punhulk

Ok guys so its time i have started assemble of my farnsworth from warehouse 13

last night i sanded down my faceplate and cleaned it up

tonight i weathered it and filled in the gaps of the lettering and numbers

paints i used were

kyrlon Satin Moss
Kyrlon Earth Brown satin finish
Rostuleum Flat black enamel

More pics to come tommorrow night im going to assemble all the gribbles on the face plate and than it will be on to the case and fitting the jacks magnets etc also still have to get the phono jacks
-------------------------------------------------------

Ok guys here are more pics case you are wandering what the blue thing is that is a wall brace for screws when putting up curtains what i did was cut it in half and used it as the connector piece for the left dial it snapped in perfect and allows the dial to be fully functually where i can move it but not worry about it falling off

I also hit a snag on my screen as i cant decide if i want to paint the backing white or black and i have to sand down my center knob and paint that before installing so again more pics going to try and get more work finished on it by friday as i have to work late thursday at my job

--------------------------
Ok guys next update everything is mounted and face plate is 95% done all i have left is to get the eschurian tacks bought and put in as for the case im waiting on the phono jacks once i get those ill mock up the case drill the holes than paint than install the jacks and the farns will be done

case you guys are wondering how, I mounted everything. I used hot glue for all the knobs. I used the blue wall mount brackets just cut in halfs to allow functional use of the knobs for the center rectangle and the speaker slits i cut a old speakers mesh off and hot glued that on. i also mounted low pull strength magnets and than took two small screws cut them down and mounted them on bottom of case so the face plate stays in place and wont slip out.

As for paint the center knob is painted Krylon satin Espresso and the screen is flat black

so more pics to come once i get the phono jacks

Final Pics guys

let me know what you guys think

Thanks
Matt

Last edited:
Re: My warehouse 13 farnsworth

how well does your faceplate fit into the case. Mine is going to need to be trimmed. Wondering if it is just my case?

all the faceplates from my understanding are a bit to big and you actually dont have to trim it you can just sand it down rotating from the top to the bottom so not to thin out one side to much than the other

i used 60 grit sand paper to remove material quickly and than i followed that up with a 220 grit to make it perfectly smooth to the touch

so after i did my sanding my faceplate fit like a glove in my wheatley case ill snap some photos for you guys tonight to show you

ya i hope to get on that soon tonight im going to work on adding the gribbles to the face plate and post pics of how the face plate fits

so more to come in a few

all the faceplates from my understanding are a bit to big and you actually dont have to trim it you can just sand it down rotating from the top to the bottom so not to thin out one side to much than the other

i used 60 grit sand paper to remove material quickly and than i followed that up with a 220 grit to make it perfectly smooth to the touch

so after i did my sanding my faceplate fit like a glove in my wheatley case ill snap some photos for you guys tonight to show you

Good tip, thanks!

thanks knight stay tuned as ill keep you guys up to date with any other techniques or ideas i use always glad to help

Great work! I just started watching the show and I was immediately drawn to the Farnsworth. I was even contemplating on building one myself.

I am just wondering what you are going to use for the screen?

Great work! I just started watching the show and I was immediately drawn to the Farnsworth. I was even contemplating on building one myself. I am just wondering what you are going to use for the screen?

ya Bro i actually already have the accurate dome screen i just painted the back of the screen with a flat black enamel its curing right now but once its done im going to mock it up drill the Mini holes for the tacks on the face plate(should have done that first but slipped my mind) and than ill have some pics of it hot glued to face plate

thanks for the info, i was worried my case was malformed
Prot so was i but i had both of synztax faceplates run one and run two and when neither fit i figured something was up. Once you do a little sanding though the face plate will fit like a glove also to keep her from falling out of the R Wheatley Make a securing device im going along the lines of Kwalsh im going to cut down a general screw into small bits and jb quick them on back of face plate and than super glue magnets to wheatley case ill show you guys what i mean im going to try and get it all said and done today so pics will be up later.

Really Cool! Artie would be proud!

Thanks Bro ya Artie cracks me up between him and claudia :love
im hoping if someone does a cluadia faceplate i can venture down that road as well and have both Farnsworths back to back also bought a nice old oak style plate stand for my Farn hoping it will be here soon so i can take pics of it all complete.

Stay tuned guys more pics to come

Ps i also have the electronics all ready to install so when you press the call switch the red light flashes the classic farnsworth buzzer sounds and than arties voice comes on talking about the warehouse Makes me smile everytime

Re: My warehouse 13 farnsworth Update 08/15/10

thanks braz more pics to come sometime this weeken i installed the eschurian tacks used #18 X3/4 which worked perfectly so now im waiting on my phono jacks i get thursday so i will get them mocked up and than paint the case install the jacks and than ill take those final photos stay tuned

I made the corner radius a bit smaller so it needs some filling/sanding to fit. i figured that was better than too small and leaving a gap.

that makes sense on why there was gap at end but its so small and almost not noticeble in person i may go back and try to mess with it but i dont think it takes away from the piece

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back