Dollar Store Arc Reactor Contest! (Winners Announced)

Well, I had a LOT of FUN with this contest! Thank you Darth for getting it started. I hope whatever is keeping you away from us isn't serious and you'll soon be back. Special thanks to Orange_Blend and Jason1976 for picking up the ball and running with it! Y'all brought it to a splendid finish!!

Kudos to all the entrants for builds well done and congratulations to all the winners!! I was surprised but delighted I got as many votes as I did and a prize, too because they all were some great builds!! Thanks to all of you who voted for my entry!!!

Here's the gist of my build, the little "intro" something I came across when I was researching what the arc reactor was (no, I didn't know when I signed up!!)........I liked the technobabble.......
.......for the details of my build, it's all there at > My Custom Arc Reactor

AR%20build.jpg

In the beginning.....
AR%20build%20stuff.jpg

Shylaah

Ok, here's the deal folks. Par for the course, with this contest, we have hit another snag, in that our 1st place winner (Knightjar) has not posted his prize choice.

Normally I would say "it's only been a day" or "not all of us live on the boards, he may have a life that is keeping him a way from the compute, give him some time." etc. etc. etc.

However, I happen to have received a PM yesterday, from another member, forwarding a quote from our Knightjar, saying that he maybe away from his computer for the next WEEK. :(

I have PMed Knightjar,and got no response.

So, as much as I want to encourage patience about this, you have all waited far to long for this thing to come to an end.

So, here is what we are going to do. I think first place should get one of the larger prizes (monetarily speaking.), so I'm setting aside the gift cards, for absent 1st place winner Knightjar. (not just because of there value, but because of there versatility. I'm sure he can get something he would like with them. )

We will now continue down the list, starting with the 1st place winner in the Custom Category. (Steveng) Then the 1st place winner in the Movie Accurate category (Jedifyfe), and so on, in the order posted in my earlier post. As stated before, after you have posted your prize pick (in turn) please PM me with your Mailing address so I can pass it on to the person who donated your prize.

And, please lets be patient. Let each person post in turn. Keep in mind, most of use have real lives, and don't live online all day long. And please bare with me, as I sort through your PMs, and forward them on to the people who donated your prize. Every prize will be given out, and each one will get to the person who picks it, just hang in there. :)

Oh, and I know some of you may not like my decision, in regard to our first place winner, and I do understand, but he got 1st in "best over all", for a reason, and I think that should be reworded. Plus, we don't know why he is not here to claim it at this time, it could be a very, very, good reason.

I have a problem with the way the, ahem... "winner" was decided for Best Movie Accurate. A coin flip? Really? If I were the losing person on that coin flip, I'd be pretty ticked off. You should've done a third party vote by just taking one member who Hadn't voted yet and sent them a PM with the choice. The user would have to have agreed to do it and keep the results a secret until announced. That way, it would've been an actual win by vote and not by a stinkin coin flip which means nothing other than they won because the coin landed on the right side. A coin flip should NOT have decided which Arc Reactor was better.
Can a coin think and have an opinion, NO
Can a user think and have an opinion, YES

You might say, it's luck either way, but there's a key difference. The coin isn't judging anything. It just gets flipped, and lands. A person would actually judge the Arc Reactors, decide which one they think is better, and vote. Also, remember that NO ONE ELSE WOULD KNOW THAT IT WAS DONE. Don't say it would be unfair, it would be as fair as the rest of the voting was.

Frankly, I strongly disagree with how the tie was handled and, though nothing can be done about it this time, urge anyone who is planning on holding a contest to handle a tie in a way that is more fair to the 2 contestants in question.

That's my 2 cents on the matter,
Later,
Shade

Last edited:
Great thanks gang. I need you to PM me your address, so I can have your stuff mailed out.

Next up is 2nd Best Overall - A - FOTOKID, and so on. :)

Hello all. Sorry for not replying immediately. I'm currently away from my computer and am struggling to get to grips with using a borrowed iPhone to post this. I did PM Orange_blend to warn him that this might happen.

I'm very excited to have won (and surprised considering the incredible quality of the other entries). Thank you to everyone who voted.

Unfortunately, I don't think I can use the Best Buy certificates where I live. Could I instead please take Jedi_fyfe's Iron Man set? I think it would display very nicely with my reactor (a shame Darth vanished as I did like the look of the helmet he offered!).

I will post build details for those that would like to know as soon as I can - but it will probably be a week before I'm able.

Hello all. Sorry for not replying immediately. I'm currently away from my computer and am struggling to get to grips with using a borrowed iPhone to post this. I did PM Orange_blend to warn him that this might happen.

I'm very excited to have won (and surprised considering the incredible quality of the other entries). Thank you to everyone who voted.

Unfortunately, I don't think I can use the Best Buy certificates where I live. Could I instead please take Jedi_fyfe's Iron Man set? I think it would display very nicely with my reactor (a shame Darth vanished as I did like the look of the helmet he offered!).

I will post build details for those that would like to know as soon as I can - but it will probably be a week before I'm able.

I will switch your prize to the Paper prop lot, just make sure to PM me or jedifyfe, your mailing address, when you can.
Steveng, if you would prefer the gift card, please post it here, and i'll let you have them instead. If not it will fall to jedifyfe, and so on. (we will get this all worked out. :) )

I have a problem with the way the, ahem... "winner" was decided for Best Movie Accurate. A coin flip? Really? If I were the losing person on that coin flip, I'd be pretty ticked off. You should've done a third party vote by just taking one member who Hadn't voted yet and sent them a PM with the choice. The user would have to have agreed to do it and keep the results a secret until announced. That way, it would've been an actual win by vote and not by a stinkin coin flip which means nothing other than they won because the coin landed on the right side. A coin flip should NOT have decided which Arc Reactor was better.
Can a coin think and have an opinion, NO
Can a user think and have an opinion, YES

You might say, it's luck either way, but there's a key difference. The coin isn't judging anything. It just gets flipped, and lands. A person would actually judge the Arc Reactors, decide which one they think is better, and vote. Also, remember that NO ONE ELSE WOULD KNOW THAT IT WAS DONE. Don't say it would be unfair, it would be as fair as the rest of the voting was.

Frankly, I strongly disagree with how the tie was handled and, though nothing can be done about it this time, urge anyone who is planning on holding a contest to handle a tie in a way that is more fair to the 2 contestants in question.

That's my 2 cents on the matter,
Later,
Shade

I really do see your point, but there is nothing I, personally, can do about it. The voting, and tallying part was all done by Orange-blind, and it's up to him what he wants to do about it.

Even if it was up to me, I would say, it's a very, good point, but what is done, is done, and we should just keep that in mind for the next contest. (but that's just me, you'll have to see what OB says.)

I agree that there are MANY things in this contest that should have been done differently. Jason and I are merely trying to bring the original mess to the smoothest conclusion possible.

After all the crap that's gone on in this contest the decision was made to not drag things on any longer. Further voting to break ties would have done that. I understand the frustration but that's the way it is and there is nothing "unfair" about a coin toss. If it makes any difference the last vote (made immediately after the voting closed so it was not counted) was 6,B,6. This would have given "B" the win over "A" as is the way it sits now. Consider that the tie breaking vote.

I agree that there are MANY things in this contest that should have been done differently. Jason and I are merely trying to bring the original mess to the smoothest conclusion possible.

After all the crap that's gone on in this contest the decision was made to not drag things on any longer. Further voting to break ties would have done that. I understand the frustration but that's the way it is and there is nothing "unfair" about a coin toss. If it makes any difference the last vote (made immediately after the voting closed so it was not counted) was 6,B,6. This would have given "B" the win over "A" as is the way it sits now. Consider that the tie breaking vote.
Even though it didn't count, the vote would've came out the same so it's enough to please me.

We have traveled through to another dimension -- a dimension vast, confusing and unending; we have just crossed over into...The Twilight Zone!

Shylaah

What does the Iron man bag and film cell look like? Ive seen everything but those two things.

Oh also guys get your build pics up, I bet Im not the only one dying to see them.

Last edited:
Ok, I got a PM from Steveng, saying that he would like the gift cards. Fyfe, you can stick with the "fun pack" or switch to the bible pages, and then after that we will be back on course, from here on out. (I hope. :lol)

Ok, I got a PM from Steveng, saying that he would like the gift cards. Fyfe, you can stick with the "fun pack" or switch to the bible pages, and then after that we will be back on course, from here on out. (I hope. :lol)

I'll stick with the Fun Pack. Thanks!

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back