Hunter S. Thompson Jacket

SithsPadawan

Sr Member
so i want to make a Hunter S. Thompson jacket like the one from fear and loathing
its a replication of one actually worn by Hunter

the one i have been using has worked out pretty well, it has the right frump to it and size but i have always wanted to make this one
heres a few shots of reference
hunterjacket.jpg

n819159042_1610510_4127816.jpg

goodsideviewofhuntersthompsonpicture.jpg

Duke_depp.jpg

the first two are of Hunters jacket, the others are of the replication made for Johnny

so far only two people make this jacket
Cosplaysky, which is affordable but lacks lots of detail
and IndyMagnoli, which is almost perfect but costs a small fortune

but what im looking for is a pattern, something that matches the style so i can modify it

so far my Girlfriend was able to find this KWIK SEW Pattern 3123

which is pretty damn close, so ill probably use that if i cant find anything better

so yeah, any help Pattern wise would be amazing, thanks alot ^^

Last edited:
I'm wondering if you would be better off searching through shirt patterns, and then adding a lining for the added bulk?

The pattern you linked is missing a lot of the basic structural details, like the gussets. Plus it has extra panels. I tried finding something better online, but there was a serious lack of back pictures.

Since I practically live at Joann's, I'll keep an eye out for you :)

yeah i know, but things like Extra Panels are easy to get rid of
im pretty good with modifying patterns when i know how to do something

but its the Gusset im really looking for
i have no idea how to do that otherwise id just add it myself.

Bought a piece of history today! Found the same vintage brand/make shirt Hunter S Thompson wore at the 1972 Democratic Convention when McGovern was running against Nixon while Hunter was writing his book Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail. Bat Country Camo :ninja

75c07778-48a9-42a6-9cfa-35dfa16da338_zps19ec9d4e.jpg

Last edited:
Troy Little is wearing our Magnoli Clothiers Loathing Field Jacket at his SDCC signing of his graphic novel version of Loathing:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CJfUd8KWwAEE5_j.jpg

Do you have any more images of the jacket, specifically the drab olive depp version. I really love the style of the movie jacket which was a slightly different design. I found this jacket which seems to be out of production now http://www.highwatermarkclothing.com
They've managed to replicate the look of depp's jacket

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back