Ultra Cal Question

Azurial

a few people i have talked to are reccomending Ultra Cal 30 for my casting needs since it is relativly cheap. i've only used small ammounts in the past, but im doing a comeplete armor casting and was wondering how much of the stuff do i need?

i have also considered using Mold Max 20 and alginate. i dont have a very large budget to work with so any help would be greatly appreciated.

For making the molds, I'd probably go with mold max over alginate. Mold max will hold up better in the long run.

Now, if by casting, you mean making the final piece of armor, I would not go with ultracal. Ultracal is a plaster, and that's definitely not the right material for a set of armor. Go with Smoothcast 300.

If you meant that you are going to make a mold with the ultracal, once again, I definitely wouldn't use it. I've always had trouble yanking a final piece out of a plaster mold. I tend to use plaster molds when I'm making masks, and not much else.

I understand you are working with a budget, but a lot of the time if you spend the money for good supplies you won't end up wasting money on failed moldings/castings.

Good luck on your project :)

thanks :) im planning on using a resin/filler mix for the final casting, but scince i cant really afford the mold max, i was looking for an alternative

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back