4 foot dia. Independence Day Saucer

ewokus

Hey guys - wanted to know if there would be any interest in this: I have a casting out of the original molds of a 'City Destroyer' saucer as seen in Independence Day (Icons had the molds, and I worked there for a bit). I figured out a way to break the ship up into segments so that it can be made as a model kit for the fans out there. Probably around 18 cast pieces, most in fiberglass for strength & lightness, as well as a machined aluminum armature to give it strength. Being hollow & segmented will allow you to go hog-wild on fiberoptics if you want to light it up too. Breaking it up and creating more of a model kit of the ship will allow it to be shipped to almost anywhere in the world - leaving it as is in it's 4' diameter glory is great, but the logistics of getting that big a casting to fans really, REALLY causes problems, so that's another reason for the 'kit' version... So now the question is, should I do this? Are any of you interested? Please see my 'Speeder Bike' post to get an idea of what I can do on a large scale... Thanks for your feedback!

Hey, I might be, pending price, I love Independence Day. It would definitely be showpiece a t 4 feet in diameter. Just as a word of advice for next time, this should be in the Junkyard thread. ;)

I'll get one. It would go great with my 3 foot Troop Transport :rolleyes You paint yours yet Rick? :love
George

Hey, any indication as to the cost of one of these? I would LOVE one. That movie was amazing. I still watch it every 4th of July.

I'm hoping to have a much better idea of cost in about a week - metal armature is from another source, so I have to get the design made and over to them to get a quote... I'm hoping for it to be in the $750.00 range, but I won't know for sure until I get some more cost analysis done...

Would love the shell castings. Here's hoping they will be clear FG. :) I prefer to engineer my own structures though, so I might not be keen on getting the armature. . .

Hey all -

I've been swamped with work lately. Will try to get pics up this weekend. If I decide to do this, it will probably be a project that's at least 2 - 3 months away...

Finally got some time to get some pics. The underside pics have some dust on the saucer. The 'bridge fin' is in a box somewhere, so that's why it's not in the pics. I put a CD case in some of the pics to show you how big this model is. The 3 holes in the top are there for wiring up the model to hang - the castings will not have these holes.
P8140061.jpg
[/IMG]
P8140062.jpg
[/IMG]
P8140063.jpg
[/IMG]
P8140065.jpg
[/IMG]
P8140066.jpg
[/IMG]

Don't take my words in a bad form but I can't see too much details on the top of the ship but the bottom.....my god....it is really, really marvellous :love

Hello there im new to this sight just seen ur model of the id4 cith destroyer love that film do you have any of the moulds left for sale it looks great have to have one thanks.

The top of the ship has no detail like the bottom does - it has fine lines scratched in all over the top, then a faux finish of 3 shades of gray paint on it. If you look closely at the 2nd pic, you can see some of these fine lines... The underside is flat black with metallic dry-brush effects all over it. I do hope to get kits of this made in the future - busy for the next 2 months or so, but after that I hope to get started on this...

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back