The melting nazi Toht from Raiders

Kredepops

This is a project that my wife is surely gonna hate, but never the less I feel it's too awesome not to do. My idea is to make a 1:1 Toht bust capturing his final moments of being liquified by the power of the Ark.

This is the image I hope to imitate:

0913_3_lg.jpg

So I got a really nice plastic skull with moveable jaw cast from a real skull - it just needs a little paint.

6203_m.jpg

I've ordered most of the clothes, fedora
glasses
!By9kD6Q!mk~$(KGrHqUOKjEEw()KsUq!BMT5cut3Hw~~0_35.JPG

and nazi pin.
nsdap-gold.jpg
What I don't know how to achieve is to create the 'melting' effect. I wanted some material that would run for just a bit then harden. Aside from candle wax (which probably won't hold up very well) what else will do this?

A friend in the effectmaking business advised me to sculpt it with Sculpy and then add a latex overlay in different colours. What do you guys think?

Well you could do it with silicone. They have colors for silicons so you could start with the red "blood" and move up to "flesh". They sell different catalysts for curing times so you can control the pot life which will help it from getting too messy. You can also add a thixotropic to get a less runny material. Try Smooth On or Polytech Both are great.

Good luck,
Jeff

PS you can use isopropyl alcohol and a tongue depressor to help smooth out the silicone during cure times

Well you could do it with silicone. They have colors for silicons so you could start with the red "blood" and move up to "flesh". They sell different catalysts for curing times so you can control the pot life which will help it from getting too messy. You can also add a thixotropic to get a less runny material. Try Smooth On or Polytech Both are great.

Good luck,
Jeff

PS you can use isopropyl alcohol and a tongue depressor to help smooth out the silicone during cure times

Cool, thanks! I just did a search on youtube and this video shows almost exactly the effect I need, they're just making a mold but it definitely works for what I need.

wow that's gonna be awesome...and creepy. It was one of those scenes you just
couldn't look away from.
Have you checked the bonus features on the dvds for ideas? I remember them
showing how the made it.

Just sculpt the detail on there with magic sculp or something and paint really glossy. Done.

Just sculpt the detail on there with magic sculp or something and paint really glossy. Done.
Apoxie sculpt would be better than magic sculpt as it is much softer to work with. But easier to just get a fairly quick hardening liquid... unless you want to recreate a particular look perectly.

Plasticine clay...and melt it with a heat gun.
You can get it in different colors...

We used to melt colored plasticine in electric skillets and pour into molds for Gumby.

:)

Oh you can paint it with acrylic paint too.

Quite the project! I am interested to see how this will turn out.

Just wondering, how much did you pay for your NSDAP pin? For my Hans Landa costume I shelled out 30 bucks for mine, I absolutely love the quality, but its quite a bit for a little pin.

Ugh, I can't stop looking at that screenshot. lol
I look forward in seeing some wip, I wouldn't even know where to begin.

Another medium you might try is 5 min epoxy. I have tinted 5 min epoxy with acrylic paints. You could also use universal tints. Also adding in a small amount of baby powder to the mix will give it more of a matte finish when dry. Perhaps combine this medium with another for extra drippy bits.

Thanks guys, sorry about the late reply. I recently became a dad, and for those of you who have small children you know how time-consuming that is :)

Right now I'm waiting for the clothing to arrive, and I'm looking for some kind of armature with shoulders to put the whole thing on.

JonKross - yeah I recently got a chance to watch it, it's amazing! I love how creative people were back then, today everybody just resorts to CGI.

rollerboi - That would be amazing...1:1 Ark is quite a project on it's own *LOL*

clutch - Thanks, I like that idea - it has to be something I can control.

Too Much Garlic - Thanks! Oh a fellow Dane! Do you know where I can get some? I don't suppose my local Panduro has that?

Hotshot - I don't know if Fuglsang ships abroad but it's worth a try? My good friend Anders Lerche painted it - he's a real master in mask making. Thanks, I'll try to get up some pics as the project proceeds.

Funky Jedi - Thanks, me neither :) - That's part of the reason I wanted to try and see if I could make it.

Sporak - Cool, thanks! I guess I can just use a Hairdryer to melt it?

Lonny - Thanks, oh that pin was expensive - £18.94 including shipping.

driekus13 - All ebay. Do a search for 'Vintage round glasses' the closest tie I could find was a Mark Jakobs, it's not 100% SA but close enough. The hat is a $20 wool fedora, I just wouldn't spend $200+ for a HJ. I havn't found the shirt yet, I have an old leather jacket I can use. The NSDAP pin can be found easily on the net, there are many recreations.

cristobal - Look above for the link Magnoli posted. It's a danish shop, so expect shipping to be a bit high :S

amityshark - You know I have some of that lying around. That might work!

Thank you all very much for all the great suggestions. I'm inclined to go with something I can sculpt like plasticine, but the epoxy glue idea sounds good too. I'll have to play around with it before I decide.

Last edited:
I finally got all the items I need. Now I 'just' need to glue, sculpt, paint and put everything together on a display bust.

It was a bit hard to find all the clothing I needed. I found almost all of it on the bay.

1. Plastic skull with seperate jaw. This needs to be glued into place so it will have the screaming pose :) £17

2. Shirt - I found one that looks VERY SA, white with thin dark blue stripes. White collar.$22

3. Tie - I wasn't able to find the exact striped tie, but this one will have to do. Close enough. $20

4. Jacket - black pinstriped blazer, double breasted. Very SA, was lucky with this one. The pinstripe is very discreet and with the same spacing it seems as on Toht's. Hard to find on a budget, but since I only needed the jacket - I got a nice deal on this one. $21.

5. Glasses - Vintage round glasses. Pretty SA, and an easy find. $5.

6. NSDAP pin - Reproduction from UK store. £18 - expensive for such a small item, but it looks really authentic.

7. Black Fedora - Cheap wollen one £20 but looks alright - I'm not gonna spend $250+ on a Herbert Johnson for this project.

I decided not to include the leather coat - you'll only see such a small portion of it anyway. It would make the bust too large I think. However if I find something really cheap in a yardsale or in a fleamarked, I might include it.

toht_bust_items_01.jpg

toht_bust_items_02.jpg

toht_bust_items_03.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back