stripes3.jpg

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back