Sherlock (BBC) Coat - anyone found it?

Dave Ward

Sr Member
Anyone know what he's wearing? Reminds me of the 'Quantum of Solace' coat. I have a similar one from Express in the US but Sherlock's has a real "swooshiness" about it.

143090.png

Gonna be a hard one to track down - it's a Belstaff Milford coat from 2007, now out of production. Also, cost £1000! Ouch!

Info from here:
How Sherlock became stylish - GQ Style News - GQ.COM (UK)

Although this article seems to contradict the 2007 line:
Sartorial style of Benedict Cumberbatch's Sherlock Holmes points the way for British men | Television & radio | The Observer

And here:
Sherlock chic! Fashion? It's elementary, thanks to BBC - News, Fashion - The Independent

Hope that helps!
Coz.

I had thought it reminded me of Captain Jacks' coat from Torchwood, due to the cut& style - might be a starting point for a seamstress / tailor.

C.

The trick would be to make it relatively light - one of the great things about this coat to my mind is how much it moves.

It is a Belstaff Millford coat and it available at their stores as of now, but they are a bit pricy. I would have liked one till I found out that it costs 1350.00 pounds - that is over $2100.00 US dollars. I like it, but not that much

Personally I would just find a very cool vintage coat. I find that vintage coats are more distinctive and unique. You may even be able to find something very close to Sherlock's coat for a fraction of the price.

Belstaff-s-Sherlock-Coat-sherlock-on-bbc-one-14701815-724-1024.jpg

I saw that coat on Ebay. There is feedback from several buyers who are very happy with the coat. Unfortunately, I am REALLY picky about accuracy and there are a few details tat bother me. The vertical pockets are way too high. The buttons also need to be moved up and spaced wider apart (and aren't quite as nice as the actual coat's buttons). on the original coat there is also a button underneath the collar/lapel (visible in one of the pictures) which is not on the replica.

I used these three photos for reference to compare to the photos on Ebay:
http://goo.gl/YXUvE
http://goo.gl/C4hv
http://goo.gl/0vmNl

Look at the location of the pockets and the buttons. When I inquired to see if they could customize it for me, they said they could add the collar/lapel button but as far as moving the pockets and buttons they said "we will do our best, but the buttons is not that big a problem as you can adjust the buttons easily if you know how to sew(simple sewing skill)"

What bothered me about this statement is that they didn't seem to think about the fact that I couldn't move the button holes so easily. This kind of made me leery of asking them for any customizations.

Now, this all being said, it's a GREAT deal on what seems to be a great coat judging from the feedback. I'm still considering it. The vertical pockets are the only real deal breaker for me as they are so high that there is no way you could comfortable put your hands in them. Oh I wish it was perfect, as I really love this coat! But $2100 for an original is obviously WAY out of my league.

I kind of have a thing for coats apparently. I have a 9th Doctor Uboat replica from Magnoli clothiers (that I had him do many alterations on for accuracy...this is the 3rd or fourth one I've owned...long saga there), and Indiana Jones Jacket from Todd's Costumes, and an original vintage RAF Greatcoat that I've added buttons to to make like Capt. Jack's. Plus a Belgian Vintage Greatcoat just because it's really nice, and another jakcet or two. I think I need an intervention.

Im planning on making myself this coat for the winter, but with the removable fur collar also, will add pics when i begin, i know what you mean about detail, im a stickler myself.

In the middle of watching the series for the third time; FANTASTIC! It seems like many of the shows that come out of UK utilize clothing that can no longer be purchased.....or WAY out of the typical "pedestrian's" price range. I completely agree with a previous post: Makes me want to wera a suit all the time. Kind of like Daniel Craig's Bond!

Has anyone found a budget look-a-like? I have not found any at department stores that *could* even pass as similar.

Last edited:
Ive been considering one of the Ebay ones myself - but there seem to be several versions and not sure which would be the "best" choice.

It is a Belstaff Millford coat and it available at their stores as of now, but they are a bit pricy. I would have liked one till I found out that it costs 1350.00 pounds - that is over $2100.00 US dollars. I like it, but not that much

Personally I would just find a very cool vintage coat. I find that vintage coats are more distinctive and unique. You may even be able to find something very close to Sherlock's coat for a fraction of the price.

Belstaff-s-Sherlock-Coat-sherlock-on-bbc-one-14701815-724-1024.jpg
Finding this info took incredible investigative skill, lol I am seriously impressed. so much in fact, that I have been in touch with Belstaff Flagship Store in Manchester, UK. If you are interested in one of these, they are limited...i think out of production. Their last message to me:

"We have now received the MILFORD COAT in stock in a size large."
It seems that last remaining stock was transferred to this location. Just FYI

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back